Weird situation with door frame

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
Normally there is a hinged plate at the top of the door that gets locked once in place, when not locked there is ample 'play' to raise the top part of the door and stab into the bottom. Once in the top of the door swings in place and is locked into place via turn buttons on the roof's short side wall, they fit through holes or slots in the hinge plate, once the turn buttons are turned they lock the hinge plate against the roof's short side wall.

Found this image here of a hinge plat with missing turn buttons
https://www.popupportal.com/media/door-top-hinge.9391/
I have all that but plate does not flatten. Door opens and closes, just looks wonky.

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
Very good troubleshooting guide you gave there, every thing seems to be in check and square. The only thing I can think of now is if the hinge on top of the top door that swings back so you can stow the door is bent or not allowing any vertical movement to allow you to lift the door to get the bottom door guides high enough to set the door frame in place then slide back down to seat on the weather seal of the bottom door without having to crank the top up to do this task. The only measurements that are throwing me off is when you have the door frame in place and take measurements on all 4- corners of the camper the front 2- sides are 1” higher than the back 2- sides. Then if you take the top door and frame loose and crank the top down to where it should be seating on the bottom door weather seal the measurements are exact in all 4 corners. I don’t know when the top is in place like it is suppose to be if there are suppose to be some built in slope to allow water to run off the top. I think having to crank the top an extra inch to get the top door frame to clear the bottom frame is what is pulling the canvas out of the tracks in places. You would think that top horizontal door hinge would have some up and down movement so you could put the top door frame in place and start the guides in the lower frame without having to crank everything including the guides above the lower door frame.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I am going to take more measurements and check things out.

Volly

Jul 13, 2020
Mark, check the hinges to the door and make sure they are not bent. That would cause this problem. When you check - look at the lower door when closed and see if it is seated at each corner vs the door jam the same. I'd also check the seals on the lower door.
May I make one other suggestion - take a bunch of pictures and post them here. Sometimes a different set of eyes can spot the problem. I've had to call many people in over the years to eyeball something I couldn't figure out.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I took every bodies advice and did not cut the door frame. I got a chance to set it up today. This time I cranked it up enough where I had plenty of slack and put all the canvas in the track. I then cranked it up till the canvas was good and snug. Then I started messing with the door. I got it lifted up with the wife inside and put the door in the guides, it was on a slight angle and she pressed in on the top hinge and it flattened out and the door went in place. I was happy had all the canvas in the track. Then while putting support poles under the bed the wife put a long pole where the short one was suppose to go, it wedged it good and from the lifting and tapping on the pole to get it loose it pulled about 1” of canvas out of the track behind a lifting arm. After I give her a good butt chewing I settled for 99 percent of the canvas in this time. My problem is I can’t get under the bed to put in the poles myself because of a knee injury and surgery, so I lift up the end of bed while she secured the poles in place. I’m hoping next time I set it up to be at 100 percent canvas in track,

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
I took every bodies advice and did not cut the door frame. I got a chance to set it up today. This time I cranked it up enough where I had plenty of slack and put all the canvas in the track. I then cranked it up till the canvas was good and snug. Then I started messing with the door. I got it lifted up with the wife inside and put the door in the guides, it was on a slight angle and she pressed in on the top hinge and it flattened out and the door went in place. I was happy had all the canvas in the track. Then while putting support poles under the bed the wife put a long pole where the short one was suppose to go, it wedged it good and from the lifting and tapping on the pole to get it loose it pulled about 1” of canvas out of the track behind a lifting arm. After I give her a good butt chewing I settled for 99 percent of the canvas in this time. My problem is I can’t get under the bed to put in the poles myself because of a knee injury and surgery, so I lift up the end of bed while she secured the poles in place. I’m hoping next time I set it up to be at 100 percent canvas in track,
I'm confused about "putting all the canvas in the track"? Can you post a picture?

CajunMan

Mar 7, 2020
I'm confused about "putting all the canvas in the track"? Can you post a picture?
I think he's referring to the grommet along the canvas that pushes into the side frame of the door. My new camper uses velcro instead

CajunMan

Mar 7, 2020
You don't velcro the canvas to the door before it is in place do ya?
No. Once door is in place it velcros onto the inside and outside. Way better than my old Coleman that I had to push the canvas edge into that groove