Well it's happened

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nhcaveman, May 1, 2020.

1. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold Active Member

My end of May reservation is still good so far. Can't wait to go back to my favorite place to camp.

thumbnail-2.jpeg

2. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Yosemite and Zion trips already canceled. It looks like we won’t be able to take our trailer anywhere this year. If by any miracle things change by summer we will hopefully take at least one trip. Trying to keep a positive outlook...

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

We are holding out hope that our July Colorado trip will stay in tact but who knows at this point.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We just emailed our camper storage guy about getting it out. If we hear for him, maybe this weekend????????????????

WVhillbilly, SongCamper and Rik Peery like this.
  5. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

I made no reservations this year due to some medical issues. I'm from NY. I was hoping to go to Moose River Rec. Area to boondock but our governor has decided that being hundreds of feet if not yards apart is too dangerous. So I'll just hang out in the camping section of the local Walmart, where the governor deemed it safe.

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Widely spaced campsites. Unsafe
    Crowded public transportation. Safe.

7. eagle

eagle Member

I had 3 trips on the books, and all 3 were canceled. I now have 2 trips schedule; we'll see if I actually get to keep these.

8. JoJo77

JoJo77 Member

I also had my June 11th Ludington trip cancelled. Governor Whitmer is a witch.

Ductape likes this.
  9. Pam Mortensen

Pam Mortensen New Member

We had to cancel a week long group trip in April. Our five week August trip is probably going to be trimmed, part of it is in Canada, not sure when the borders will open.

My husband was going to retire this summer. He works from home and figures if he is going to be trapped here, he may as well get paid, so retirement is going to be postponed.

My biggest hesitation is, how fun is our trip going to be if we can’t go to the attractions along the way? Wineries, museums, breweries and restaurants? I don’t want to vacation in an uncomfortable mask.

WVhillbilly and Rik Peery like this.
  10. BBQdave

BBQdave Well-Known Member

I am sorry that you do not have a leader in state government. But it has been a bizarre lesson in politics gone crazy, there in Michigan.

I am fascinated by what crazy thing Governor Whitmer will do next. It truly has no rhyme or reason. It's not helping Michigan. It's not helping her career. Her crazy is hurting everyone, including herself.

I try not to judge too harshly in the sense of one's intelligence, but it seems that this situation has overwhelmed her ability to reason.

Hang in there, most likely you are one election cycle from resolving this problem. Be well.

Edit: the usual, spelling :)

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    WVhillbilly, Ductape and JoJo77 like this.
  11. Mary Bordeaux

Mary Bordeaux Member

We were supposed to leave two days ago for a cross country trip, Georgia to california, with stops at the big attractions - Alamo, Carlsbad caverns, grand canyon, redwood forests, mt. Rushmore, old faithful. Bought a PUP and new TV just for this trip. Sigh. Guess we'll try again in the fall. Meanwhile, we'll do some shorter trips to the local lake. And continue to pray for those more seriously impacted by the pandemic. Stay safe, y'all!

MNTCamper and Rik Peery like this.
  12. suncookrocks

suncookrocks New Member

I never understood the attraction to Salisbury State Park. I know the ocean is right there and that makes it popular but, it's literally one giant parking lot. Not to mention the constant watchful eye of the State Police. To each his own I guess. By the way, we are practically neighbors. I'm in Pembroke.

13. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

I'm a memeber of the American Voyager Association (older motorcycle enthusiasts) and thr annual rally was cancelled for this year as well as my daughter's wedding needing to be rescheduled. There's more like granddaughters college graduation ceremony and many other events, still juggling ideas for summer getaways in between rescheduled stuff.
    Camping and riding country/mountain roads are always things for me to look forward to.

14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

We're having an informal camp out here in WV in June.
    If you're interested I'll PM you the info.

15. BBQdave

Here in NC we have gone FULL MORON MODE :)

Memorial Weekend Camping is cancelled. I had little hope we would camp, but it was still a little hope.

NC Governor Roy Cooper (D) has decided to cancel Summer. We are in Phase One, which you would think is lifting restrictions, but it's actually tightening up - the Dems are now jailing people for trying to live and work.

The three phase MORON MODE covers 6 weeks (or more) and puts us a good way into July.

Our dim witted NC State Park Director has said some camping will be permitted, but it's on his whim and you are still not allowed to hike or swim.

I don't expect a whole lot out of public officials, but it did surprise me how quickly Americans bent the knee and gave up their rights and freedoms. The right to assemble - gone. The right to travel - gone. Equal access to public land - gone.

And don't kid yourself, if you are of a certain wealth level and political level - these infringements of rights and liberty do not apply to you.

It didn't even take a real crisis event, just a lab virus and constant misinformation pumping from the news media. Why did this work? Because a good chunk of the country believes a Blue Government should take care of you and live your life for you.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Our red governor (R) with a Red Senate were one of first states to shut down, including canceling an election the night before polling day. I think we had less then a few hundred cases when he did it. He has rescheduled opening camping now for the third time. Since he's on his first term we need to switch to blue.

BBQdave likes this.
  17. BBQdave

Born and raised in Ohio :) OSU graduate, Spring 1990. It's sad to see what is happening to the Buckeye state.

Lots of family and friends in Ohio, suffering under his rule. Vote him Out!

NC is a deep rooted Blue state. So the establishment (and back door deals) are through the D's down here.

I do have some hope though. Traveling to a trail I ride, I pass a new micro brewery - outdoor food truck place. It's a cool idea, the little building is a bar, and different food trucks set up in the parking lot for outdoor dining - or take your food into the bar and have a pint :)

Anyway, police officers (without masks) gather there for a bite to eat. Construction workers, and others gather there too, for a bite to eat and a pint. I smile when I see this, because it's a piece of real life - people gathering and sharing a meal and friendship. And they're from all walks of life.

Whether your Blue or Red, in a uniform or dusty overalls, folks are gathering living life :)

Edit: the usual, spelling :)

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Ohio is so shut down there is no sitting and eating or drinking. The truck stops dinners were shut down for over a week and the truckers had no place to eat. The governor gave in and allowed food truck to serve at the interstate rest areas.

On the flip side the curve is not growing as fast. But how do you open up the state with about 15,000 active cases when you shut down the state with less then 1,000. I think what I was seeing; un-checked the curve was doubling about every 3-4 day. The governor will look like a moron if he opens up the state and we see that type of growth.

And what about the federal government. In january the leaders get a very reliable intelligence that a pandemic is on its way. The only thing they do is shut down travel to/from a few cities and for the next couple month put their head in the sand and say its not a problem. When we could have fired up industry to develop a silver bullet cure and start up the supply chain and get prepared 2 to 3 months earlier. So when we see a silver bullet cure; just think to yourself, if our leaders were doing their job we would have seen this cure 2+ month earlier.

19. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold Active Member

Well, my reservation was cancelled. Stay at home order extended until may 31st. I'm so bummed but I did make a new reservation for June 1st, we'll see.
    I just want to go camping!

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We made plans at a private campground first week of June and hoping all goes well. What perplexs me is that with as many people pass through our Essential (really non essential) store is far more people then I would contact in the parks. This needs to be called out. It makes no sense.