We had lots of iron in the fire this weekend.

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by nfisherman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

We camped with some friends this weekend. Somebody suggested that we have a DO cooking contest. There were no rules, no prize and no formal judging. It was perfect. The first pic is a pork shoulder that became pulled pork after 7 hours in the DO. It was wonderful. The second pic shows the DO happily doing its job. That may seem like a lot of coals on top, but it was a cool day and I wanted to brown the pork before the slow cooking started. The last pic shows one of three cobblers that we made. No one went away hungry.

There was no formal judging, but the winner was a pork adobo that was amazing. The DO will be getting more use as the season gets going. Cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

[:)O]

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Totally off topic, but nfisherman....you are only like the 3rd person I've met in my 53 years who understands your signature line. A guy I dated in another life, was a water heater distributor, so man did I have to learn the lingo! [LOL] [LOL]

Shoot, 3 of the inspectors who were here at our new house before we bought it, ALL called it a 'hot water heater'. I just gritted my teeth and smiled so he wouldn't fail me for pay back. [LOL] [LOL]

ps...can you send a doggie bag, please? [:)O]

[:D]

4. yetavon

Make it 4 Dear.... [:D]

5. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I will second the sig line comment. Just a pet peave I have. Now back to the cooking. I have been wanting to do a pulled pork recipe in my ovens, but don't have the patients to keep coals at temp for 7 hours. It looks really good, so I may try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

6. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Yum!!!!! So how much charcoal did it take to cook the pork, from start to finish?

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Pulled pork [?:~{] Some sort of tug-of-war with pork?

or just more colloquial vernacular

CHEVY CHASE
    [on the phone] No, you're not supposed to blow on it - that's just an expression.

8. yetavon

That's why I brought the smoker to the Sewer....plug it and still tend to but don't have to mess with fire. and it turned out fair

9. shelmily

I would love to bring my smoker camping... oh wait, I don't have a smoker. [:(]

10. yetavon

Trade for a chuck box? [:D]

11. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

I'm puzzled by what Yetavon meant by bringing the smoker to the "Sewer." Sometimes you have to hate auto-correct. :)

Pandpcamper, I started with a partial 20-lb bag of charcoal. I probably used 5 or 6 pounds.

For those who said smoking the pork is easier, I respectfully disagree. I used to try to smoke pork shoulders, but I gave it up. I couldn't keep them lit. [}:)]

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

nfisherman, I hold an annual rally in Wilkesboro, NC called "C U @ the Sewer". It's mid October and this will be the 3rd year.

Term wise, you read correctly. My rally is held at the Wilkesboro Waste Water Treatment Plant, ie, the Sewer! It's a gorgeous place, no smell, not a real campground, so it's cheap, you can have adult beverages, and your only neighbors are fellow portal members (Sewer Rats)! Nice dump station, heat/AC in the NICE brick bath houses, we usually park under the trees, all electric, potable water pipes here and there, but not on each site. Click on my little camera and check out the photos. They're not all there because WebShots screwed my downloads up. I'm STILL trying to fix all my albums.

And all monies go to the Fireman's Family Fund, because most of or all the plant workers are First Responders and Vol Firemen. Oh and firewood is FREE. Of course, the wood is there, but it's sometimes been a little wet. Last year we ran into a little of that but one of the "real men" brought out his mini torch and man, did we have a fire after that!!!

I'll be posting the start of sign ups in May as I'll be at that same spot for Merlefest the whole last week of April. [A] [A] [A]

Maybe you can make it this year!! [A]

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Geesh, I gave you a new toilet! Can't you get your wife to buy the smoker? [:O] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

[;)] [:D]

14. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

RotnMom, now I understand. That sounds like fun. Thanks for the thought, but I don't think we'll make it. That would be a long haul from St. Louis.

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Aw c'mon....shelmily drives down from PA! And this year he's bringing his new rig! I can't wait to check it out!! [A]

16. shelmily

Are you kidding me!!! I just bought a new truck and camper. I'm lucky that she buys me food. [LOL]

It was close to a 9 hour trip for me. True, it is a long haul, but it was a great time. So good I am planning on doing it again this year (with a new HTT)

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. (wheels turning) [LOL]

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Isn't she going to start camping with y'all with the new rig and all? If so, great! If not, sigh. Can't wait to see the new rig. The photos are great. I'm going to have to sit on all the seats and open all the cabinets and storage area and just be a nosy Nancy. After we take care of Uncle Sam, we're thinking about a small hybrid or TT. Something lightweight our truck will pull. It's an F150, but I just mean we wouldn't get anything over 16-20' probably. I think I can get used to 8 more feet while passing or backing up.

SO glad y'all are making it again this year!![A]

Before you trade yetavon for that baby DO, please remember I'm willing to pay cash and don't know a thing about it. Truthfully, it may end up as a planter! [:!] [LOL] [LOL] Not really, I wouldn't do that to a DO. But it's the perfect size for me, with a little leftovers! Whatever the trade, give me first crack! Ok!? OK!?

Keep your chuck box. I'd make him build you a collapsable corner table with removable legs. [8D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] WIN WIN WIN, eh?? [A]

18. shelmily

I like the way you think! [}:)]