WDH on Pop Up and Dealer Can't figure it out

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Cecil, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

I have a Blazer (1999, not 1998 though). Great engine and transmission. Solid TV. Tow capacity should be about 5K with this vehicle. Consider having a transmission cooler added and remember to tow in "3", not "D".

On the flip side, we have had problems, about 1x per year on average, with some non-engeine/tranny component or another (power window motor, heater coil, etc.) . But we use ours as a primary vehicle, so maybe you'd experience less problems there. We have experienced that these rigs really need their regularly scheduled maintenance, otherwise things break. Ask the seller for records on rear end, radiator flush, transmission, etc., scheduled work.

2. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Thanks Oski. Question. This blazer has the ball mounted on the bumper. Rated at 3500 trailer weight and 350 lbs tongue. Would this work or should I get a Class III hitch if I went with this setup. I would install a tranny cooler as well. For not a lot of dough this TV might be a solution.

3. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

Note that I edited my original response to clarify a couple of things.

To your question, I am not sure but it seems to me you'd need the Class III hitch to fully take advantage of the Blazers tow capacity. If the ball mounted on the bumper has a 3500 tow capacity wouldn't the ball more or less get you back to the situation you have with the Odyssey of pushing the capacity? I had the C III hitch installed at a U-Haul - it is not expensive. I generally tend to err on the side of caution on these things, so I'd proably look at that getting that done on this rig.

4. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

The Blazer you list would fit the bill. It is a high mile-er so as with anything allot will depend on how well it was taken care of.

On the hitch question to Oski88.... I agree and I prefer a receiver type to the bumper hitch. It gives you a bit more flexibility and a bigger load capacity

5. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Do Ford Explorers with the 4 litre make good TV's. I found a nice 1999 Eddie Bauer as well. Just want something dependable and not prone to tranny, engine failure. thanks

6. AZemptynesters

AZemptynesters Member

Cecil,

You might also want to take a look at used Toyotas. Possibly a Sequoia, 4 Runner, or Landcruiser. High mileage is not a problem for these vehicles.

Dan

7. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

One note.....you won't be able to use a WDH with the bumper ball mount. You'll need a receiver type hitch that the WDH receiver will fit into.

8. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Another option is to go back to an '08 Fleetwood Westlake we liked as well. This will take a WDH. It weighs dry 2135. Can the Odyssey handle this? thanks

9. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Cecil, I'm glad you're listening to the experiences here.

Here's another thought. Consider that this won't be your last pup, and as your family grows, you'll be wanting/needing more space. I'm sure there are several here that have stayed with theirr original pup, but I'll bet it's a minority (...hmmm...might make for a nice survey?)

That said, I think you're on the right track by shopping for a sturdier TV. I loved our Odyssey, but the Westlake you're talking about is still just 350 lbs. or so below the Odyssey's maximum weight capacity. You're leaving yourself very little room to grow, and the experiences here are clear...you WILL grow in your need for more capacity.

Those are just my current thoughts. Keep asking the questions.

Ed

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Please stop referring to an UVW or a dry weight.
    If you must, add 600-800 on to that weight.
    It would be better IMO, to use GVWR or 3000 for a '08 westlake.
    Doable with a properly equipped Odyssey

11. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

I agree with rabird's first 3 statements.
    I totally disagree with his 4th statement. There are several dozen entries in this thread that agree with me. In addition, there are many other threads that have discussed this exact issue over and over.

Your GVWR behind the bumper of a modified Odyssey is less than 2600 lbs., period. That will put you at 100% capacity, which is "doable", but hardly desirable.

Since I'm on my soapbox again, I would also advise you, after your purchase, to have your fully loaded rig weighed. I weigh mine twice every tow season, just to make sure I've not done something stupid with my loading/storing of items. You will be amazed how quickly the weight of your gear adds up, and how quickly and easily you can go over a pre-determined limit.