Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Unnecessary but potentially beneficial

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Renee Wymer

Aug 15, 2020
I jumped the gun and purchased a WDH from Harbor Freight after reading a bit on the forums. My TV (Ford Flex AWD with Class III tow) manual says to use a WDH if towing over 3500lbs (which we never will, as 3500 is the max weight on my pup).

And while we're at it...sway bar? My TV has some sort of sway control feature.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I vote C according to your manual and what you say your max trailer weight is.

As far as the sway control goes, it wont hurt and may be beneficial. One of my Ford trucks has built in sway control. I still use a friction sway bar.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
A lot of Pups specifically say 'do not' use a WDH on them because of potential to bend the frame at the tongue of the pup. Check your owner's manual or on line if you don't have a manual.

Start with this ^^ then actually read on line how to determine if you need to use a WDH.. As the vehicles manual is as generic as most trailer manuals..

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
can you say tongue weight and cargo weight rear of the vehicle axle?
Is the rear axle of the Flex near max? Cat scale loaded for camping axle weights?

Renee Wymer

Aug 15, 2020
Ok, read pup manual and it seems like I don't need a WDH, but it is compatible and can only help, not hurt. I really appreciate those of you that offered advice without snark. Thanks!

Renee Wymer

Aug 15, 2020
Start with this ^^ then actually read on line how to determine if you need to use a WDH.. As the vehicles manual is as generic as most trailer manuals..
Thanks. The generic nature is what led me to ask for more advice here. It's all so vague. I've already purchased it and have an appotiment to have it professionally installed, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money. Anything that makes towing easier on my TV and potentially safer all-around seems like a good bet.

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
Good luck and when you head out some time stop at a cat scale and get weighed, worth the $12. I prefer all no living cargo in the trailer

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I vote other. A WDH probably won't make a lot of difference one way or the other. But as long as the Pup manufacturer says you're OK there's probably no harm. But I wouldn't trust a WDH from Harbor Freight as far as I could throw it, and that's not very far.

If you really want a WDH, one of those Anderson WDH would be a good choice for a light camper. They don't weigh a lot and are fairly easy to install.
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/weight-distribution-kits.aspx

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
The Harbor Freight WDH is way too much for a pup. It’s rated for 1,000 lbs tongue weight. You need to match the spring bars to the tongue weight of the trailer or it could be too stiff on big dips and damage either the pup or the TV. You’ll want a WDH rated around 500-600 lbs tongue weight (really should weigh it loaded to make sure).

With a heavy trailer I wouldn’t be scared of it just because it’s from HF. After all it’s just a chunk of metal and a couple chains.