We counted all the campers we saw on the road

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by rob22202, Jul 28, 2020.

1. rob22202

rob22202 New Member

The kids and I were hauling our camper from Raleigh NC to the Virginia mountains last Sunday and counted all of the campers we saw on the road during the trip. We saw 139 total and only 3 were popups. Are we PUPs really only 2.1% of the population?

craiglepaige likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Must be because it is so hot in your area. I see lots of pop ups in New England.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I agree with 1380ken. Probably due to the area. I'd estimate that 25% of the campers I see in Michigan are popups.

Sjm9911 and campfire Joe like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I see a few here in Fl., lot of people are changing to A type, and teardrop as they are easier and faster to set up and take down also AC works better due to less canvass.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Same here.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Member

i'm a 2.1%er in raleigh ;-)

Alan, PA-Scott and campfire Joe like this.
  7. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Southern Wake County here. . . . I camp primarily at Jordan Lake and find that in any loop, there are only 3-4 pop-ups. . . . . So a bit higher percentage - but not by much.

Pam

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do see more pups up north also. But i can see them getting phased out. The new ones are pricy and people can get a small TT for almost the same price. And im betting the TT are cheaper and easier to build.

sandreas likes this.
  9. netslacker

netslacker New Member

I live in VA and I can attest, there are very few popups here. When we go to a CG in VA we are typically one of the only popups. However, when we go up to PA to one of our favorite spots (2.5 hours away) the CG is about 20+% popups.

CathyJ and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The RV Industry shipped 24,790 RV's in May 2020 classified as "Towable". Under the sub category "Folding camping trailer" which includes popups, A frames, and a few other types from select manufacturers such as Sylvansport and such, they shipped 528. Thats 2.12% of all units shipped in a month and not all were Popups.

CathyJ and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  11. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

That's a whole lot of Squatting Minivans out there!!

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

In Ohio there more than 2.x%. My trips to PA is the same.

New camper buyers I'm surprised is even 2.x%. The large surge of new trailer buyers caused by Covid-19. They don't want to stay in a hotel or rent a cottage. They want self contained trailers with a shower they can actually use.

13. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

Back in the mid 90's when we were tenting we walked a large SP campground (398 sites) and discovered that PUP's were very popular. Guessing somewhere around 30-40% were PUP's, there were a small percentage of tents and the balance of course were TT's. So we set out to get ourselves a PUP. This past weekend we walked a SP campground (only 53 sites) and other than ours we only saw one PUP and one A-Frame.
    So that works out to be about 5.66%!
    Ask any accountant, you can make numbers work for you or against you depending on the desired outcome! Old accountants don't die, they just lose their balance!

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I would agree that they are decreasing in numbers. When I'm out in mine there are usually only few in the campgrounds with me. Someone mentioned it earlier, but the cost for new are really high.

Also, I think people in the U.S. just want more space. The average new home size has increased over 60% in the past thirty years. It would be interesting to see new camper size as well.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think it may be a combination of things, one being location and perhaps the next cost.
    My younger brother was looking for a camper. When he noticed that new popups was in some cases more than a TT he asked me, “why would you want a popup if you can get a TT for equal or less money. So to say he is now looking at TT, then again he has a work truck he can use to tow with.
    At one time I think popups may have cost less, but now a days they are pretty close to being neck to neck. Also think more and more Americans have vans, suvs, and trucks at least for their second car and fall for the RV sellers “sure you can easily tow this” slogan. :rolleyes: I live in VA and see about the same results you do.

Orchid, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We didn't count the RVs on our trip to the Sierra Nevada last week but there were a lot. Also a lot of tenters. We checked out a PG&E campground we'd heard about to see how it was and it was chock full of every type of camper. (No hookups--PG&E or not, it's still way out there.) Popups too. Everybody is camping. The bears are psyched.

No popups at our campground though--trailers can't get in so it was just tenters and a few truck campers. Not a generator to be heard. Every spot filled.

17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

No exact figures, but I'd guess 3-5 pop ups most everytime we go; mid size TTs are common w/ a teadrop/A frame thrown in once in awhile, & I've seen some freakin' campers on rare occasions that looked like they'd take up both lanes of the interstate. Still plenty of tenters, a few up in years too...guess the Sylvansport Go qualifies as a "pop up" since you have to crank that muther up, lay out the bed rails, sleeve the sides & awning poles etc, but the wife prefers the teardrop, so rather than take a physical beating & be humiliated by walking around limping w/ a swollen face, that's what we take...

CathyJ, Orchid, John2006 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I was talking to a guy who has a cousin who is an RV salesman and he told him that TT are selling like hot cakes and a lot of people are buying them for quarantine spaces. Parking them in the driveway or yard just incase one of the family has to quarantine.

CathyJ, John2006 and Rik Peery like this.
  19. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

The only problem with getting a TT vs a same price pup is that the TT will most likely be tiny in comparison after the pup is opened up. If it's just 2 people then no big deal but a family of 5 won't fit in a TT unless it's 30+ feet long or close to it with a bunkhouse. Pups are easier to tow and store too. There are lots of factors to consider when buying a camper and shouldn't just be the price tag. If that's the only thing they consider, they're likely buying a new camper in a year or two.

CathyJ, mcgillclan4, sandreas and 4 others like this.
  20. arge

arge Active Member

This is what I noticed too, the less and less popups on the road and camps. I didn't kept a tally, but I remember seeing only one other popup on the road on my last trip (short one 45min away) and at the camp only one and that one was mine. Alberta, Kananaski county.

Rik Peery likes this.