Weight distribution hitch

Odie2013

Jun 15, 2017
Can I put a weight distribution hitch on a starcraft 2107, it has a c channel chassi. I am towing with a kia sportage, and its tipped up a little.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Short answer .. NO.

"C" channel frames cannot support the loads a WDH would place on them.. I would also suspect a Sportage would be similar..

SpaceGuy85

May 1, 2019
League City Texas
Short answer .. NO.

"C" channel frames cannot support the loads a WDH would place on them.. I would also suspect a Sportage would be similar..
Actually, not true. They do make the brackets for the C channels, or, you can just have them welded to the PUP frame. The equalizer bars run from the brackets on the trailer to the equalizer hitch. So it does not matter how the car is configured, well, except for a correct Class III or IV hitch. But, not sure about the max payload for the Kia Sportage.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
"C" channel tongues and frames will bend and could snap right off.. Friends had it happen to their "C" channel framed pup.. So yes it is true, also if you read many pup manuals for those with open "C" frames, the manuals state that it is not recommended to use a WDH as damage can occur.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Can I put a weight distribution hitch on a starcraft 2107, it has a c channel chassi. I am towing with a kia sportage, and its tipped up a little.

A picture would help understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe a suspension upgrade on the Kia would be in order.

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
Actually, not true. They do make the brackets for the C channels, or, you can just have them welded to the PUP frame.

Actually - true. ;) Has nothing to do with being able to mount the WD frame brackets but the fact that the trailer's C channel frame can easily bend from the forces imposed by WD. Obviously the OP can choose to believe what he wants but I sure wouldn't use WD with any C channel frame trailer.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
As someone with a little experience using a WD on my TT there is no way I would use one on a C channel frame.

durhamcamper

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2010
Pickering, Ontario
Actually, not true. They do make the brackets for the C channels, or, you can just have them welded to the PUP frame. The equalizer bars run from the brackets on the trailer to the equalizer hitch. So it does not matter how the car is configured, well, except for a correct Class III or IV hitch. But, not sure about the max payload for the Kia Sportage.
So you are comfortable about your absolute knowledge that no damage could or will occur to the c channel frame of this poster's pup from the force exerted using weight distribution? Wow. Great advice! Snow and I have both seen a c channel frame absolutely bent skyward by doing exactly what you deem to be appropriate. Yikes!

bobinfleet

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hampshire UK
I have no idea what a WDH is, but last year the A frame ( C channel ) of my 1994 viking broke in two. After I got it all welded up I looked into why it had snapped and found the tongue weight was 30 kilos over the permitted load stated in the owners manual. I presume it was over weight due to the change in hitch and jockey wheel and the addition of welded plates for them the importer had done. I had allways been careful not to exceed the tongue weight on my car but never thought about the pup frame.

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
The 97 Starcraft manual says not to use a WDH.

So too would I suspect the OP's Kia Sportage owner's manual also warn against using WD on any unibody vehicle. I've owned / used several WD systems and would only ever use one with a BOF (body on frame) vehicle such as a 1/2 ton truck.

bheff

Super Active Member
Feb 24, 2011
NW Arkansas
If you just have excessive sag in the rear (tow vehicle....body parts are a different topic) then maybe consider airbags. This is assuming that your weights are all within limits and you dont have any problem steering.

durhamcamper

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2010
Pickering, Ontario
If you just have excessive sag in the rear (tow vehicle....body parts are a different topic) then maybe consider airbags. This is assuming that your weights are all within limits and you dont have any problem steering.
Also, hoping he has working electric brakes on the trailer otherwise definitely overweight