We went to the Dark Side too

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by ADKAurora, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ADKAurora

ADKAurora New Member

Well, it's been a crazy past week. We only bought our PUP last year, and put a lot of work into it to make it ours. Unfortunately our real pup [DOG] (our Catahoula Leopard Dog) is epileptic, and we couldn't keep the PUP at a comfortable enough temperature (we had multiple fans running and everything open) for her during the holiday weekend. She ended up with symptoms of heat stroke and it triggered multiple grand mal seizures while we were in the PUP. Edited to add: The fireworks and thunderstorms also didn't help matters with little to no noise isolation and flashing lights. We put her in my aunt and uncle's air conditioned TT and she went back to her normal self within a few hours and the seizures stopped.

If that wasn't reason enough to go to the dark side, while trying to keep the PUP cool we left everything unzipped, and couldn't get back to it in time when a thunderstorm hit out of nowhere and soaked our mattresses. We packed up and came home early since we had nowhere to sleep without sleeping in a puddle.

The day after we came home (when we had planned to be camping), we went and looked at TT's. We put a deposit down and secured financing that day for one we fell in love with, and we pick it up on this Saturday. We bought a brand new Jayco Jay Flight 235 RKS. It's a pretty large couple's coach, but well within our truck's tow capacity (GVWR is less than 80% of max tow capacity) and perfect for the 2 of us and the dog. I'm not quite sure how I feel about giving up so much sleeping space, but we rarely had guests anyways and they can sleep in the recliners or we will pitch a tent next to the TT.

As for our PUP, we are keeping it in the family and giving it to my cousin's family, who currently only have a small tent for two adults and their 5 year old. They camp with us too, so we will still get to see our PUP and possibly help continue fixing it and remodeling it [:D].

Cheers to the Dark Side! [CB] [HYC]

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You won't be sorry, a lot less work

ADKAurora likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Darkside. .

ADKAurora likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Darkside. Nice that the pup will stay in the family, and you can help pass on what you've learned on it.

ADKAurora likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics of the new rig!!

ADKAurora likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the new unit. You will love it and I know the Fur Baby will love the more stable atmosphere. Being ex Puppers you will soon be doing things to "make it your own" as well as having new adventures and making lots of memories. Good Luck and happy camping

ADKAurora likes this.
  7. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just add an air conditioner?

Congratulations on the new camper, that Jay Flight SLX 8 235RKS, is a very unique floorplan. Looks like a nice camper for a couple.

I came from a 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. I also had a 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH before that one but we had my daughter which we needed another bed, and it got hail damaged pretty bad which surprisingly didn't total it out. So both made it a good time to upsize to the 26BH.

I will warn you, Jayco's aluminum siding SUCKs. The 19BH siding had to be completely replaced under warranty because the paint was just flaking off. THe 26BH's siding was corroding everywhere badly and it was not from water damage. My coworker friend had a 2009 Jay Flight that also had siding that corroded badly. I'm telling you this so you can keep a close eye on it and hopefully get it fixed, if it even happens, under the warranty so it's not on your own dime.

I got sick of all the work involved in using the 26BH and the expensive preventative maintenance so I went to a new camper. For us going back to a large fully featured pop up was what we needed to enjoy camping more.

Being that we are now in the 2020 models of campers, the siding issue may be a thing of the past.

Enjoy the new camper, looks like a keeper!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I like the privacy curtain across the whole end of the camper for getting dressed or even using the toilet/shower in the 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G.

9. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Thanks, that was something I really liked as well and was a must have. My old 2007 Starcraft 2406 pop up had one that I really liked too.

10. ADKAurora

ADKAurora New Member

We thought about installing an A/C, but we also wanted noise/light isolation that a pop up just can't provide compared to a hard side. And it is a unique floorplan that will allow me to bake all sorts of goodies that I couldn't do in the PUP (no oven and no counter space). Thanks for the warning about the siding; I will definitely keep an eye on that! I do hope you are right that it is something they have fixed, but I will definitely look out for that. What preventative maintenance was expensive? Also congrats on your new (or new to you) fully featured PUP.

11. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Thanks, still ironing out the changes I need to make going from a 29' bunkhouse to a Pop Up.

I always maintained my caulking and the bigger trailer you get, the more caulking to maintain.

Every year I had plenty of caulking opening up, that needed to be redone. I always had the sealtech leak test done also. I knew a lot of people who had water damage and didn't know how so I got the sealtech leak test done every year at $125 to find all leaks before any became an issue.

Usually on the 26BH, seals could be anywhere from $600 to $1000 per year with the sealtech test included. Then I had the bathroom skylight leaking. It took them 2 times to fix that and it wasn't cheap. Then of course the aluminum siding. With weather and time always questionable for me, it was best to have the dealer fix it. The last time I did it myself as I found the time and the weather stayed nice enough.

So in the last few years of ownership, I was putting about $1500/year in maintenance then another $750/year in plates and insurance. I usually only took the camper out for 3 or 4 smaller trips each year. My kids have so many activities going on now, they just don't have time to camp so it's usually me. Sometimes I'll camp close and the wife will bring the kids for a day or so between activities.

So the cost involved in the 26BH wasn't in my favor so I went to the Pop Up as my previous Pop Ups were much MUCH cheaper to own.

12. ADKAurora

ADKAurora New Member

@Mike Up wow I don't blame you! I have to ask why plates and insurance were so high though? Our registration fee is only $75 and our insurance is $200/yr. $750 seems outrageous, and I live in a high cost of living state that likes to tax us out the wazoo.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

I have replacement cost insurance on the campers. State Farm says replacement but it's not, it's only what it's worth to them at the point, so it won't get you a new camper. Progressive has 'true' replacement meaning up to 5 years after bought new, they'll replace it for the price a new camper will cost. For the 26BH is was about $550/year. The indiana plates with excise tax and registration was about $250/year.

My pop up replace insurance is about $200/year and the plates are about $30/year. Big difference right there. AND that is on a brand new 2020 model year pop up. The prices for the 26BH were for a 2012 year!

I also live in the Chicago Metro area, just across the border in Northwest Indiana but our cost of living is very high.

14. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Mike, like ADK said, something seems off even for Chicagoland. Our (WI) registration renewal is like $15 or $20 per year and my insurance through Progressive is under $130 for the year with replacement value of $10k. Proportional to my premium, that would mean your TT is worth $42k to replace, but the MSRP (which no one pays) is only $29k. It might be worth asking your provider about your premium, coverage amounts and the frequency of use they assume.

15. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

It is what it is. I have had progressive on many campers and had many agents go through the numbers, it is correct and my replacement cost was over 20K for my TT.

Your plates are DIRT cheap plus do you even need plates for a pop up under 3000 lbs. If I remember right, you don't need plates. A trailer like a pop up is $30/year, a travel trailer is considered a RV that is self contained and goes way up. I've been getting plates for over a decade on 2 travel trailers, BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Not a Department of Motor Vehicles ;) ) is correct on their charging. Don't forget registration includes plates and excise tax. The tax is the major hit.

16. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Good points. Yes, for us here in WI, registering trailers is optional. I know of several people pulled over by troopers in other states who didn’t believe Wisconsinites didn’t need tags on our RVs, boats and utility trailers. But if we, as original owners, don’t register our trailer, there were ramifications to selling it later. As in, we can’t register it after original purchase, it can’t be sold out of state and it can’t be registered by future owners, etc. which all affect resale value. So we chose to. It seemed hardly fair for my PUP to have the same RV plates as the guy beside us with the 30’ fifth wheel.

17. starcraft

starcraft Member

Nice trailer. The only downside might be storage if you don't have the space, fuel economy towing it, and getting into gas stations for gas or any other places.