West Virginia state park system

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by jmkay1, May 16, 2014.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Question for those in West Virginia. Just recently I tried to look in reserving a site at a West Virginia state park but found the few sites that are reservable were booked. The rest were walk in. I live three hours away from the nearest West Virginia state park so don't feel comfortable driving all the way praying there is a decent site. I have been to few campgrounds in pa and va that were booked solid to the point they have to turn people away. Do you find the state parks there are fairly open where you can always find a site? I also am always traveling with two dogs. Which complicates things greatly as not all sites allow dogs.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

it would help if I knew what SP you were looking at.. Holliday weekends are the worst. Most will be filled by the time the weekend gets here. With July being the worst. (miners vacation) Several parks only see light useage.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Thank you Joet. I was really looking in the Blackwater Falls state park and the other one within the area. From what I read that place can get fairly busy.

4. smithe67

smithe67 smithe67 & bdb15905

When we stayed at Blackwater falls state park last year we had to fill out a paper to get a site. We couldn't book anything online. You might call and be able to call and get a reservation.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

BWFSP, Cannan Valley, and Holly River are popular and they do fill up quickly on Fridays. Things slow down after the second week of July. Each park has a limited number of sites that are reservable and these are taken in Feb. The rest are walkins. I wouldn't hesitate going to either midweek.

There are other CG's in the area that see only light useage. Trout Pond, Spruce Knob and Seneca Shadows. along with the State Forests, and a couple of private.