Well We Did It.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Va_Camper, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Well we did it. After a long and sometimes discouraging quest. I believe we have found our camper. We have found a 99 a Jayco Heritage Laurel. We have to double check that the AC works. When we spooked at it this morning. The power cord fell inside the camper. So, the dealer couldn't get it out and didn't have anyone there today to get it out. They are going to fish it out Monday for us before we pay for it. We wanted one with a bathroom because of my wife and two daughters, 5 and 3 years old.

A question for y'all. Since I live in western Virginia and have small children. Do you think it will a problem to camp in a popup in October?

2. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Congrats!

We camp in October in Wilkesboro, NC. To ensure DW is warm enough, I make sure to get a campsite with electric. Since our pup didn't have a furnace, I carried a couple space heaters just in case.

Also, look at getting some popupgizmos. Otherwise known as PUGs. They are great for maintaining the temperature in the bunk ends.

I forgot to mention, we are having another rally in October. See the link in my signature for details. We'd love to have you!

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Welcome from coastal NC

4. lmfishon505

lmfishon505 New Member

Congrats on the new rig, welcome from New Mexico.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest.

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Congrats! Yes, we have camped in Pennsylvania into October, even the first weekend in November. We have also camped early in the spring with heaters. Electric hookups help for space heaters - we do have a propane heater in our TT(and we had one in our popup too) but I prefer the electric space heater because it is quieter. Another thing that helped keep the heat in was using something like a popup gizmo. We made homemade gizmos with sportmans space blankets from Cablelas. They reflect the sun on hot days and keep your popup cooler and keep the heat in the colder weather.

Have fun!

7. sallugo

sallugo Member

Welcome from Tucson AZ!

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Congrats .... good luck.... happy camping.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Welcome to the Portal and congrats on the NTU PUP. That's a nice older model. Pretty big with lots of room. I wouldn't worry too much about the kids and camping in Oct. Heck, your in Virginia, not Minnesota. Just bring some warm blankets from home and you'll be fine even at higher elevations.

If you plan to do a lot of cold weather camping, there are some things you can do to make it more comfortable. Make some window inserts out of Reflectix for the bunkends. It'll help hold in any heat you have inside. Can also use it under the mattresses. If you have shore power, a 1500 watt electric heater will be a lot quieter than the furnance and keep it @ 15 deg. above ambient temp. (With an A/C unit, you could run 2 heaters if it's really cold. One on the A/C circuit and one on the other circuit.). With the Reflectix it'll be more. A set of Popup Gizmos over the bunkends will also trap heat inside during the winter and make a huge difference in the summer if you're on a sunny site. The Gizmos create a dead air space between the Gizmos and the bunkend ceiling. Do all that and you'll be well over 35-40 deg. above ambient temp.

10. GMD

GMD Member

Hello and Welcome from Central Florida.

11. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Hello from central Virginia.
    I'm taking my 3 year old son camping this fall. I've got no worries about it. If it gets too cold in the camper, he gets to snuggle with Mommy and Daddy.
    But I don't think you have anything to worry about.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Virginia....happy camping

13. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Hello and Welcome to the Forum from South Central Kentucky. Congrats on the N2U PUP.

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

14. marines0811

marines0811 New Member

We camped on October 20th last year in Minnesota.

15. Happicamper

Happicamper New Member

Hi and welcome from MA!

We are going camping this October in Vermont. You'll be fine! Once you get all snuggled into your bags you are toasty warm within minutes.