Weight Limits on Porta Potti's?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by lovetocamp2010, Apr 26, 2011.

1. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

Does anyone know if one Porta Potti is better than another for people who are a little heavier? I know the PETT is rated up to 350 lbs. Does anyone know of any others - specifically the cheaper ones?

Or have had experiences that did or did not work with the cheaper ones?

2. ocb_dave_ocb

ocb_dave_ocb New Member

I am pushing 335 myself and I have a passport 8l it works great. But you need to think too the entire weight of your body is not on the commode. Your legs will be supporting themselves while your are doing your business. So I would assume a 350 pound rated commode should support a person weighing around 400. I'm not sure though and I maybe wrong in my theory.

3. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

You also have to remember that you are "lightening the load" while you are using it [LOL]

Oldshirt and kcsa75 like this.
  4. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

[LOL] It had to go there didn't it! [LOL]

Oldshirt likes this.
  5. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Thats alot of Poo [:D]

Oldshirt likes this.
  6. bob814u

bob814u New Member

I don't worry about the weight on the toilet as much as getting the weight off the toilet. I am 6'3" and I can rest my chin on my knees (it is relaxing but getting leverage to get off the pot is not fun). I guess I never thought of a weight limit on toilets before. That is one thing that scares the crap out of me. LOL. ALWAYS check for cracks in the plastic of the toilet seat. Those pinches are painful!!!

7. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Bob, I bought the deluxe Thetford with the extra holding capacity.....it makes the toilet a bit higher so I am sitting about normal height....of course I can't store it in the potty cabinet in my camper 'cause the door is too small.

8. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

trying not to be too graphic, besides just weight rating, also keep in mind the actual size of the thing. We have one of the higher end unit's but even then it looks like it's sized for the average elf. I'm 6'3 and 200lbs and well...most times, I'll head for the bathhouse 1st.
    Even after building a stand to put it on, I still feel like I'm trying to balance on a lego.

9. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Before I got my Niagara we had a Thetford 365 that is residential toilet bowl height and has a weight capacity of 352 lbs.

10. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Bwaaahhaaaaaaa [:D]

Oldshirt likes this.
  11. lovetocamp2010

Thanks for the info! Obviously you have a potty in your Niagara now?

12. GOTSMART

GOTSMART New Member

Dude, if you weigh 350-400 lbs, at least 150 lbs of your butt will be hanging off/over the sides of my thetford seat anyway [;)]

13. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Balance on a Lego....LOLOL You guys are a hoot with all the poo-related jokes.

352 lbs....really? Not 350, not 355, but 352? lol [LOL] Engineers crack me up.

14. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Yes, we have the built in ceramic toilet in the Niagara now. We need the Thetford 365 anymore so it's in storage in the attic.

15. ocb_dave_ocb

ocb_dave_ocb New Member

Not necessarily I weigh quite a bit, 335 to be exact but you would never guess it. I have been guessed between 225-265 by anyone who guesses my weight. Just remember muscle weighs more than fat.

16. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

There is So Much WRONG going on with this PUP thread.. [:!]

From someone who can gain weight at the drop of a hat and has to watch it daily---- and who doesn't have (that) much tolerance for obesity.... (sorry, just saying)... I'm kinda chuckling at some of the comments here.. But for sure, It's a sad state in America when a social forum website like this (great!) one has a chat/info thread about how much of a person;s *SS can fit on a PUP port-a-potty.

People!-- 24hr Fitness writes the Biggest Loser-- they know what the heck they are doing--- pay attention and watch the show or just get to a gym, walk around the block and/or put down the Burger King. Yeesh.. isn't your quality of life and those around you worth more? I would really be embarrassed having to ask the question here at hand about Port-A-P capacity. Think about it-- really???

It' NOT okay, so please do not try to rationalize it.

( don't hate me--- tough love can be contagious Ive been told)

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The PETT/go Anywhere is actually rated to 500# [http://www.cleanwaste.com/products#pop]. I'm not going to get into some developing controversy, things are as they are.

The PETT is more of the height of a domestic toilet, which is helpful - the Reliance was just an odd height for me. It also is more stable than the Reliance, even though both have 3 legs; the PETT overall is rectangular and that places the legs a bit farther apart.

18. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Just a quick apology here if my comments came off kind of harsh. I attempted to go back in to modify after reading once again and I was unable, regretfully. Nothing personal against weight issues.. I was just mouthing off as I do sometimes. I do get frustrated tho when especially just this morning at Starbucks I see some parent buying her kid a Venti Frappucino, presumably for breakfast? before heading to school. I mean, WTH?? 600 calories of sugar. The kid was about 4' 11" and weighed as much as I do at 5' 10.

Weight and Health issues cost ALL of us in the end, both socially and economically as a society.
    (Again, apologies & didnt mean to hijack the thread).

19. lovetocamp2010

Gosh, I am a fairly new member to the portal and I thought it was open to any questions at all - no matter what they are. I am brand new to the pup world too. Our pup does not have a potti in it - something we opted not to have, just as to where the location of it was going to be - not big on having the potti right by my head. Anyways, our next option is to do the potti with the tent, which will work fine, but I was doing some preliminary research and noticed the weight limits on some and not others. I mentioned that I am a new pup owner so I am not looking to spend a ton of money for this camping season, so all as I wondered was if I bought a cheep one would it not work if you were a person who was not exactly skinny, but not obese either.

I never thought that people would respond in such a rude way. I guess this portal is open to all questions, but not ones that are subject to being cruel to people who are overweight.

And...sometimes if you are overweight...it's not always about the way the eat and the choices you make. I do all the right things all the time and still struggle with the weight. Not everyone can go on a diet and dro 50 lbs. like that and keep it off!!!

20. paynster

paynster New Member

:) cheer up Im a big person too 350 6 foot 3..its your life you wanna be big be big...Im a window cleaner i climb ladders and love to eat.and camping is the best way to stay active. some poeple can't help being big,it is what is so enjoy yourself..