We counted all the campers we saw on the road

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by rob22202, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We live and camp in Louisiana and usually we are the only pop-up at the campgrounds. Around here people almost seem to compete to see who can buy the biggest camper. I have no desire to have to pull a camper the size of a semi trailer. Two weeks ago, we took our pop-up on vacation to Colorado and we saw tons of pop-up while we were there. There were 5 at the campground we were staying at but we saw maybe 20 or so on the road being towed while we were there.

2. Johnklee

Johnklee New Member

We were camping at Rollingview / Falls lake last month; only saw a handfull of popups on our loop, and most were late model like ours. We are camping at Jordan lake this weekend... I am curious if the number is even less due to the hot weather. We have had our 2004 Coleman Tucson for six months and have hit 3 state parks and 2 private campgrounds so far, and the number of popups we have seen were similar each time.

3. onyoursix

onyoursix New Member

I have owned 3 canvas pop ups and as we got older, we wanted something easier to set up. Perhaps you’re seeing the older Populations moving from pop ups to travel trailers or even like us, an Aliner.

4. hbmetzger

hbmetzger New Member

Our last two trips camping here in Florida we were the only popup in one campground and one of two in the last. Last year we went up to the Georgia mountains and were the only popup among big RVs. It's a bit like the redneck girl going to the prom in her cutoffs, old t-shirt and a ball cap. We definitely were odd man out. We've since sold that popup and bought a larger one. However, in the back of my mind I am thinking of going over to the darkside and buying a tt. It would be for ease of set up at our age. (Which I am not telling anyone. lol)

5. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

My kind of girl!:)

jmkay1 likes this.
  6. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Lots of pop ups in Colorado! We also generally boondock and go where you can’t bring a giant trailer.

7. MamaK

MamaK Member

I can't address whether more folks are opting away from PUPS but I can share this. My DH and I went to the darkside in 2018 for several reasons. We are older and stiffer and as much as I love the openness of the PUP retrieving supplies from under benches, setting up to cook outdoors and just setting up and breaking down became more physically demanding than either of us liked. I miss the extra sleeping space when we want to take the grandkids along but love the refrigerator/freezer and shower which make life easier. Set-up and take-down are also much simpler. I wouldn't trade any of the memories from our pop-up days but having a private room on wheels has made some trips much easier and probably just a little less expensive.

CathyJ likes this.
  8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I counted the campers and rvs on my delivery route today...specifically from Hanover to Lancaster PA (about 1-1/2 hrs). I counted 37 total and no pups. I'm amazed at truly how many campers are out every day. More Wednesday through Friday but still there's soooo many more this year than previously.

9. aleym

aleym New Member

You want more space open the door.

10. Mark Willy

Mark Willy New Member

We replaced our Bethany 8 sleeper pup with a new 96 Rockwood pup. Last year we replaced the Rockwood because the aluminum roof coroded away and the wood rotted. We got a great deal a on an Apex Nano 15X hybrid. We really love the two queen Tented bunks, but at our age and health, the quick opening and bathroom with hot shower is great for us and our grandkids. Price and weight identical to the Rockwood highwall. 15 foot plus hitch 18.5 feet. Wood have to get 30 foot hard side to equal. We saw many Hybrids and PUPs at Adirondacks Fish Creek campgrounds this past weekend. There is something for everyone that enjoys camping, and I don't care what others are using, just great to camp with people that want to be outside. The best people I have ever met! Thanks to all of you. God Bless America!

11. campfire Joe

Love Fish creek campground. We will be there in mid Sept. That's when we get the nice Cool Clear Mt air! and Frosty mornings:)

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Pop ups are definitely the minority, but we still see them fairly often. At the main place we camp, we have never been the only pup in our loop. Not even once. There is usually one other one, but have been as many as three others at once.

I have seen an A liner in person exactly once. I have never seen anyone camping in a teardrop. I have seen them on the road, but not actually in the campground.

There is usually at least one or two tents when we camp. Even this week, as hot as it is in Florida, we went through two state parks and between the two there were over a dozen tents.

Most common units are TTs, of course. A few 5th wheels and motorhomes, but TTs are everywhere and the majority.

13. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

We're heading up to Fish Creek on the 10th!...

Happy Trails

campfire Joe likes this.
  14. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

Even Slim Potatohead got rid of his Aliner!

Jack Sprat and kcsa75 like this.
  15. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

At the start of this century I was averaging about 50 nights backpacking a year. I would be chatting with other backpackers and commenting how folks in tents and pups were lazy and not really camping. RVs? You might as well just stay at a hotel! Crowded, noisy, campgrounds were high priced ripoffs.

Then we started base camping a bit. After a full day on the trails a wide mattress was a welcome respite. I could put in more miles and come back for another day.

Then the base camping gear kept expanding. Soon it was going to take a trailer to carry it all. We saw a used pup and became lazy.

Then if we were going to be towing this thing we felt like we needed to use it every night. A three nights on the road trip became four nights on the road because of the time to stop and set up and breakdown.

Eventually the dark side made sense.

Lazy? Yeah. As soon as I stopped backpacking.

But that's my path, it's not the same for everyone. Fulltimers in a class A or 5er have different needs. And on and on.

CathyJ likes this.
  16. Alan

Alan Active Member

I'll bet there are about 5% to a 10% max on pop-ups camping in the Sierra. Most people want to take their home with them it seems. We don't have many campgrounds with water and power hook ups, resorts, yes. To me parking the 40' trailer 12 feet away from some other 40' trailer with 9 slide outs, hooking up to power and water, running A/C while setting inside watching TV waiting for your micrwave popcorn or sitting under an awning eating copious amounts of fat ladened foods while swilling alcohol, is not camping. Yeah...I know it's a little exaggerated! My wife didn't understand my interest in a tent trailer until she sat in one, now she loves it. You're indoors but it's like you're outdoors. We use ours to prepare and eat meals, bathe and sleep in; otherwise we're out walking, hiking or kayaking. Sometimes we'll jump in the truck and explore the area within an hour or two from our camp.

17. adkdave

adkdave Member

I took a survey of PUP's in the campground we were staying in last week and counted 10 of them out of about 100 campsites. That may be a bit unusual, but they're still around. I guess it depends on where you are camping.

campfire Joe likes this.
  18. Alan

Alan Active Member

We use ours, too! It is pure luxury to be able to shower before bed time after a long day, hiking or kayaking. I always call forest dirt, dirty dirt - it's powdery and sticks to you like...well you know.

19. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I love Jordan simply because it is so close to home and I know the park so well. I can camp there and go to work every day in Raleigh/Crossroads area if need be. I suspect if I lived up in N. Wake County, I would favor Falls Lake. The parks are similar in set up. However, a couple of differences - Rolling View at Falls has winterized water connections in at least one of the loops and Falls also (check their website to make sure as it can change) has 24 hour access. Jordan shuts off the water to individual sites sometime ~November (depending on temps) and since Covid, has reverted back to locking the gates at night and not reopening them until 8am. Both parks, though, are really lovely to camp in.

20. campfire Joe

Have fun! we'll be there in Sept. site #47

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.