WDH compatibility

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by anothersmith, Apr 24, 2019.

1. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a 2014 Forest River 2514G for about $8k. Since I'm towing with a family loaded Minivan I'm taking no chances and want to get a WDH if compatible. Where would I find this information? I've read that some trailers aren't compatible with WDH.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

And what make model & year is the Tow Vehicle?

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Which minivan are you towing with?

IMHO, you could be taking a big chance towing a fully loaded pup that big with a fully loaded minivan. It is never a good thing to tow at max capacity.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

2014 Forest River RV Rockwood Premier 2514G.
    Sleeps 6
    Hitch Weight 303 lbs
    Gross Weight 3303 lbs
    Dry Weight 2446 lbs
    Cargo Weight 838 lbs

Unless you have some kind of Super mini-van this is too much camper

wusthof and Orchid like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

In regards to a weight distribution hitch. All C frame campers will not be capable of using a WDH unless you reinforce the frame. You will also need to read your tow vehicle manual to see if it's allowed. According to my manual I am not able to use a WDH with my 4 runner.

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I tow a similar popup with my Chrysler Pacifica and I do not use WDH. Based on the details posted by @bols2Dawall the dry and gross weights of your pup are within spec for my Pacifica. My popup is 2500 dry (with the ac unit, your dry likely does not count on that).

However, the 303 hitch weight would be an issue for my Pacifica. My popup has a hitch weight of 240 lbs (on paper, it is actually higher loaded). I do experience more sag then I would like, but I have not yet had any issues towing with about 1k towing miles so far. I also have to be smart about how I load the front storage bin.

I would recommend rear suspension air bags if they are available for your minivan (they are not available yet for my Pacifica unfortunately.) I am also considering a WDH but have not gotten one yet.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Whenever someone posts about mini vans here all the haters come out

Jonson01 likes this.
  7. gec66

gec66 Active Member

+1 for needing more info on the mini van. Even if the trailer is fine for a WDH it doesn't mean the van or the hitch itself is. Setting up a tow combination, especially when playing near the max capacity of the TV, is fairly involved and the proper homework has been done. My setup is technically over the gross combined, but within all other specs and it took a lot of work to get it there. The WDH is actually capable of transferring too much weight to the front axle of the van and overloading it if not adjusted right. Not saying you can't get there, but much care should be taken.

8. wusthof

wusthof Member

I towed with an 07 Honda Odyssey....I wouldn't even think of towing that much weight....it was bad enough with a little Coleman.....est rolling loaded weight of 2200lbs.... You'll cook everything you have in that van. Dude....don't do it. My .02

Orchid and bols2Dawall like this.
  9. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks for the replies.... Sorry for not showing the Mini van data. 2012 VW Routan SEL. Labelled towing capacity 3500lb, but doing the math comes out like below.

GCVWR 8,750.00
    Curb Weight 4,595.00
    GVWR PUP 3,284
    Leaves 871lb for cargo.

10. wusthof

wusthof Member

My odyssey had a 3500lb tow capacity as well. Are you gunna be on flat roads or in the mountains? What is on paper and how the van "IS" are two totally different things. I still stand by my comment above ^. I now tow a 3400lb trailer with my Ford Flex and it has 365 hp and similar torque. She goes good and brakes ok when all loaded up. Sorry man....I just can't see towing that heavy with ANY minivan or similar....it's just unsafe. My .02

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  11. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Going by the dry weight

Do not forget these numbers factor in 800 lbs of cargo in the pup. Figure the AC is 100 lbs if you have one so 700 lbs of gear in the pup and 871 in the van.

I am going to get all kinds of haters for this but this is doable on the east coast, but it is your call. You will have to be careful about how much gear you bring, and I would not tow long distances with water.

All that said I only know about the Pacifica which has a very reliable Penstar V6 and I did a bunch of other research first. I would recommend finding a forum for your van and seeing what people post about towing.

12. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks Matt. No AC on this unit and we don't intend on using the toilet. Most sites we tend to camp at have water for the dishes, we will just need drinking water. I can't see us loading 800lb of cargo in the PUP. We have our cooking gear, clothes, bedding, kids toys etc and thats about it. Being generous that could be 300-400lb.

In the van would be the kids, food, scooters and drinking water. Again something around 400-500lb should be max.

I have not found a forum with the Routan since its a VW but is really the Town and country that VW took over for a few years. Since it is an SEL, it came equipped with the towing package which included heavy duty cooling, load leveling rear suspension and a transmission cooler.

13. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You’ve done your homework and are good on your weights. The 2012 Routan has the first generation Pentastar V6, which as @mattlreese said, is highly regarded. The OEM Mopar hitch for the Town and Country is rated for WDH, so you should be good on that too.

I’d shoot Forest River an email or try calling them to see what they say about the pup.

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    anothersmith likes this.
  15. wusthof

wusthof Member

I know the Pentastar is a decent powerplant..... tow pkg, load leveling blah blah. The only way I'd be rolling the dice is if I were on mainly flat roads/hwys. I dunno.....it just seems like your want affirmation that you have a good combo and have nothing to worry about. Go git em tiger.....I've already said my peace. Gl

bols2Dawall likes this.
  16. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Appreciate all the opinions here, wether agree or disagree with the setup. I’ve been looking for a while now, done a ton of math and tried to do due diligence.

I know I’m in the upper range of the vehicle towing capacity, hence double checking the math and asking questions of folks who, hopefully, have more experience than I do. I’ll take all the feedback and then make my own judgement on what to pull with my minivan.

Put in perspective I haven’t gone out and bought a 3500lb trailer without first doing some real research.......

Flipped in NH, Dan Wilson and Orchid like this.
  17. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

My original TV was an 06 Oddy.
    I was at the max and I hated it.

I had WDH with friction sway control, tran cooler, ps cooler, trailer brakes. I made it work on paper.

Short weekend trips to close by SP’s were OK.
    Weeklong trips to the beach or mountains were terrible.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I tow close to max, here in Florida with my Odyssey. However, if we head into the Georgia mountains, we use a truck. The van pulls great, it's stopping in the mountains that scares me. Our camper is about 200 lbs lighter than the one you are looking at. In my opinion, where you live and will be traveling to, to some degree dictates how close to max capacity you should tow.

Of course there are always the tow Nazis who will tell you to not pass 70% of capacity, no matter what. If you listen to some people, you need a Peterbilt to tow a pop-up. And then some will tell you that you can tow an Airstream with a Ford Focus. I think you just have to take everything into consideration and use your own common sense and judgement, along with the numbers.

As far as the WDH, I think just a sway bar is enough for most pop-ups. And I would think a WDH would add a lot of unnecessary weight, even if it were compatible.

20. Rudy4536

Rudy4536 Member

Look at the Andersen WDH.
    i used one on a Tacoma, nice light WDH.