We survived 51 degrees in our pup :)

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by campagain, Sep 10, 2017.

1. campagain

campagain Active Member

I'm sure this is nothing for the pro campers here, but last night we were proud of being comfy through the night while it dropped to 51 outside and 53 inside the pup.

I have a small elec heater but I do not dare leave it on through the night.

We all slept great, and, actually slept in!

neighbormike and JPBar like this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We've been in upper 30 degree weather before. Frost on everything. The PUP was toasty though. We had a small electric heater and the PUP heater running. Glad you had fun.

4. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Out of curiosity, why won't you leave an electric heater on overnight? I'm assuming you are camping where there is power.

Adam

Orchid likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

51 degrees is still short sleeve weather...lol

rich2, Denver, Haybale and 10 others like this.
  6. campagain

campagain Active Member

Yeah they have power, I'm just afraid of something catching on fire. It's a little Pelonis electric heater.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

About the same temps here this weekend... 47 when I got up to make coffee...

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Congrats for your first cold night camp. Just came back from PA myself and also got down to the low 50's but had a Gorgeous sunny day. Although I have been down to the 30's myself, my little side kick got her first taste of cold weather camping this weekend. I found she actually slept better in the cold although I did cheat and have a furnace keep the temp to 55 in the camper until I failed to realize my propane was low and didn't have enough to get through the last night of my trip. Used a ceramic heater with an anti tip feature to get me through.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Electric heaters are very safe. Just make sure it won't get knocked off, and that nothing is placed too close to it or could fall over it. No reason not to run them overnight.

Orchid likes this.
  10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have a couple of these low profile 120VAC OIL FILLED ELECTRIC HEATERS (Amazon). These have no visible flame or hot core to worry about. IMO this is probably one of the safest electric heaters you can use in the POPUP trailer around kids, pets, or drapes. When we can we usually plug these into an extension cord plugged into the Camp Ground pedestal 20AMP service. I carry 10 GAUGE HD contractor extension cords.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We also have a couple of those 10-inch O-2 COOL fans that runs on 120VAC-12VDC- or D-CELLS Batteries. This is perfect to sit behind the portable low profile oil filled heater above to move some heater air around the POPUP trailer.

I have the propane Furnace heater that comes with the POPUP trailer but it is way to hot to use (runs us out of the trailer) and the furnace blower is very very loud also. The furnace fan is also using 4-6 AMPS DC Current drain on the trailer battery. The rule of thumb here is one nights use of the propane furnace - one battery...

We also have a couple of sleeping bags and zip two of those together and use as a HD bed cover.

I also put four of those 2x2x30-inch Foam sections around the edge of the tent bed ends and floor of the trailer to stop a whole lot of cold air getting into the trailer when closed up. I got this from LOWES in the Window Home Air Conditioner section
    [​IMG]
    I also had a very poor designed weather strip below the tent bed floor that meets up against the trailer metal wall when the tent beds are pulled out. I could look under when the tent beds are out and see daylight big time. Even let mosquitoes get inside the trailer... Replace the poor designed one with a couple of these also from Lowes.. I had to cut the top in a couple of places to allow for some metal angles. I glued the bottom part slot directly to the top of the trailer wall under the tent bed ends. This helped big time in my trailer. Sealed up really good..

[​IMG]
    Google Image

If you look inside your floor mounted cabinets you will probably fine holes going to the bottom side of the trailer for wiring. I filled all of those up with RTV sealant.
    Sleeping over-night in a cool trailer sure makes the morning first cup of fresh ground and brewed bean coffee taste soooo good.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

prop630 likes this.
  11. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

I did 12 in my pup and 9 in the HTT

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, Son and I were out fishing for the weekend. There was no room in the cabin for us, so we slept on cots out in the screened in porch. Same temps as you, 10C = 50F. No windows, no heater, only screens, and raccoons scratching on the door every night.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Congrtats!

Last weekend in snowed on us in the PUP. We were boondocking so had no power. We ran the furnace and were quite comfortable at about 60 in the PUP all night and about 28 outside and windy as heck! Glad we had the PUP.

I've run ceramic heaters in the PUP all night long many, many a night up here in the Last Frontier.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use the ceramic heater, small and put out a lot of heat, we had 2 in one PUP and ended with only 1 plugged it as both of them made it to hot. I always get the ones that shut off if turned over. We also closed one end of the PUP bed off with the curtains, this helped to keep it warm on our end. (no kids tho and only us two and the 3 Chihuahuas )

15. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nice. It was 55 in ours the past two mornings. Funny thing is we had the furnace set to 55 but it never needed to run at night.

We discussed if the high is under 50 for the weekend we might not camp. Kids and wife would be too cold during the day. Long range shows us good until at least November.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

woke up to mid 20's with snow on the roof at SMNP with the furnace set for high 60's

17. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

not uncommon for single digits during ice fishing season, use a small electric heater so the furnace doesn't run so much

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Sometimes, those are the high temps when we'd go camping [:D] Space heaters are simple and cheap. We have one that has a fan only setting & the auto-off if you tip it over. If you're up in MN this is a required item [HY] Heck, 51 degrees and I might take the top off the jeep in March [o!!!o]

Jim49525 likes this.
  19. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I have a pair of space heaters, one for each bunk. They plug into the higher amp outlet that the air conditioner uses. They have the auto-tip shut off and a thermostat selector on them. I let them run overnight without issue. Obviously requires hookups.

I was out just this last weekend boondocking. Low of 51 each night. I tested the LP furnace to make sure it'd fire, which it did, then set it to about 56... never heard it kick on either night. I was almost disappointed, really wanted to see how much battery power the fan was going to draw each night. Maybe next weekend, I'm going back to that same spot :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  20. Az Brittany Guy

Az Brittany Guy New Member

I camp in southern Arizona and central New Mexico in January. It's not unusual to be in the teens in the morning. My onboard furnace set at 65° does the trick for me. When my wife comes we augment with an electric blanket with 32° sleeping bags. I love sleeping in cold weather. Woke up with 10" snow on the ground a few years ago at a dog trial. Thought I was at the Iditarod!