Well Crap, here we go again

jab2181

Super Active Member
Jul 4, 2012
Well, it's been a couple months since our last trip and just now getting around to posting what happened when I was tearing down. As I was putting the roof down, I heard a pop in the front right corner started to come down on me. After I yelled for one of my friends that we were camping want to come over he held the roof while I finish taking the awning down. With that being said, I was pretty upset so I parked in the garage for the winter and decided today since it was nice, to open it up and figure out what it happen.well, after opening it up I found out that it was not a cable that broke. In a sense that is a good thing, but now I have to figure out what happened.The only thing that I can figure out what occurred, was that when I took the door down it might have overextended the spring, and I think it got bound up. So now, I Will be ordering all the new parts and starting to get it ready again for this spring. Also with all the problems that I'm having with the door to get it centered and not lining up right, I am thinking of ordering a brand-new door from Jayco. When I talk to Cunningham campers they advised that they do not make that style of door anymore. So I will be getting a full size new entry door that comes down one set up so hopefully that will solve my problem with how it aligns.anyone else have this happen to them before?
BE8D1AE1-8564-4B04-8B95-4813DBB109BA_zpswyz5bm7s.jpg
[/URL]

C00F241B-EB1C-4F4F-9C32-9717DF2C9984_zpsrgdlwgge.jpg
[/URL]

[RTM] [MOD] [?:~{]

russjbeck

Jun 2, 2014
I am not sure how a spring could come out by being overextended unless the top was cranked up even higher to make the slug push the back part of the spring out. If the top is pushed up by hand the spring doesn't go up. It would seem it after it was lowered the crank kept being turned and the spring fell out of the guide, or jumped out of the guide, when it was being raised. In other words it was retracted too much. Want's up with the other spring that is visible under the crank?

jab2181

Super Active Member
Jul 4, 2012
It is the same spring, When I pulled it out the track is bent about a quarter of an inch so I do not know where the fail point is. The spring looks like it was only an inch or so in the track when it failed. So looks like I will start my parts list and replace it all and hope that it does not happen again.

russjbeck

Jun 2, 2014
Got it. I bent a track becasue the floor gave way on mine. It was tough beating it back into shape. All else fails go get a C&R universal kit!