Weight distribution hitch: yes or no?

ButchAZ

May 6, 2022
From memory I believe it's 6500 lbs tow capacity. The Aliner is probably clocking in at around 1800 fully loaded.

The truck doesn't squat in the back like that without the camper attached, hence my question. Fully loaded it's me (150 lbs) and two dogs (80 lbs total). The shell probably weighs ~200 lbs.

ButchAZ

May 6, 2022
People on the Colorado form lost their minds when I posted this pic. So it's either fine or it's not. And I either need air suspension or I don't. Or I need a WDH or I don't.

So I'm back to square one.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I dont think you need air bags eaither. Everythibg will squat a bit if you add weight on it. Unless you are loosing steering, have excessive controll issues , or when you hit a small bump the springs hit the stop resultibg in a large metal thump, no need to fix what isnt broken.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
People on the Colorado form lost their minds when I posted this pic. So it's either fine or it's not. And I either need air suspension or I don't. Or I need a WDH or I don't.

So I'm back to square one.
They probably dont tow anything , lol.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
There's so much that goes into it. If your springs on the colorado are progressively stiffer (which most pickups are), then you should be ok. You have a short rear overhang and a relatively long wheel base in comparison. the question is always how much weight did your front wheels loose?

The second thing is how stiff the rear is. if you have soft springs, then it will be a problem, which may need either stiffer springs, air bags, or a WD hitch. I had a truck which was lifted, and it would feel like a pogo stick bouncing around.. real white nuckle towing experience. Once I got the WD, it was smooth sailing. The same trailer on my ext cab long bed 3/4 ton truck did not need WD.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@ButchAZ… Welcome to the Aliner Family and our forum from Awhatukee.

We originally towed our 2013 Aliner Classic (heavier because of appliances and off road axle) with a 2004 Colorado crew cab (5cyl. - 4000 tow limit). No WDH or airbags. Yes you can feel the weight of the Aliner in back when towing. There was some sway especially when it was windy. We couldn’t see the behind the Classic because ours was an Off-road model that was lifted with bigger wheels (14” rims). We towed ours for almost a year before going to a Titan. The kid needed a vehicle for college and we wanted a bigger truck for going up to the rim to camp that was taller. We mainly go boondocking to camp along the Mogollon Rim. We didn’t notice any sway when towing with the Titan because it was taller, wider and heavier than the Colorado. Plus a lot more towing capacity.

I would tow without the WDH for a bit longer. Gain some experience towing with your set up. And if you still don’t feel comfortable without a WDH, then add it.

Or just add it if makes you feel better/safer, with a WDH. It would help with swaying on the Highway. Just make sure to take off the WDH bars before driving on uneven roads. You don’t want to bend the Aframe on the Aliner.

It’s always scary in the beginning but it gets better after sometime. We went through that again after going to the Darkside and towing a bigger, longer and heavier travel trailer.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Last edited:

Yacoma99

Mar 25, 2019
Since I started this post over 3 years ago, I have moved up to a Aliner Family Expedition and my TV is now a Jeep Gladiator. I have traveled a few thousand miles with this combo without a WDH or any mods to the Jeep.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
Since I started this post over 3 years ago, I have moved up to a Aliner Family Expedition and my TV is now a Jeep Gladiator. I have traveled a few thousand miles with this combo without a WDH or any mods to the Jeep.
How do you like the Gladiator ? Thinking of trading my JK in for one .

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
The dealer I bought my N2U Ranger 12 from recommended a weight distribution hitch. The Ranger 12 is pretty light and my truck is rated to tow up to 6400lbs. What are y’all’s thoughts?
Thanks
Towed an Aliner Classic all over the country with a 2019 Tacoma. You would even know it back there except looking in the rear view mirror.

No squat issue and the Classic is a few hundred pounds heavier with hard dormers. We have never had the slightest inkling of sway with no extra equipment added.

Just adhere to basic load rule and have 10-15% of weight on the tongue.

Sounds like this dealer is trying to milk you!

jerbear

Jun 11, 2015
Indiana
The dealer I bought my N2U Ranger 12 from recommended a weight distribution hitch. The Ranger 12 is pretty light and my truck is rated to tow up to 6400lbs. What are y’all’s thoughts?
Thanks
how much does the N2U weigh? You have the same weight rating I do and my popup weighs little over 1400 LBS. I don't use a weight dist. hitch. Maybe if yours weighs 4 or 5 thousand LBS or more yes than you would probably need one.
Thanks

jerbear

Jun 11, 2015
Indiana
how much does the N2U weigh? You have the same weight rating I do and my popup weighs little over 1400 LBS. I don't use a weight dist. hitch. Maybe if yours weighs 4 or 5 thousand LBS or more yes than you would probably need one.
I forgot to mention hitch weight (trailer ball on tow vehicle} which is also important. Good wishes .

NickH

Jul 8, 2020
Ontario Canada
I towed our Aliner Expedition with and Acura MDX for 2 years with no real issues. A fellow Aliner camper suggested I try an Anderson weight distribution hitch (which has sway control). I found a used one and gave it a try. It made a huge improvement to the way the Acura handles and now I don't even notice that we are pulling a camper, windy rutted roads are easy to drive and there is no sway at all. Tow vehicle and camper are level no matter what additional load is added.

etrailerdave

Jun 7, 2022
Wentzville MO
This is a 2014 Aliner Ranger 12 on my 2018 Chevy Colorado. The camper is loaded normally (not much weight inside at all), and the only thing in the bed of the truck is some plastic storage bins that together probably weigh 50 lbs max. On the tongue I have two 20# LP bottles (factory standard) a normal size battery, and a spare. I haven't gotten an exact tongue weight, but I think it's probably on the order of 175-200 lbs. I posted this pic on a Colorado discussion board, and exactly 50% of people said "AIR SUSPENSION, ABSOLUTELY!!!" and the other 50% said "WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH, ABSOLUTELY!!!".

So where do I put my money?

View attachment 83514
In order to make sure your trailer is properly loaded, you need to know your trailer tongue weight. Tongue weight is the weight that the fully loaded trailer exerts downward on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle. Typically, your tongue weight should be 10-15% of your total trailer weight. Don't guess on this, you need to know exact.

Just looking at the picture I can tell you are sagging in the rear, how much I don't know, this can cause stability and braking problems. You need to get that nose down, how you do it is up to you. Weight distribution spreads some of the weight from the rear axle to the front. An air bag system spreads the weight across the rear axle. Based off what I see and going off the weight of the trailer and the truck air bags will probably be the route to go, unless you are having sway issues or tongue weight is to high.

The more info you can give the more precise I can be though.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
When you put weight on the back of your tow vehicle, it can take weight off of the front of your vehicle. Depending on how much weight you put on and how heavy or light your tow vehicle is, you may feel that you have less control of the steering. ..... Ideally, you distribute that weight evenly across both axles.
That was in 2019, and as posted directly above in 2022 it is still the reason for a WDH.
Not for any aesthetic appearance of being level, or avoiding 'sagging', but for the purpose of preventing the tongue weight from levering the front tow vehicle upward.
I don't car if the back tires carry more weight when I tow. I DO care that I unload the front tires leaving them with less grip for all the steering and most of the braking.

A WDH will distribute some of that weight added back behind the bumper forward.
Now, I'll admit that 160 lb. added 4 feet back of the rear axle is only 80 lb. of apparent 'lift' 8 feet ahead of the rear axle. I'll also concede that taking 80 lb. off the front end isn't a large percentage of the non-trailering front end load.
A WDH can effectively relocate that apparent 160 lb. load to some point forward of the tow ball. It doesn't have to be 'evenly' distributed (80 added to the front, 80 to the rear). In my preference I set the WDH for no front lift.

My Coleman Colorado with 80 lb tongue? I don't care.
Our Casita with hundreds of lb. tongue? On the short wheelbase Audi Q5? WDH definitely!