well it lasted a year. Our hybrid has lost its hold.

ill.plainsman

happy, happy
Jun 21, 2012
Champaign Illinois
Our Bullet Outback by Keystone has lost its hold on its self. 2019 model. The canvas has a plastic band on the edge of it, that clips the canvas to the wall. The clipping Im referring to seals the edge that is up against the front bunk. Where this makes a turn on the right side, its coming off the track. It looks like its just a seasonal problem, cold shrinkage on formaly warm areas. Also two different materials being joined there. My question is, if you all have had this happen to you, Is there some way to pinn this corner so it won't come undone again.? On our old popup our top was coming loose on the bottom seal and the dealer fixed it by putting a short screw in the canvas to pin it. It worked. Here Im not seeing a way to pin this thing. So Im thinking maybe a drop of glue or silicone in each corner of each bunk. I just didn't want to do what someone has tried and found that the silicone or glue damaged the canvas or the screw was in the wrong place. Thanks to all who read this for their help.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Agreed, I think I would be having a discussion with Keystone including pictures
Hi Jay.....

Thats easier said than done based on discussions I attempted to have regarding things with the 2013 passport hybrid we had.

What the OP describes is called J lock and the reason it pulls loose in the corners is the tent material shrinks or was made to be too tight to begin with. We / They had the same issue in 2013. Its a design issue and I never found a way to fix it. Reattach the corners at the door frame and then the J lock will split, or the J lock will pull loose from the stitching to the fabric. No good solution except replacement of the tent which will likely solve nothing, as they have had that issue since at least 2013 and apparently not corrected it. Its definitely a Keystone issue as Lippert makes the door and frame which is supplied as an assembled unit, and the RV manufacturer sources out the tent which they install. That said Keystone is quick to wash their hands of anything and everything.

I reattached the corners and then shortened the Sheppards pole to not put as much tension on the U frame/ fabric which seemed to help until the J lock started splitting.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
Hi Jay.....

Thats easier said than done based on discussions I attempted to have regarding things with the 2013 passport hybrid we had.

What the OP describes is called J lock and the reason it pulls loose in the corners is the tent material shrinks or was made to be too tight to begin with. We / They had the same issue in 2013. Its a design issue and I never found a way to fix it. Reattach the corners at the door frame and then the J lock will split, or the J lock will pull loose from the stitching to the fabric. No good solution except replacement of the tent which will likely solve nothing, as they have had that issue since at least 2013 and apparently not corrected it. Its definitely a Keystone issue as Lippert makes the door and frame which is supplied as an assembled unit, and the RV manufacturer sources out the tent which they install. That said Keystone is quick to wash their hands of anything and everything.

I reattached the corners and then shortened the Sheppards pole to not put as much tension on the U frame/ fabric which seemed to help until the J lock started splitting.

unfortunately I have heard this far too many times about Keystone so I believe you

flingwing1969

Jul 6, 2013
California Cascade Range
Hi Jay.....

I have no experience with this camper but Old_Geezer seems to know. If the issue is too much space and not enough tent to fill it, is it possible to remove the J-Lock, add a 1 inch (or so) wide strip of aluminum flat (or something) to the J-Lock previously attached and then reinstall the J-Lock onto that strip, thus reducing the space by an inch? I'm envisioning a bunk end/side but again, you would know and I don't.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28932

ill.plainsman

happy, happy
Jun 21, 2012
Champaign Illinois
I don't think that would do it. I don't know how to put pictures on here. Im still kind of ignorant on these sites. The J-Lock he's and I'm talking about is a thick J shaped semi hard soft plastic strip that is sewn on the edge of canvas that goes around the top edge of the canvas and it joins the canvas to the frame of the camper. It actually hangs off it. I appreciate your feedback. Im going to try putting some marks on the J-Lock strip and on the frame of the camper and see what's moving the most. Maybe I can find out if one side moves more than the other. With that information I can put a relief cut in a certain spot or something to make it so the strip doesn't try and pull apart. Wish us luck.