Weird electrical stuff happening

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by maryloucb, May 26, 2020.

1. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

I'm totally new to all of this, so please excuse my complete lack of knowledge about all things pop up (especially the electrical system.) Here's my story: when I bought the camper the battery was pretty much dead, but had enough juice to raise the top when I got it home. I plugged it in to the house and it seemed like it was charging the battery. It got up to about 80% charged according to the gauge. We were backyard camping and had a heater and one other thing plugged into the outlets when suddenly everything went dead, even the lights. I had also been having trouble getting the furnace to turn on. I checked the breakers and nothing was tripped. I wiggled the 30amp fuse (I'm assuming that's the main fuse) and there was a beeping and the lights flickered on. As long as I wiggled it into the correct spot, the lights would stay on and the furnace started up. The outlets, however, were now not working (yes, I realize they only work when I'm plugged in.) I tried to reset the GFCI outlet, but the reset button will not push in at all.

I went in this afternoon to fiddle around a little bit and I noticed that the battery was now totally dead again according to the gauge, even though the camper had been plugged in all day and it had showed almost full charge last night. I unplugged the camper and flipped the breakers on and off and then pulled all the fuses out and put them back in. Again, a beeping when I pulled the 30amp fuse and now there is no power even when it's plugged in.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm assuming I need a new battery for starters, but that doesn't explain the fact that there's no power when I'm plugged in.

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Sounds like something is loose, perhaps the ground. If the fuse was bad it wouldn't wiggle back on. It may be the fuse holder.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

One possibility is corroded prongs on the fuse and clips in the socket. If this is the case replacing it with a new fuse may be a short term fix. Cleaning the clips with alcohol on a tiny brush may help.

Another possibility is a bad wiring connection to the fuse panel. If wiggling the fuse continues to break the circuit you should consider this and may need to go behind the fuse panel to find out. Unfortunately I can't help much there.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The fuses are for DC. They have nothing to do with the outlets. Check the GFIC receptacle and reset it.

5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

That's certainly worth checking. How would the jiggling of the fuse cause the circuit to restart with a tripped GFI?

6. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

But lights and outlets both went out at the same time.

7. tombiasi

It wouldn't. Unless the wiggling was also moving the converter back plane.

8. tombiasi

Then check the power to your converter.

Snow likes this.
  9. tombiasi

Didn't we address this already?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult to offer advice when we have no idea of the make / model / year of camper you have. That said, from your description I'd guess your battery is pooched and will need to be replaced.

11. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Sorry, yes I didn't mean to double post, but wanted to add the info about the battery charging up and then being totally drained. I'm not sure if that is pertinent or not.

It's a 2008 Starcraft 10RT with an Elixir converter.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes please keep it on one thread. Because you explaine it diffrently each time. And every thing you list is on diffent systems. You have to realize, thats its 2 different systems. Your battery is probably shot. The fuse is probably loose or a wire is to the dc voltage side, and who knows what is going on with the ac voltage side. It could be the gfi, it could be bad or something else. What are you powering the pup with? And you had an ellectric heater pluged in the last thread? Is the extention cord you are using the corect size? Is the home fuse blown?

13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Seems like multiple issues beginning with the battery. It's not surprising that the battery needs to be replaced. It was probably allowed to drain all the way down and stay that was for an extended length of time. The typical deep cycle battery shouldn't be discharged more than 50% before recharging. And three years of use is good with better than average maintenance.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

check the outlet in your house you are plugged into. either try something electric that works and/or check the breaker.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Very sorry, happy to delete this thread since it's already posted somewhere else, if someone can tell me how. I do understand there are 2 separate systems. I just thought it was odd that it all happened at once. I'm obviously in over my head.

16. Sjm9911

You will be ok, everyone here will help. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose stuff is to eliminate stuff one thing at a time. And that starts from easiest to hardest.

17. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

My introduction to pop up ownership has been a little frustrating. I know I need to unplug from power, but do I also need to disconnect the battery when I am working on the converter box/power center? I'm pretty intimidated to open that thing up. I'm going to get a new battery tomorrow, along with a new 30 amp fuse. I will also probably pick up a new GFCI outlet.

18. Sjm9911

Check what you have it pluged into. Does that outlet work?

19. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Yes, definitely the first thing I checked.

20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Frustrating - yes. When you and so very very many other buy popups and have so very little (or no) experience in electrical/mechanical/plumbing/wheels/axles etc etc - yes its frustrating to learn on the fly. This forum gets the same questions (in various guises) over and over and over (and over again) from folks who bought what is essentially a multi-discipline machine without realizing what they were getting into and leaning the basics beforehand. Even for those of us with some skill,s they can be frustrating at times.