Week long trip in northern half of Florida around a spring?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BelchFire, May 25, 2014.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We're thinking about Ginnie Springs but wonder if there's a week's worth of stuff to do without paying through the nose. We'd like to take our own kayaks, have somewhere to swim and somewhere to snorkel. What say you? Ginnie Springs? Somewhere else? We're looking at late June or early July (but not the 4th).

Throw those suggestions out there.

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

The are a bunch of springs from the Orlando area and up.
    You could head to either coast for some good paddling too.

3. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

NOT GINNIE SPRINGS!!!!

Okay if you like LOUD MUSIC, TONS of COLLEGE STUDENTS (University of FL), DRUGS, ALCOHOL and the PARTY crowd by all means go there.

There are so many other State Parks around the area for $20+/- around the area or KOA's that are wonderful why would you go to Ginnie Springs...a commercial site that does allow scuba diving but is a party place for the kids from UF.

Here's the link for the FL State Parks... www.floridastateparks.org

You make the call.

Doc

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That's why I asked! :) We like the idea of having a clear swimming hole right at the campground and a drift river for a tube trip. What state parks would you recommend with similar amenities?

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We LOVE Manatee Springs but there's also so many others that's why I gave the link...www.floridastateparks.org

Blue Spring in Orange City (between Orlando and Daytona) is beautiful but tough to get a reservation. We've stayed at O'Leno and loved it but the closest spring is Itchatucknee about 5 min away. Anastasia SP is right on the coast and beautiful there in St. Augustine and Ft. Clinch up here above Jax is a great place with history to boot.

Down south further there are several more like Hillsborough River SP is a wonderful spot some of our Tampa members tell me though we haven't actually been there.

Wekiwa SP is on our planning list as I've heard many good things about it as are the spots in the Keys

The bottom line is try a few of them and if you like them stay there and check out others in the area...we tend to do that. Also read the reviews on the FL Parks on this site. I hope I helped.

Doc

6. Bmoore257

Bmoore257 New Member

Manatee Springs is awesome!
    You might also like Rainbow River in Dunnellon

Both are state parks!

7. geologist1

geologist1 New Member

Manatee Springs is good for swimming, kayaking is nothing special

try Rainbow Springs (can launch from the park and kayak upstream to the main swimming area)

Wekiwa Springs is nice, but you will need to drive from camp site to the swimming area (about a 1.5 mile trek). for kayaking, definitely try the Rock Springs run from Kelly Park to Wekiva Island (there is a local outfitter that offers a shuttle service).

Weeki Wachee river is great for kayaking, just go early in day and non-weekend. We camped at Chassohowitzka River which was nice and they offer a kayak launch as well. There are 2 springs within an hour of their launch area.

Ichetucknee Springs is a nice kayak trip, available only during off-season for tubing runs