Wench suggestions...

DogsCamping

Mar 12, 2016
Hi all…so on our 2nd camping trip ever our wench decided it no longer wanted to be a part of our camper and broke in 1/2 while our pup was still up! We got it down ok with the help of some amazing rangers but now we need to replace it. I have no idea about wenches or what exactly to look for. Does anyone have a brand/model that they would suggest and like? I believe our camper is a 1999 Viking LS Series 1706. Thanks for any suggestions and happy camping! : ) [PU]

Attachments

• IMAG2215.jpg
    IMAG2215.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG2214.jpg
    IMAG2214.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

edh

Super Active Member
Jun 2, 2008
Another example of how you have to proofread very carefully when using your phone's dictation feature...
I'm not sure the women here will appreciate the use of the term "wenches". Suggest that you re-post your question with "winch", if nothing else but to avoid all these smart ass responses... (including mine).

DogsCamping

Mar 12, 2016
Sadly I thought this was a place people helped each other. Guess not...guess none of you have ever spelled anything wrong on a board before...and it's funny I'm not the only one who's ever used the word "wench" when referring to a winch asking a question...and the kicker for all you wonderful a-hats...I'm a women!

Antipodes

Call me Paul
Jan 28, 2015
Christchurch, New Zealand
DogsCamping said:
I believe our camper is a 1999 Viking LS Series 1706. Thanks for any suggestions and happy camping! : ) [PU]
No with standing the obvious pun about wenchs, I note you are a lady yourself and I guess that not knowing about winches would explain the spelling mistake.
I am not overly familiar with the model of Pop up, but a quick search I think you have a goshen lift system installed.
If that is the case it looks like the winch that is in place is not a standard installation and it is possibly something someone else has installed.
Can't be certain of this as I don't have the experience on the viking to catagorically say that is correct.
Please do verify if you can if it has the Goshen lift system.
If it does then a suitable option maybe to install a manual winch assembly, Goshen sells the manual winch if you contact them for a reasonable price. Many on the portal have replaced the electric system with the manual system.

Edit: I see you have replied to the inane remarks and I applaud you. Yes there is plenty of help here and don't get discouraged by the initial damp response. You WILL get help.

Novarich

Dec 8, 2014
Look into a 12 volt ATV winch. Harbor freight has them for around 80.00. They also have a worm gear drive manual winch if you choose to go that route.

PmRacing

May 15, 2016
DogsCamping said:
Sadly I thought this was a place people helped each other. Guess not...guess none of you have ever spelled anything wrong on a board before...and it's funny I'm not the only one who's ever used the word "wench" when referring to a winch asking a question...and the kicker for all you wonderful a-hats...I'm a women!

Humor is the best medicine.

And yes, everyone has misspelled something. And we laughed together about it.

And got the info that we wanted. Right along with some jokes.

Mikeeee

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I have to agree @Antipodes, it's a Goshen lift system, but the power winch is a custom job. I couldn't find any info on a kit or option for a 1999 era Goshen lift system with a 12V winch option.

It's likely an old ATV winch, or maybe some sort of power boat winch.

Finding a replacement part for it is going to be difficult. You could replace the electric winch with the original hand crank winch at www.popupparts.com

It looks like you're missing an entire housing that connects the motor to the winch hub. On the other end (the end we can't see in the pictures) is there a knob or a button you can turn or pull and twist? If so, don't move it, but that would convince me it's an ATV winch.

Don't mind the jokes, everyone knows that eventually real answers are coming, so it's no biggie if the first few simply try to find the humor in the situation. This board is probably the most helpful, least flame-sending board out there. Just don't:

1. Proclaim there's only one way to camp, and everything else is NOT camping
2. Ask if you should use wood, Lynx or a BAL to level your PUP
3. Ask if you should insure your PUP

These topics are really just a "tastes great! less filling" debate repeated over and over.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
DogsCamping said:

Lighten up a little and we'll all have more fun together. :)

edh

Super Active Member
Jun 2, 2008
People were just having a little fun at your expense, and a little teasing about an amusing typo doesn't mean you wouldn't get help here (which you did). Your typo was just a bit amusing is all, and sometimes people are momentarily distracted by such things. That's why I suggested re-posting without the typo.

Yes, many of us have committed typos and worse, and sometimes they draw jocular responses. We try to have some fun here sometimes--in fact we have a whole section on stupid camping tricks that we've seen or done, things we share to lighten things up now and then. That's what people were using your typo for, a bit of levity to balance out the sad tales of leaking roofs and crappy dealers and broken lifts. We need to lighten things up sometimes. So lighten up, eh?

paw

Jul 4, 2015
winch, wench. they're, there, their. to, too, two. Don't you love the English language.

I think men are more use to friendly ribbing.