WD hitch

Tom72

Oct 16, 2021
Vallejo, CA
Thanks for all of the helpful advice, much appreciated.

One question, how tight should the friction bar be? a turn past snug? Tight as hell? I can't find any info on this.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Most friction bars are similar. I have a Curt. It takes a pretty firm turn to put the handle in the "On" position. There is an adjustment bolt on the bottom that is used to add or take away resistance. Overtime, the friction pads will wear and this bolt may need to be turned to adjust for more resistance. With that said, I have used my sway bar 7 seasons and have not had to adjust it.

dalefan4ever

Jan 31, 2010
Hey everyone.

I have a 2002 Coleman Bayside, weighs 2600 empty, with what I have in there I am guestimating currently 3300. I tow with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the upgraded tow package, tops out at 4500. I have an antisway bar, one of the flat friction bar types.

So here is my situation. Friday was my first time pulling this camper a long distance, about 120 miles (just got it a month ago, only pulled it 20 miles home, if that, and no freeway) and I found that even with the anti sway bar it started to move on me right around 58-60 mph. Not horrible, but I could feel it and it's not a comfortable feeling. I tried dogging the bar down tighter yesterday on my way home, but that didn't seem to help, still would get movement around 58-60 mph. I have no problem keeping it at 55-56, as the speed limit for towing here in CA is 55, but I don't like the idea that it will start swaying just a couple mph more.

So my questions are:

Should I spend the 600-700 dollars and get an Anderson WD hitch with built in sway control?

Should I get a cheaper WD setup with the steel bars and use the anti sway bar I have with it?

Should I add another anti sway bar to the other side and not do a WD hitch?

Should I just leave it alone, drive 55, and get used to the feel of this trailer?

Is there an option I am missing?
I installed a draw tite friction sway bar and sway was stopped. These campers allow this type of hitch sway bar due to the full frame. One plate gets drilled and bolded to the frame and an adapter is added to the tow ball.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Oh I'll add one more observation from my ownership of a Bayside. I already mentioned that I used a sway bar and found that new tires made a difference. For me, in my experience with the trailer, any time I did not have bias ply tires with the highest load rating I could get, I would have sway. Radials did not perform as well as bias ply, I assume because they have less sturdy sidewalls.

Again just my opinion and observations. No Radial vs. Bias Ply flame war needed :huh:

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
I normally get the bar pretty dang snug, but not quite as tight as I can get it. Ive yet to adjust the nut.

Tom72

Oct 16, 2021
Vallejo, CA
I installed a draw tite friction sway bar and sway was stopped. These campers allow this type of hitch sway bar due to the full frame. One plate gets drilled and bolded to the frame and an adapter is added to the tow ball.
I have a friction control sway bar. Still got a bit of sway above 57mph. Just ordered a new one to see if it works better than the one that was given to me when I bought the camper.

Tom72

Oct 16, 2021
Vallejo, CA
Here is what I did and how my ride went this past weekend:

Replaced the tires on the pup with radials and maxed out the psi
Maxed out my Jeeps tire pressure
Loaded a little heavier on the front
Got a new friction sway control bar
Had my Jeeps alignment done (don't know if this helps, but worth mentioning)

MUCH better ride overall. Was able to do 60 comfortably (and it was really windy), could have pushed it, but 55 is the towing speed limit here in Norcal and I don't need a ticket

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
Sounds like you might have it all solved. When someone mentioned adding bricks for more tongue weight I thought I'd mention adding something useful. I'm really liking now having 2 batteries rather than one, and I have 2 propane tanks (one tank now has a cord going outside for the grill and a propane campfire - we often have "no campfire" sites).