Weekend at Kettle Moraine

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by unclebuck13, Sep 25, 2011.

1. unclebuck13

unclebuck13 New Member

We spent the weekend at Kettle Moraine State Forest in Ottawa Lake campground in Wisconsin. Our children's school does a camping trip every fall and it is a great trip by all. This year the trip was not announced until the week before so most sites were already booked and very few families attended. However, I have volunteered to organize this event in the future so we will change all that.

This was the second trip we have taken in our NTU pup and we learned some more things along the way.

1. It takes longer than 3 hours to pack everything into the pup and the TV
    2. Kids do not mind standing outside school waiting to get picked up to go camping.
    3. My wife packs too much stuff.
    4. I pack too much stuff.
    5. A fully loaded pup pulls like a rock.
    6. Rain can be fun.
    7. Rain can suck.
    8. Children can be very photogenic.
    9. Having children pose for a photo on a ground nest of bees is not fun.
    10. Kids do not listen, especially when they are being stung over and over.
    11. Getting stung in the hand several times while removing bees from other kids hurts.
    12. Finding out your more allergic than you thought while 3 miles from the truck is not a good thing to find out.
    13. Emergency rooms away from home can be a little entertaining (COUNTRY FOLK ROCK)
    14. Packing the pup up in the rain is quite interesting.
    15. The second you latch the last latch and put the camper on the tv, the sun will shine!

It was an interesting trip! We still had a blast, and the swelling in my hand should eventually go down! I can see 3 of my 4 knuckles now, and I am thankful I did not get stung in the face or neck.

2. jamona2311

jamona2311 New Member

Oh My goodness!!!! LOL Im sorry Im laughing but Im sure that will be what you all will be doing as you tell this story in the future.

That aside, how was kettle morraine?? That has always been my dads favoirte place and I was wonder if the leaves have chaged over yet??? They havent much here in SW Wi. Hopeing for more color when I camp in door county next weekend.

3. unclebuck13

unclebuck13 New Member

We love Kettle Moraine and all the campgrounds are great in their own ways! Love the nice hot showers and flush toilets! The weekend was great even with the hickups but could have done without the bees.

The colors are just starting, the locusts are yellowing and the sumac is turning red. Here is a link for the fall color report which is usually pretty accurate.

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/fallcolor_report.aspx#/Report

4. melbo

melbo New Member

Memories that will last a lifetime! [;)] Glad everyone made it through the bee encounter without any permanent damage!

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

unclebuck,

As I found out a few yrs. ago, you may not have had an allergic reaction but a toxic one. You just got stung too many times. I also had an ER trip. BP went down to 60/40.

6. DavidR

DavidR Member

Glad you're okay and that you had fun despite the bees and rain!! :)

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Bees get a bad rep! [:(O] Only bumblebees make nests in the ground. Your encounter was most likely wasps (yellow jackets) [2C] [​IMG]

8. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Oh man what a trip. You will find that packing gets easier as you aquire camping stuff. I have many clear plastic totes that each have their own spot in the camper if I take them out they go back in as soon as possible. Then it's basically a trip to walmart for food and beer(wink), pack clothes and done.