We are off to Ratcliff Lake and Davey Crockett NF

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Danielflading, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

we can not wait to get on the road tomorrow, this is my birthday trip and our first time to ratcliff lake. hope to have a great time, will report back on the campground soon.

2. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Looking forward to reading your experience at Ratcliff Lake. We have considered camping here, but haven't had the chance. We're going to San Augustine Park for Labor Day. It will be our first trip there.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Have a great trip!

4. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Have fun and let us know what you think of the park.

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I have tent camped at Ratcliff several times. I mostly camped there to hike the 4 Cs trail. I have never camped there with the popup. I have also tent camped in the Davie Crocket. I love going to that area in the Dog Wood season. I would love to go there in the Fall, but that is deer hunting season and I don't think hiking during that period is the greatest think.

6. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

Re: We are off to Ratcliff Lake and Davey Crockett NF, PARK REVIEW

First thank you all for the good wishes, it was a wonderfull birthday trip. only 2.5 -3 hour drive from Tomball area.

Well here is our report on Ratcliff, We Loved It! very spacious sites, clean when we arrived, the sites actually have a gate across each individual site that is kept locked unless the site is occupied. large picnic tables, large fire pits, water and elec hookups were like new!
    the swimming are was very clean and well kept, nice concession stand with decent food and prices. We rented a paddle boat for $10.00 and hour and had a lot of fun. lots of wildlife to see, birds, butterflies, etc.
    My wife has proclaimed this her favorite park for the laid back feeling and wildlfe and hiking trails. Bathrooms were clean and trash was emptied daily. overall we lked the park and will be go back. sites are $15.00 with elec and water. hot showers are only in bathrooms 2&3 but they are on the elec loop were our site was. when we arrived thursday there was only one other camper on the elec loop, we saw only like 2 tent campers, the park was very empty and quiet, nice to hear nature and not stereos. we had the swimming area to ourselves for the first day and it was really nice, the water was warm but not hot and cooler in the deeper areas, a nice place to swim.

only downfall was we did not catch any fish!

7. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Does that park take reservations? If so, who do you contact?

8. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ratcliff_Lake_Recreation_Area_Tx/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75227&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

or if that link does not work go to www.recreation.gov and on hter left side enter park name "ratcliff lake recreation area" and that will pull it up.

you can make reservations online or call the 800#

Dan

9. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Thank you for the information