We survived 51 degrees in our pup :)

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by campagain, Sep 10, 2017.

1. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

It was 72 yesterday and my wife put on a long sleeved shirt and said she was chilly. And here I was in shorts and a t-shirt, sweating since I was so warm. And we're in Michigan, so we see both hot and cold pretty frequently. It just goes to show some people are more tolerant of weather shifts than others.

2. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Congrats - we've camped in low 20's with snow on the pup:) We've used a small electric heater at times and at other times we had to bring out the Big Buddy, nice and toasty in the pup.

3. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

We bring some very warm comforters and have 3" of memory foam on the bed. Ours also came with reflectix type insulating blankets on top of the bunk end wood under the mattress. Keeps us toasty. Last weekend the temps got down to 50 or a little below in Frontenac, and we only turned on the furnace for about 10 minutes each morning to take the chill out of the air in the pup. Nothing worse than crawling out of a nice warm bed into cold air. :)

4. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Who had to crawl out into that cold air to turn on the furnace? I hope you could reach the thermostat from the bunks.

Aneemal33 likes this.
  5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have done mid 40s with out any problems. Just used my small electric heater with an electric mattress pad (on low) and never had to turn on my furnace.

6. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Yep. The thermostat is right under the sink counter right by the bunk end. :))

7. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Update: We plan to go camping here in MN one last weekend over the 28-29th at William O'Brien SP on the St Croix River. Temps this far out are forecast to be 47 & 46 for a high and 32 & 35 for a low. I am bringing our ceramic "stick" heater that has tip over safeties and a thermostat built in to help even out the temp inside and keep us from having to run the furnace too much. We have electric and vault toilets, but the showers are shut down for the winter by then. Sponge bath in the pup of we start to stink I guess. :p I think we will be fine. I will be keeping a small flap corner open to keep condensation down. Thanks to whomever I picked that tip up from.

J Starsky likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We camped last weekend and I was surprised how many people still used the showers... unheated building and temps in the 40s. No thank you, getting out of a hot shower into 40 degree air is not something I'm going to willingly do lol.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I'm next door in Wisconsin.... planning on the 26th-30th... not sure if the shower house will be open or not (this time of year is always a crapshoot) but camp w/ out electricity... hoping for mild temperatures and NO rain!

Aneemal33 likes this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

We booked with electricity for this weekend for fear of cold temps and wouldn't you know it it's going to be warm. Saturday might be cool but nothing the battery and furnace couldn't handle. Your right though next weekend could be chilly. With the space heater and furnace you will be fine as long as you topped off your propane.

Aneemal33 likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It's not bad. I have tent camped when it was about 30. Right before bed, we would run to the bathhouse, take a hot shower, then run back and climb in a sleeping bag. I always slept great.

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We backpack and camp in the backcountry. Last Nov it got down in the 20’s one night. Down mummy sleeping bags are pretty amazing. :)

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

you can invest in Gizmo reflectix for interior. I had gizmo wrapped around inside the popup and only wore shorts when sleeping during upper 20's at top of mountain. everything froze including my water filter outside. II had a small ceramic heater which was enough.

the Gizmo can be year round use: winter and summer. keeps your popup warm in winter and cool in summer.

14. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Planning on having a full tank. :)

15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

50's at night is my desired camping weather and 70's during the day.

I don't kick on the Mr Heater (Buddy size, propane) unless it is under 40*F, even at 45*F on low it is to hot in the pup. Even my leaky 1973 Montgomery Ward!! lol

Our coldest was at the Grand Canyon in the upper teens. The worst part was my fingers were chapped and cracking/bleeding.... Some rubber gloves and Vaseline at night I was good to go. I am from MN so my blood runs a bit cold... lol

16. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Update. Sadly the weather this weekend in MN is supposed to suck. Surprise! So we canceled the site and will winterize and pack it away for a long winter's nap.

17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

How bad is it supposed to get?? I'm still planning on going at this point - forecast says lows in the twenties, highs in upper forties, chance of "wintry mix"... will wait and see what happens....

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Bummer! We have not yet cancelled a trip due to weather, but I haven't seen this weekend's forecast yet, and we haven't camped quite this late. Ours is winterized and in storage as of last week now too.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

what? We at South California are experiencing heat wave. in 100's with Santa Anna winds!

Haybale likes this.
  20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

98 here at the beach....