We have brakes - who knew? now what?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by JeepMama, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Peter got under the pup tonight and we definitely have brakes (drum brakes he says).

This gives me tremendous relief b/c I feel safer knowing we could stop the pop up, being that we are towing with a 2 dr. wrangler... We deliberately bought something with a GVWR of 1750 to be below the 2000 lb rating on the jeep. We intend to pack VERY LIGHT! If we need to bring more stuff at some point, we'll outfit the Honda Odyssey for towing. Or eventually we'll buy a 3rd vehicle with more towing capacity.

We have the 4-prong connecter on both the trailer and the TV. Peter says we need to get 6 (or 7?) connecters installed on both. Is this something he could do himself? he's fairly handy. He is hesitant b/c its a safety thing and he thinks professionals should do it.

Also, once those are installed, we'll also need to to operate them from the TV, right? there is some kind of controller thingie?? Do you purchase those specifically for the TV or are they universal?

And should we have professionals check the brakes anyway, since it doesn't appear that the previous owners used them at all????

2. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Along with that 7 prong connector you also need a brake controller wired in. Its not difficult to do, but some of the newer vehicles need special wiring connections.

3. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Jeep mama

Here is some info you'll probably want to look at... http://www.etrailer.com/faq-installation-of-brake-controller-from-scratch.aspx

It IS something you can do yourself, BUT if you are not sure of your (or your husband's ability) it would be a good idea to check with a pro after you have done it (Or pay the money and have them do the work.)

If the camper has brakes, it will need to have a 7 wire (or six wire) plus on it. One of the most common trailer end looks like this

[​IMG]

The Jeep end looks like this...

[​IMG]

This is the STANDARD wiring diagram...

[​IMG]

The other item, your jeep will need is a brake controller.

Here is more info about brake controllers... http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

These come in two types. Time based or inertia based. I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND an inertia (type like the Tekonsha prodigy P2 or P3) The advantage of the time based is that they cost less, BUT they don't work as well. The inertia type adjusts the "braking force" based on how strongly you brake the jeep and how much the camper pushes against the jeep.

Don't be shy to ask more questions or ask for help. We've all been there before and would be glad to offer assistance.

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

mdigby!!!! that is what I was looking for when I was poking around etrailers - I just couldn't find it! I'll show this to Peter - thank you very much [:D]

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

6. mv520

mv520 Member

Just to reiterate what mdigby said, get a proportional/inertia controller, not a time based one.Just A few more dollars, but well worth it for a more "natural" braking experience. You can google proportional vs. time based to see explanations. If you have someone else install it, insist on porportional, don't let them talk you into the slightly cheaper time based one. You'll find pretty much universal support/endorsement among the PUP towing crowd of the Tekonsha Prodigy series.

7. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Odd that a trailer with brakes does not have the 7-pin Bargeman connector? Possible that it was modified by the previous owner? Might be a good idea to have it checked out by an expert.

8. recycled55

recycled55 New Member

Just a thought ---- are those drum brakes surge brakes?
    recycled55

9. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

what are surge brakes? - Peter probably knows, but he's at work right now...

10. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

Surge brakes have a hitch coupler that is connected to a plunger. When you hit the brakes on your vehicle the camper pushes against the hitch thus pushing on that plunger. The plunger pushes brake fluid into the brake cylinders and brakes the camper wheels. This system doesn't need the electric brake controller. If you have them, you should have a little fill cap on your trailer hitch when the brake fluid goes.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I believe the Coleman (Fleetwood) have always used electric brakes.

12. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

My Fleetwood has electric brakes. Which also means there is a breakaway switch that should be connected to the TV when towing, so that if the PUP manages to disconnect itself from the TV while moving this switch uses the battery to apply the brakes.

I'm thinking if one of the original owners modified the plug from a 7-pin to a 4-pin because they didn't care about the brakes that they might also have just removed and tossed the breakaway brake switch.

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=20005&utm_source=BingShopping&utm_medium=PriceEngine&utm_campaign=OneStopFeed&

13. mv520

mv520 Member

My 06 Fleetwood also has factory electric brakes, but did not come from the factory with a breakaway switch. (But then it didn't come with a battery either so maybe thats why they didn't bother to put on the switch). Anyway, easy enough to add (1 big drill hole in the frame & 2 wires to hook up), but just wanted to counter with its possible the breakaway switch never existed.

14. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

thanks all. I asked him tonight if they could be surge brakes - he said 'no, they are electric brakes'. Being that he is an Engineer & has worked on components for rockets, airplanes, helicopters, the space station and the space shuttle ~ I will defer to him...

Let me tell you it's not easy being married to someone who can say "yes, I AM a Rocket Scientist" I cannot compete with that, as the past six years of being a stay at home Mom has drained whatever knowledge I had... I literally asked him how to divide 6 tablespoons of flour in half the other day - my brain is fried [?:~{]

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

he can do it himself......i would have someone who knows brakes check the pup over good though....and you will need that break away switch

16. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Yeah I guess I'm not thinking of a PuP heavy enough to need brakes not having a battery. I guess batteries were an option on some models, I would think they would be standard equipment!