Weight Limits on Porta Potti's?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by lovetocamp2010, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This one I just ordered says it holds 440 lbs. I would guess that others of similar size would have similar weight limits - but that's just a guess.

I've started another thread about this toilet and review it after I use it for a week.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Portable-Toilet-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B003KWQBU8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I34E43AS8WTMFK&colid=16R4PGVO4I62R

2. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

I looked it up on Amazon - I really like the price and the cabana that is pictured with it for $38 is awesome! Could get everything for under $100. I look forward to your review! We are brand new pop up owners - our 1st trip is in about 3 weeks and I have purchased so many things for this summers' outings - I think this purchase is going to have to wait until next year - unless I can get a great deal, of course - lol! Thanks again for your help!

3. Orchid

We are brand new pop-up owners and our first trip is in a couple of weeks also. :)

Expected delivery date for the potty is 23rd through 27th. I will likely give it a test run at home before we go. I will post my early impressions as well as a full review when return the weekend of 6/4.

4. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

When I read this I thought you meant that the capacity of the holding tank was 440 pounds [LOL]

I was going to comment that if it got full you would never be able to move it............and it would no longer be portable.

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I am cheap when it comes to rigging stuff (not involving safety of course!), and I use a Luggable Loo toilet seat/lid combo that fits onto a 5 gallon bucket. Paint buckets are the best! [8D]

I also was hit by a drunk driver in '93 and have disabilities from that. Yup, I'm a little over weight, have a long list of neuropathies & myopathies, and some days, my legs do NOT want to work properly. Getting back up was becoming an issue, so I just started stacking buckets until it was 1) comfy to sit on and 2) easy to stand when done. Since I was tent camping at the time, hubby made me a nice lightweight wooden base with a bucket sized circle cut out of the middle to use, so it had 1000 percent more balance and didn't eat my tent floor! It even has a carry handle installed! [;)]

Asking about a camping toilet is as normal to me as asking how many tire chocks one should use. While I would probably curse and crush one of those 'foldable leg' models, I'm also 5' 6" and an ex-athlete. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat! Sorry, but it's just true.

The bucket gives me a 'real' toilet seat and is height adjustable without having to disturb the inner bag. [A]

By the way, asking about weight limits on portable toilets from 'like minded' folks should be as standard as asking about the weight limits on the fold out beds! I'm STILL not sure DH and I can sleep on the same bunk yet! [LOL]

[:D]

6. Orchid

Those little folding leg ones have something like a 500lb weight limit! I think it was called the PETT that was being discussed in another thread. I was shocked since they look like they would give out under a five year old.

We cut lengths of rebar and slipped them inside the hollow bunk support poles. After we did it I found out that the bunks hold over 1,000 lbs. They just look scary hanging out like they do. [:D]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

8. witzend

witzend New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

9. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

I have no problem using my folding leg potty with the hanging bags. I weigh 270. Not sure what it is rated. I only use it when I camp by myself.

10. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I have no idea how much weight a porta potty will hold. But, after three kids I do know one thing for sure. If a Pamper says 15 pounds, 15 pounds is all it will hold! THere is no room for error! When it gets to around 14.5 pounds you had better start considering changing it!

11. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

No judgement to the obese (My DW and I are no lightweights either), but trying to visualize a 440-500 lb person sitting on a portapotty sort of hurts my mind. Wouldn't there be a danger of getting it stuck - sort of like the cartoon of the fat lady looking for her Chihuahua? ;)

Chip

NMroamer likes this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Folks, I feel a need to chime in here. I just joined BTW specifically for this thread. I haven't given a pop up much thought as I am more into truck campers. Related, but not exact.... So on to my point...

I ask that you hold off judgement on people with weight issues. You have no idea what is or has gone on in their lives to put them in the situation they are in. I have thyroid issues that certainly don't help, along with spinal damage caused by a car wreck that has kept me in a good deal of pain for the last 17 years keeping my ability to work out minimal...

Something my wife and I noticed years ago is camping trips, both of us drop weight. We swim, we hike when we can, and we are moving more because, well honestly the activities don't hurt as much.

With that said, I am close to 400lbs at 6' tall. We've always tent camped, but are looking to add a truck camper to our repetoire (we want to go places no pop up can with our 4x4 pickup). Lightweight truck campers have no bathroom facility, or at best a port o potty. Usually a 2.3 gallon job.

Our solution for the last couple of decades has been a 6.5 gallon brewers fermentation bucket I got at a local brewers supply. They are cheap, and have the same lid opening / configuration as a standard 5 gallon utlity bucket. I don't know the weight rating on them, but I know my fat behind hasn't even made it flex yet. I use a Reliance Luggable Loo lid, and Double Doodie bags with Bio Gel. All of this stays housed in my privy tent along with the Zodi hot shower on demand system.

This rig works well, not entirely odor free, but really close. The problem is, it grosses my wife out. She wants a flush toilet. So the search for a flushable toilet that won't break under my weight brought me here...

Now, I wanted to inquire if anyone knew if there were posted / listed weight limits on the Camco Premium portable toilet
    41545 would be?

Orchid likes this.
  13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Dbhost, the original post is from 2011...

Im glad that you felt strongly enough about this topic too join. I myself am pushing 350lbs. I was furious reading the one comment about hating overweight people. Glad to have you here! Most every post here is helpful and kind... I wouldn't be here otherwise. Welcome from Michigan

Orchid likes this.
  14. Orchid

We still have the one I linked to 7 years ago. Never had any trouble with seals drying out, or any kind of leak, in all this time. It's still in use to this day, on some in-laws property where they stay every weekend.

It is weight rated for 440 lbs and has been tested by some very large people. Rock solid and a good height that I was always able to use even with two bad knees.

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I hate to ask this question, and I need to ask it as delicately as possible... Is the seat large enough for a heavy man to take care of his seated business and not worry about either end overlapping the seat? I'm kind of leaning toward that unit but am concerned since I can't find one locally about the fit issue...

As long as the seat / hole is the same size as say a Luggable Loo honey bucket lid then it would work...

Orchid likes this.
  16. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

This is hilarious! Even more hilarious that I too had this thought when we purchased our Porto potty. While I can't comment on the unit listed above, I can say that our seat is noticeably smaller than a typical toilet seat.

Without being too graphic, I will say that as a larger guy, you have to be diligent with with how you sit down... Most importantly the "tuck" lol. You know exactly what I mean... Hope this helps

Orchid likes this.
  17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know, all too well... And yeah, I am concerned about that. Heck I'd be willing to stick with the Luggable Loo / Honey Bucket job if it weren't for my lovely bride putting the heck no down on that...

18. Orchid

I'm honestly not sure because I'm a girl and don't have anything that takes up space in the front. :laugh: It's got a good sized seat on it. If it wasn't out on somewhat permanent loan, I would measure it for you.

The seat on it is at least as big as the luggable loo, I can say that for sure.

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That'll work! Thanks.

Orchid likes this.
  20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So after it is all said and done, for some reason this popped up again.

Thinking I was buying the model that Orchid linked to, I ended up buying the Jaxpety 5 gallon model. I am not sure how I got the 2 confused. Anyway, the Jaxpety is less than $50.00 when ordered through Walmart.com. Anyway so far so good. According to Jaxpety they claim that the weight limit is 450lbs.

On the good side, I am dropping weight so the weight limit, while still important, is far less important than it has been...

Anyway, I have the cool gray one.

[​IMG]