Well this year was mostly a bust..

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Brate, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Brate

Brate Bravado!

Only managed to make 3 of our camping trips... so much [______] happened this year... so bummed. Trying to squeeze at least on more in before we call it a year.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

That's too bad. Always has to be something that comes up or the weather isn't right...

3. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Are you that half empty type of person? [;)]

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Same here, we usually camp at least 25-30 nights a season. This year we only had Father's Day weekend!!!
    We are trying to plan on going one more weekend either this month or next. The DW was really bummed we did not camp more this year!

At least there is always next year [A]

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Season.. What's this season thing you speak of

WINTER CAMPING

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

FYI: A pessimist says the glass is half empty, an optimist says the glass is half full.
    An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

7. 1madscot

1madscot Member

the Buddhist says the glass does not exist at all, the water is contained within our spirit.

8. tombiasi

I believe that. My spirit needs to empty the water many times during my nightly meditation.

9. chippers

chippers New Member

And the idealist says the glass is completely full of both air and water.
    [;)]

Between bad weather and new jobs, we've only been out once this year. Hoping for one more weekend real soon. Better luck next year everyone!

10. tombiasi

Yeah, very rainy summer for me and many things to keep me from camping. Made about 7 trips.

11. jasf

jasf New Member

We got out for 5 weekends & 1 extended trip. I feel very fortunate to have gotten what we did. Both DDs are involved in school sports now. I don't see our situation getting better for the next 8 years.

12. Tolleykatz

Tolleykatz New Member

I think 4 long weekend trips is a good number. Especially with busy kids and other family obligations. With our new PUP we will get one more trip in at Thanksgiving (fried turkey in the wood, heck yeah!)!!! Plus we do take the pup to my parents lake house in the summer. I think her house is actually smaller than the new pup, LOL!!! ;)

13. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

Well, you've made me feel much better. I've only been out three weekends.

I got the NTM PUP in May and was looking forward to some camping with the added amenities. Then I started a new job in July. I was hoping to get out more than I did. But, with the new job I'm not eligible for vacation time until January. However, it was definitely worth making the change.

I do love reading about others adventures and mis-adventures.

I'm still trying to fix the leaks in the PUP. And I need to figure out why the hot water is coming out rusty.

14. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Same here. Revised school testing schedules, kids' school trips, and breaking the bank on the U.S. trip put the kabosh on camping here.

15. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

We only took a shake down trip to make sure everything was working and then went to Mid-Con with PUX. Might have been one other weekend. Hoping to get out the 18th if weather allows and watch DD perform at halftime of a football game.

16. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We normally get out for 8 weekends a year as a family and another 8 weekends with Scouts and this year is about half of that due to a DS graduation, a FIL having knee surgery, and a few other things. We have one more trip planned for the year. I normally get in several kayak trips a year and we only paddled 2 rivers this year. I am hoping next year will be more travel, less family health issues and more time outdoors. The positive side is that everyone is getting better, my son is in college and doing well and I am still gainfully employed. The other upside next year is my younger DS and I get to spend a week in the Keys camping on a private island with Scouts. Life is still pretty darn good in spite of a few glitches this season.

17. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

im bummed right now because this weekend looks like rain friday night and all day saturday. I took a vacation day to go camping and have a 3 day weekend planned. I have not camped in the rain and dont really want to this late in the year. Being out kayak fishing in the rain doesnt bother me but cold rain does. I guess Im lucky enough to say Ive only had the pup 5 months and have been out 19 days total at 4 different campgrounds. I am or was REALLY looking forward to this trip. It 45min. away and my Son was coming up to join us. He is 25 and still loves to do things with his mom and dad :)

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Over the years, we've found that sometimes we just get in more camping than others. If we have a low-camping year, we tend to try to make it up the next. One thing that helped was learning to look at the calendar around Xmas and put trips on it. While we don't plan everything, we get more done that way. DH has a work & vacation schedule that lends itself to planning. Without kids, we only have to coordinate work and volunteer activities (had to cut back on those in the last couple of years, so that helped the schedule). This year has been better for camping for me, since I took two solo trips. Being closer to 60 than 50, I figure I should get out as much as creaky joints allow.
    Lots of things can interfere with plans. I attempt to understand that. Our last scheduled trip is in two weeks. DH has a backcountry permit at Grand Canyon and we have a week reserved at Mather CG. We'll see if that all happens!

19. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Guys...just remember...a bust can be a good thing! [:)O] [8D]

20. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

3 times is good in my book. I got out for 3 times, and they were great. Now to start dreaming of next season. [SUN]