Watson Mill Bridge State Park - Comer GA

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by papachaz, Jul 23, 2012.

1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

We spent 5 days and nights here this past week. a very nice state park and campground. this park has over 15 miles of horse back riding trails (BYOH) and several miles of hiking and mountain biking trails. The main feature of the park is the 229 ft covered bridge that was spans the south fork of the Broad River. It was built in 1885, and is the longest covered bridge in the state of GA. it's maintained by the GA DOT, and serves as the focal point of the part.

the main campground has 20 sites. most are pull through, and very spacious! in our time there, i didn't see a single one that wasn't shaded. all have gravel for the driveways and pads. most have additional space for tents to be set up. all had power and water hookups. there is a dump station, but no other places to dump gray water. the sites are spaced apart quite well, and as already mentioned they are very big! we had no problems with space with our 27' TT, the 13x9 tent the DD brought, and parking for 3 vehicles!

we saw all manners of wildlife, birds, squirrels, deer and wild turkeys. on thursday night, a large barred owl landed just about the TT and seemed to enjoy scaring the beegeebiees out us with her loud calls!

there are 3 separate pioneer campgrounds, where they have only tent pads and one central water spigot. area 3 is right on the water!

along with the bridge, there is a dam across the river, the area below the dam is very accessible for playing in the water, one spot where the water goes off the rocks makes a natural water slide, we saw lots of people enjoying it! a good place that the locals all know about for coming to cool off on a hot summer day!

also down the river are the remnants of an old power plant. it was built in the early 1900's to provide power to a textile mill about 10 miles away. it's an easy hike down to explore it.

to go along with the horse trails, the parks has very well maintained stables that can be rented, and 12 campsites that are on a loop right there by the stables with water and power hookups. several of those sites also have hitching posts right in the camp! nice to be able to ride your horse right back to camp! this camping area also has it's own dump station, and two concrete areas with hitching posts for the horses to be tied and rinsed down, hose provided!

the staff there was very friendly, and they have a DNR Law Enforcement Officer who lives on site. they've just regained State Park Status, so the gift shop wasn't stocked very well. they do have one of the best wildlife displays i've seen, a full sized deer, turkey and beaver, along with several squirrels, birds, an opossum and even a skunk! They also rent canoes and paddle boats, when the water level permits.

all in all i'd give this park, campgrounds and trail system a 9 out of 10. the only two negatives i saw were: the dump station is in the campground loop on the way IN, not out. this means that if you have black and gray tanks to dump at the end of your stay, you have to circle back through the campground. not a big campground, so not a real big deal, but still set up kind of funky in my opinion. the other thing is the whole campground is on a single well, and the water pressure isn't great. taking a shower in the camper was 'challenging' [LOL] but not impossible.

we WILL be making plans to go back, most likely this fall. the majority of the trees in the campgrounds are hardwoods, so the fall colors are going to be awesome!

2. PopUpMan

PopUpMan New Member

Great review! On the way back from A Tugaloo trip I drove through both Watson Mill and Victoria Bryant. Liked them both and have them high on the list of getting back to for a weekend. I was glad to see Watson Mill regain State Park status.

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

We've ridden through Victoria Bryant as well, it looked nice. several things i liked about it also. we wanted to go up to Tugaloo while we were that close, but it was getting late, we couldn't get there and back down to Ft Yargo, so we chose Ft Yargo instead since it was on the way back home. so how was Tugaloo? i want to get up there and/or Richard B Russell when it cools off enough to fish some

4. PopUpMan

PopUpMan New Member

Ft. Yargo is another one where I want to spend a weekend. I like those lakefront sites across from the Yurts.

Tugaloo was nice. It's a big park with a lot of boat traffic. Their boat ramp is huge! Lots of fishing going on there. The campground is large as well. Most of the sites are not waterfront (the waterfront sites are listed as premium sites). I had one on the water, but with the water level so low it was more like camping next to a mud bog. I'd definitely camp there again, though. They do have a number of sites that are not very level and if you backed a longer trailer in it would be next to impossible to get it leveled due to the driveway incline. Just have to pick carefully.

Tugaloo has one site which really interests me. It's a "primitive site" ( I think #1), but actually has it's own vault toilet and water spigot. So, if you can deal w/o electricity it would make for a great site. It is isolated all by itself and in heavy woods...but easy to pull a PUP up into. You would have to drive to a hot shower...but I use a tankless water heater that has a shower attachment that I could use.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

thanks for the info on Tugaloo. we did ride through Ft Yargo, and they do have a lot of waterfront sites. we weren't overly excited that we'd hurry back to camp though, the sites are right on top of each other! we're like you though, we do want to eventually say we've camped in all of them at least once. and there is at least one we won't bother going back to, but that's just a personal thing. the next on our list is either Ft Mountain or Ga Veterans. and this fall for sure we're going to do Blackrock Mtn

6. Tolleykatz

Tolleykatz New Member

Can you get a pop up into the pioneer campgrounds here?? We camp with a large group of tent campers and now we just bought a pup....we'd like to still do the primative thing away from the big campgounds....but still use our pup...

Thanks
    Sara

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Hey Sara! with my disabilities, i don't do a lot of walking, so i didn't actually get down into the pioneer campgrounds to see how big the sites were. From what i saw of a couple of the tent pads close enough to see, i don't think you could, but you can call them and ask. 706-783-5349 is the park office number. you can go to gastateparks.org and read up on all of them :)

8. Tolleykatz

Tolleykatz New Member

Thanks!!

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Great review of the park. Sounds like you all had a great time! Georgia has some great state parks!