We want to see the leaves change in Early October

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by BelchFire, Aug 8, 2012.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mrs. Boss has some time off in early October and we want to try to see the leaves change; we'd like to stay in Georgia if we can. We've been to Tallulah Gorge on a day trip and would consider going back there. I've read your positive reviews of Unicoi and Amicalola Falls SPs and would consider either of them as well. Cloudland Canyon seems like it might be a good option, but that's getting pretty far for us to travel from Southeast Georgia. I think there should be something closer. Which of those three (or your write-in candidate) would be considered mountainous enough to have leaves changing in early October? Other considerations? What are the night-time temps in these areas in October.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

up the interstate you can go I 85 and hit Ft Yargo, Watson Mill Bridge, Victoria Bryant, or Tugaloo SP and be about as close as unicoi or amicalola falls. my order would be Watson Mill Bridge, Victoria Bryant, Tugaloo, and Ft Yargo. We went to Watson Mill Bridge a few weeks back, and definitely are going to go back. Also around the Helen area (not far from Unicoi) you have Vogel, and Moccasin Creek, two more really nice state parks

another one that would be closer for you, but has a lot of area, hiking trails and lots of hardwoods for leave color, is Chattahoochee Bend. the trails they have there along the river are awesome

3. BelchFire

Whew! I was about to think no one loved me any more.

In addition to the "what park would your recommend", I was trying to sneak question in between the lines:

Will the leaves be changing in early October?

It seems a mite early to me, but I'm asking, not telling.

4. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

The leaves don't even reach their peak until mid-October in Pennsylvania. I think you're probably about a month early or 400 miles too far south !!

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I do an annual Pillage Trip over Columbus Day W/E up to Gore, Va near the WV line, the leaves are all changing, its awesome [8D]

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Vermont's leaves will be changing right around that time [:D]

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

yeah I was so focused on the SP I totally missed the leaves changing part of that, [:D]. I have seen a good start to it in Oct, but as dry as it's been for most of the summer, they might just dry up and fall off without giving us a lot of color. It's happened that way before. You'd have better chances I would think to get farther up in the NE corner. Moccasin Creek or Black Rock Mountain

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Cove CG, Gore, Va
    [​IMG]
    I'm from Florida, it's cold to me [8D]

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Great seeing the leaves change color! Nice to see them change as you drive up the coast!

10. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

We have great color in the Maine mountains in early October! Of course, the daytime temps are usually about 55 or 60 on a warm day....LOL!

11. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Belch, I have seen the colors change from the second week in October to the last week. No matter where you go on the weekends, be prepared for lots of road traffic and leaf watchers. Try to make you some reservations because they get busy with campers during that time! Vogel is a good central location in the mountains in Ga. Where you can go east or west to circle back to the campground.

12. dksimon

dksimon UNITED WE STAND

fmbhappycamper,
    I know what you are going through living in Fl, the leaves change from green to brown nothing in between !
    My wife and I moved with our parents from upstate New York to Cape Canaveral FL during the 60's and we stayed until I retired , then we moved to TN It is great to see leaves change color in the fall again!
    Seeing your picture, it took a long time for me to not watch the ground where I was walking in case of snakes or gators!! Still have to watch for snakes here in TN but they are not as big here! And I have not seen one gator here yet!

13. Tolleykatz

Tolleykatz New Member

We are headed up north of Helen this weekend...I'm hoping this cold snap we've had will give us a burst of color!!

14. BelchFire

I'm envious, Tolleykatz. This past weekend was our only chance for a while and we were "otherwise occupied". I guess it'll be next year. Good luck and post up some pics so we can all enjoy!

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

It depends on your elevation. They were already looking great a couple of weeks ago above 5,500' on south facing slopes in the North Carolina mountains.

They next couple of weeks should be great in the Great Smoky Mountains, and mid to late October on the Cumberland Plateau and mountains further south.

Here in the Central Basin of Tennessee only sourwoods and sumac have started to turn.