weight limit on beds

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by jmil44, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jmil44

jmil44 New Member

How much weight will one of the beds hold in a pop up?

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

The general guideline is 'plenty'. I don't think I have seen one not rated for 800 pounds.....most are more. Many years ago, one manufacturer had a photo of one of their PUP's ON the bunkend of another to promote how well it was built.

athread678 likes this.
  3. S-Dog

S-Dog New Member

I have a '69 Cox Campsquire... and I wouldn't put more than 400 on a bunk end.... might hold more though....

4. travler

travler New Member

There are stickers at each of the bunks on my 07 coachmen clipper 086 that read; 1200lbs max. on front bunk and 1000lbs max. on rear bunk however I don't think I would even come close to testing that. You should contact the manufacturer of your make and model or a dealer. [2C]

5. jmil44

jmil44 New Member

Thank you all for your help...this is my first pop up and just trying to figure it all out.

6. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

x2 Except insert 2003 viking 1906st

7. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

Mine is supposedly 1100 lbs on the rear bunk. My two ~45lb kids must be much heavier than they feel. Despite the "no jumping or bouncing" rule, they still forget themselves sometimes, although they're getting better about it. I noticed that the two rear supports were starting to bend slightly from the abuse of the two of them. Fortunately it wasn't bad and I was able to tweak them back to being straight.

The main reason I bring this up is that there's a HUGE difference between a static load and a dynamic load like two kids bouncing on the bunk.

8. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

I would also leans towards the thought process that although in 1982 a camper may have been able to withstand a 1000lb load (for example only) it may not have the same structural integrity (as we all know a lot of them don't) to still withstand that load capacity. Let's not forget that it is not only the polls, but the end walls in many cases that are also supporting the weight. Just my [2C]

9. fbd83

fbd83 New Member

well i have a 95 coleman stoney creek and i recently had an accident [:(!] where my bed fell out of my camper because of too much weight, i had about 800 lbs on the bed. the supprt poles didn't fail it was the "brakes " on the bed rails that gave way. i am now in the middle of repairng it. my advice is to inspect these 3 inch pieces of l-bend. not so much as the steel itself but how they are attached to the camper. i am no expert on pups but this is one thing im sure most people over look.

10. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

The first time we set up our Jayco 12udk we bent the bed guide rails on the front bunk. We had forgotten to put in all the braces and climbed out to put the brace in the canvas, they bent out of repair. We replaced both with brand new ones for less than 30 dollars. Then we bought a set of jacks for about 70 dollars. We put a 4 ft 2 by 4 that i painted with exterior paint between the two jacks at the front edge of the bunk. Just the piece of mind was worth the 70 dollars, and it takes less than 60 seconds to set the jacks up. We put a bungee cord between the jacks sometimes and hang our wet towels on after an evening swim. This pass weekend we stored all our fishing gear up front under the bunk and put a small tarp across the bungee cord and our gear was out of site from the general public....We have had numerous other campers ask us about our braces and where to get them...
    I wish we were camping now!

11. leetha18

leetha18 New Member

Would love to see a pic of those braces!

I had the poles on one end bend as well. My two grown step-daughters (rounding out about 450-500 lbs) were sitting on them but moving around a bit. One of them leaned to the back corner and we heard the bending of the poles. I had to go buy new ones at the tune of $50 the next day.
    One of them wanted to sleep on the dinette but I don't think that was made for a large person either. Can't have my table break!

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Our 2008 F/W Sea Pine has an 1100 Lb limit on both beds.

13. candleems

candleems Member

outdoorsnga: I second the picture request!

14. Jeckler

Jeckler New Member

3rd'ed

[:D]

15. Dimples

Dimples New Member

Id like to see a pic as well of your support :)

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

They may not even have the popup anymore. The post was originated almost 10 years ago:smiley:

Dimples likes this.
  17. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Dimples - you'll likely be waiting a l-o-n-g time for a response, the author of that post hasn't been seen since Dec 30, 2012!

Dimples likes this.
  18. Dimples

Dimples New Member

Yes i saw that but whats the harm anyway lol

19. Jdog2019

Jdog2019 New Member

I am trying to find the weight limits for a 2015 Dutchmen Aerolite 174e. It has two queen tent foldout sections. I cannot find it posted on the camper (which was just bought used) and Dutchmen is telling us the weight limit is 150 lbs which seems ludicrous. They call this a camper that sleeps 6-8 people. Can anyone help?

1380ken likes this.
  20. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper