We have a new family member!

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by 2girls1boy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

DH and I picked up our new addition yesterday morning. So far so good. Neither of us have had a puppy before so there is quite a learning curve but everyone seems happy. Our other dog was around 8 months old when we adopted him so the "puppy" stage was pretty much over. Hopefully she will be ready for camping in May when we have already booked a trip.
    Any suggestions on affordable puppy chow, whining in the crate, good teething toys or any other words of puppy wisdom are welcome.
    [​IMG]

2. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

Congrats on the new puppy! So are you going to change your user name now, to include the dog? [:D]

One thing that worked for us with teething was bitter apple spray. When the puppy starts chewing on stuff she's not supposed to, you can spray it (the furniture, not the puppy) with some of the apple spray - it tastes terrible. It helped with our dog quite a bit to limit the damage she did while teething.

3. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

Set up a routine. It helps them to get to know when stuff is to happen and it lets you eventually relax. I believe also in keeping puppys occupied with walks and play time then are too tired to get into mischief. Autumn loves her crate, she has one in the house and in the van for travelling and goes to the one in the house whenever she feels she has to get away from us(like I said keep them occupied ha ha). Most of all keep a good sense of humour and enjoy that wonderful looking puppy. And if any damage does occur blame it on a new home decorater ha ha. Our pup now has a doggy door as Autumn wanted in when we were away for a bit. Was upset about it at first but then she stuck her head out the hole so happy to see us and so proud of herself to be in the camper. We have patched the hole since but we still call it the doggy door. Laughing helps thru the mistakes.

4. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Congrats, she sure is pretty. For whining in the crate, I suggest crating her when you are not home to hear it. She will learn that whining doesn't get anybody to come let her out and she should soon give up on it. Also give her something she loves while she's in it. For my girl it was one of those indestructable bones and an old towel. She destroyed the towel but it was no loss.

We also left the crate open when she wasn't in it so she could go in and explor or retrieve her stuff. We don't crate her when we're home so can't help on how to deal with that, but Piper goes in without issue when we leave so I assume she's not bothered by it anymore.

She's still only about 10 months old herself and for the most part stopped chewing on things inside the house. The yard however is trashed. My friend's have suggested a shock collar. IT sounds cruel, but they learn very quickly what not to do. You just have to very vigilant in it's application in the beginning so they learn consistancy and associate the unwanted behavior with the discomfort and don't just think something is hurting them.

We try to keep plenty of rawhide available and get our girls outside to burn off energy as much as possible. They've learned to sleep when we sleep and play when it's time. Good luck.

5. wardog

wardog Member

Our dog is now about 1 1/2. She is the first one we have ever crated. I was not excited about the thought of it but soon realized it was best for everyone. She is crated when we leave the house and originally crated at night when we went to bed. Her crate is in my daughter's room and at first she cried a lot at night. We soon discovered we had to have the room dark for her (say goodbye to the night light). It didn't take long for her to settle into the routine. She now sleeps in the bed with DD. Sometimes if she has not had enough exercise before bed then when find in the morning a few little mishaps books, wires, toys what ever she can find to keep herself busy. We still don't leave her out when we leave the house because she doesn't like being left home [;)] but all we have to do is tell her to go to the kennel and she runs straight to it and goes in. I am really glad we kennel trained her.

Good luck

6. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

What a sweetie! I just want to reach through my screen and and pet her!

Can't help you with the crating as we have a dog door to a mud room for my 3 to go in and out at night. But for chew treats-Greenies and I learned long ago that most dog food does not have enough nutrition to them and to give them vitamins. I alternate between Pet Tabs and Walmart dog vitamins. The vets think anything other than the stuff they sell is "junk food" for them. Maybe. But I can't afford their food. I just had the works bloodwork run on my 10 yr old border collie mix and she was perfect. I feed her Alpo [:)O]

7. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

aww......too cute........SCmomma

8. tbond

tbond Gig'Em Aggies!

Congrats on the new family member! Looking from the size of the feet, she is going to be a big girl. Science Diet Large Breed Puppy is a great dog food. You can usually buy it from a vet's office or at petco/petsmart. If you are looking for a diet that you can get a walmart: Iaams is prob the best. No matter what type of food you decide on, be sure to get a large breed formula. All the information about crating has been very good. The only addition I have is: Don't use the crate as punishment. You want the puppy to like the crate, so don't associate it with something bad. My dogs love kong products. Their favorite is the Kong Wubba. To keep the dogs interested, I have a "toy bin" so they can "choose" their toys. My 1 1/2 yo lab loves to pick his own toys. It is really funny to see him over by his toy bin trying to figure out what he wants to play with. He will pick one toy up, drop it, pick another one up, drop that one, and return to the first one he picked up. It makes me laugh every time he does it. Be patient and good luck!

9. mrsnv

mrsnv Member

Congratulations on your new family member!! Ethan wants to tell Jacob, "aw lucky!!!".

10. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Aw, what a beautiful baby girl!
    Routine, routine, routine!!!! Just like with an infant or small child...

As far as training, we have a ranch home-with an open living/dining/kitchen area. I closed off the bedrooms so I could see the pup at all times. If she started to chew something she wasn't supposed to, I would make a loud noise and then substitute that item with a Nyla Bone or rope toy or something else from the pup toy bin.

As for crating, out of five dogs my just-turning-two pup is the first I've crate-trained, as I now work full time and couldn't be around to watch her 24/7. During the day she gets crated in a bright and sunny room. I give her a Nyla bone and she is fine. At night, I close the blinds and put a sheet over the crate on three sides, leaving the part against the wall open for air. She knows when it's bedtime!
    And on weekends, she would get overly tired with all the activitiy in the house, so I would use the crate as a time-out or naptime, that way other dogs got some peace and a break from her, and we did too. After an hour or so, I'd let her out.

I also taught her to ring a bell for pottying. After Christmas two years ago, I bought a jingle bell with a suction cup on sale at Target. I stuck it to the patio door at her level, and every time I let her out, I took her paw and "hit" the bell first. Now she lets me know when she has to go out by ringing the bell with her nose. In fact, she even lets me know when the other two want out/in also!

Another thing that sometimes works with training is a child's squirt gun. If the pup is doing an unapproved action, you can try squirting them to startle them and divert their attention away from that action. This has worked for others, but it hasn't been as successful for me.

Good luck with you baby!

11. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

Thanks for all the info and congrats. Its really appreciated. I have to say so far so good. She is really bright and takes very well to direction. Tomorrow will be 1 week since we brought her home and she is on day 3 of no accidents and goes to the door to go out. She has learned that a loud "HEY" means to stop what you're doing and her and our other dog really seem to enjoy eachother.
    Can't wait to camp with the whole "pack" in the spring!!!!!

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

She's a beauty!

13. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Beautiful pup, nothing will warm your heart like a golden!

Whats the little girls name?

14. Goldens

Goldens Member

I have heard that a wet facecloth tied into a knot and put in the freezer and given to the puppy after being frozen helps with the pain and inflammation associated with teething. I wish your new friend many happy, healthy years. :)

15. mn_guy

mn_guy New Member

I second the Bitter Apple spray for chewing on stuff they're not supposed to. Also, read Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan. Excellent read that gets you into the mindset of your dog. We read it when our pup was 1 year, but I wish I had known about it beforehand.

I'm also a big proponent of getting them out for a walk everyday and crating them when you're away and at night. We make sure to leave the door open on it so that she is welcome to go in there when she feels like it, and she frequently does when she wants to snooze. Crating makes house training so much easier because of a dog's natural instinct to not make a mess of their 'den.'

As for dog food, DW did a lot of research on dog food and found Nutro to be a healthy diet at a good price. http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdogprod.shtml They have different types for different dogs -- guessing large breed puppy would be a good fit for you and yours. [:D]

16. IM14U2NV

IM14U2NV New Member

CUTENESS!!!!! Love me some 4 legged love!

17. GrizzlyGirl

GrizzlyGirl Too many to count!

A work about the dog food. Compare serving sizes. Cheap food means lots of fillers so you have to feed quite a bit more. Good quality food had higher quality ingredients and much smaller serving sizes so price per serving is actually less.

18. Hollyhoff

Hollyhoff New Member

I always used Iams.. then switched to Purina one... they are satisfied and don't get all the fillers in their food.....

19. Sub1ime14

Sub1ime14 Member

[EDIT 4/3/2017] Happened to notice this old comment where I recommended Merrick. They have since been purchased by Purina (aka the profit hungry devil). We switched to Fromm.

What a cute dog! They're always cutest when sleeping (and not getting into trouble as a result!), aren't they?

As for food, it's not exactly cheap, but we use Merrick brand. If you use an all-natural dog food from a reputable manufacturer (with an ingredients list of items all of which YOU would actually eat), then you're going to have far fewer health issues in the long run. It may cost a decent amount for the bag of food, but it's still cheaper than the hip replacement surgery 10 years down the road...

Enjoy your new pal!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  20. Goldens

Goldens Member

Any current pics of your girl? We'd love to see how she's grown and an update on how she's doing!