West Coast Swim

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by bearnbrie, Jan 28, 2014.

1. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Brie wants to go to the west coast and swim in the Pacific Ocean and see some sites like San Francisco, Sequoia trees, ect. We'll take the TT so I'm in need of places to stay-see along the way and of course info on California, probably boondock or dry camp most of the way out there. I've just flown into LA but have not driven in California before let alone pulled a 30 ft. TT there. I think we will be going along I-40 and/or route 66 to get there. May also want to do the coast highway up to the Pacific NW area. Any thoughts ?
    Not sure if we'll have internet along the way unless we stop where there's WIFI for the laptops.

2. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Guess nobody has any advice about traveling west from Texas or pulling a Travel Trailer in California.

3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Wish I could help you, we are just North of the border not too far from the Aldergrove border crossing. We would love to do the Oregon Coast ourselves, but we have never taken the TT across the border.....with our loonie dropping against the U.S. dollar....we may have to put that plan on hold.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There are just too many things to say. I'm sure that many of use could write a short book about all of the possibilities. Perhaps you can ask some more specific questions and tell us a bit more about your interests and the amount of time you have for the trip.

Three items: First, all vehicles towing a trailer are limited to 55 mph in California. That may be a bit of a shock to someone from Texas. Second, I would not recommend towing a TT on Highway 1 up the California coast. It's too narrow and winding -- and there will be many, many pissed off car drivers behind you. Third, not many people swim in the Pacific up here in the Northwest. The water is COLD since the Alaskan current runs down the coast.

5. grantar2

grantar2 Member

If you want to swim in the Pacific think further south. Come into San Diego or Orange County. There are tons of state Parks along this route. I agree with the writer who said you'll peev off people towing a trailer up Hwy 1, but it is still done all the time. The answer how to do it. I suggest coming in around Malibu, running up through Santa Barbara and then back to I-15. Water here in the summer is still colder than you would see in the Gulf.

6. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Thanks for the come backs. We are retired so time is not much of an issue as much as money can be. We'll try and save some money boondocking and overnighting in truck stops ect. when not in area's where we find we want to stay a few days. I don't think I want to pull the TT up hwy 1, maybe just go over there to get to a park to stay at. I have a friend I went to school with that lives in Riverside, Ca. and I plan on visiting him while there. Is there a good time of day to travel the freeways in Ca.? Sites that are a must see? Don't really like the big cities but can't avoid them all the time I guess.

7. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

Look up Hearst Castle on the internet-it about an hour's drive south of San Francisco. It's a 'must see'...they shot the pool scene from 'Spartacus'(with Kirk Douglas)there. The last time I was there they were offering four separate tours of the grounds, main house and out buildings. There is no way in today's economy and with laws regarding exportation of national treasures that anyone would be able to recreate what William Randolph Hearst did.

8. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

[?:~{]

Not likely! Drive down from SF to Hearst on highway 1 is four+ hours! If you hop on 101, you might make it in four. Its a LONG way. From Santa Barbara your looking at 2+ hours. However, a great thing to visit but a bit pricey.

+1 if you want to swim in the ocean, do it in San Diego and no further north than Malibu/Ventura if you want it semi-tolerable. US1 does have great views between Hearst and Monterey. If you ran that route during the week, you wouldn't have too much traffic to piss off. There are a number of private and state-run parks/campgrounds. Most only reserve half the sites, the other half are drive-up. During the week, you should be able to get a spot and you could have it for as long as you can pay [;)] Not too sure of boon-docking opportunities, though.

There is a spring mid-state rally (April) at Montana Del Oso (between Pismo and Morro Bay) that I will be attending (Staying 4 nights). Right after that, I will be heading up US1 to Lime Kiln park for 4 more nights. Both a short walk to the beach - but not planning on swimming! [:O]

9. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

my apologies. I just asked my husband if the drive was 4 hours and he agreed, "something like that". time has a way of taking the edges off:)(I would still make the trip. I've been there twice and would go again in a heart beat-but then again, I like that kind of stuff)

10. grantar2

grantar2 Member

You can reach Riverside from either of the southern routes into Calfornia, but I-10 is likely the easiest. If I can make some suggestions. Come into California via I-10, stop in Phoenix AZ along the way and see the Fire Fighters Museum, and Centennial AF base. Both are excellent. Continue to Palm Springs and see the Aviation Museum, if you didn't see the one in Phoenix. After a wonderful visit with friends in Riverside, head down to San Diego via I-15, and stay along Mission Bay. Visit Sea World, San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Train Museum, San Diego Air & Space Museum, Tour the U.S.S. Midway - There is usually an active Nimitz Class sitting just across the bay. Head up the 405 Fwy and stop at Bolsa Chica State Beach and use it as a base to see Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Belmont Shores (dinning) and play golf if your into that. Skip L.A. and head north to Santa Barbara, well in Santa Barbara don't miss Solvang. (like others have said do not miss Hurst Castle (top 10 must see in California). North of Santa Barbara it's a matter of if you like outdoor things, food and wine. As you move north some of the best restaurants, dinners and dives are found. Northern California has some of the finest wines in the world. (Wish my diabetes allowed me to still drink). The redwoods and coast are beautiful. Word of warning, we are in one of the worst droughts we have ever seen. There is a water war starting in Norther California, and areas may be a little parched. California has some great state parts, but many are dry camping.

11. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

If you stay in San Diego, there are some nice state beaches right on the coast, but they aren't cheap. Silver Strand, San elijo, and South Carlsbad. $35 to 50 a night with no hookups, $50 to $65 with water and electric.
    There are a couple of resort style parks that are a little further inland, a KOA in Chula Vista, and Campland on mission bay. They are even more expensive, but have more amenities. Santee lakes is even further inland, but somewhat cheaper.
    If you are retired or active military, you might be able to get a site at Camp Pendleton. IMO, the best beach camping in SoCal.
    All of these will probably require a reservation.

12. cannibal

cannibal New Member

I also agree that the best places to swim in the water are south of Ventura.
    Carlsbad is a nice campground, I have stayed there a few times (when i was living in Carlsbad!) and look forward to going back. It was spendy, about $45 a night and it's a long trek down the stairs of the cliff face to get to the beach.

Doheny state beach was also nice to camp at, but there's a train track near the site. I would suggest reserving an ocean front spot if you decide to camp here.

13. Escopeton

Escopeton New Member

There are some very good suggestions here on where to stay. BTW, if you stay at Bolsa Chica, bring your fishing rod and fish in the surf.

14. Twin Mom

Twin Mom New Member

We have enjoyed both San Elijo and Carlsbad in San Diego. Doheny is good but the water can be a bit dirty. Bolsa Chica is fun in Orange County. El Capitan and Leo Carillo are good for Santa Barbara. Last summer we went to Santa Curz. There are a few campgournds in the middle of younger redwoods but still a great stay and only 30 minutes to the beach. Going up to Monterey and into Oregon this summer back down through the Red Woods. Looking forward to it. You have so many great choices. Have fun.

15. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

Of the 3 state beaches just north of Santa Barbara, I like Refugio the best. My only drawback is that they are south facing, so you can't see the sun set into the water in the summertime.

16. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

One of your questions was when to avoid the LA Freeways, Anti-Rush hours 07:00-09:30, 11:30-13:30, 15:30-19:30+ and you should be fine, unless there is an accident or construction or a special event or bad weather. LA Metro triangle can encompass roughly Irvine (Orange Cty)-San Bernadino (San Bernadino Cty) - Ventura (Ventura Cty).

The good news is there is a lot to do and see once you navigate (in&out). There are campgrounds to stay at inside the triangle (once you determine your route, can give you details).

17. grantar2

grantar2 Member

That was a great list ChocoChock01. I just realize were missing a very important icon. We need the big thumbs up. Trophy would work in this case as well.

18. ChocoChock01

Re: West Coast Swim - Camping

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/camping.html
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/
    http://www.tripleblaze.com/campground-reviews.php
    http://freecampsites.net/usa/
    http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
    http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/California-campgrounds.htm
    https://www.recreation.gov/reservation.do?mode=current
    http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/socal_wanderer/guides/national-parks-forests-free-this-veterans-day-weekend.html
    https://www.google.com/search?q=free+camping&oq=free+camping&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8421j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
    https://www.google.com/search?q=free+camping&oq=free+camping&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8421j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=dispersed+camping&revid=1508307005
    http://publiclands.org/ Search; [color=rgb(255, 114, 0) !important]Free[/color] [/color][color=rgb(255, 114, 0) !important]Camping[/color] Boondocking Dispersed [/color][color=rgb(255, 114, 0) !important]Camping[/color] BLM
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=51954.msg407540#msg407540[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=59734.msg521303#msg521303[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Plenty of more information on the portal!!![/font]

19. ChocoChock01

AND there is BLM land around Joshua Tree (a must see when you are in the area) and make sure you get your Senior NPS Pass (if you qualify)!

20. cannibal

cannibal New Member

That's a lot of very useful information, I'm bookmarking this for future use. Thanks ChocoChock01!