western PA family

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by vagov, May 6, 2014.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i notice alot of campgrounds being visited in the eastern part of PA , just wondering how many portal members reside on the western side of the state and which campground does most people attend? so i will start, i live in western pa 10 miles south of pittsburgh and dont have a favorite cg, however usually camp at Shenango rec area in hermitage PA or Austin lake in wintersville OHio

2. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

Even though we live on the eastern side of PA we do head to the western part of the state to camp, Wendy (JeepMama) was born outside of Pittsburgh and still has family there. We really like Ohiopyle State Park, the waterfalls are great. We also like Prince Gallitzin State Park, it can get a little busy but it has a nice lake, really good ice cream in the camp store and is close to a Jeep/ATV playground at Rock Run Recreation Area. In a couple weeks we are trying Laural Hill State Park for the first time based partly on the reviews from Old_Geezer, so if we don't have a good time I'm blaming him. [:D]

3. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Beaver falls native here. Favorite campground shenango rec area for boating

4. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I'm just over the border in Northern WV, but usually camp at Tappen Lake in Ohio. My kids grew up camping there, and have many fond memories of Tappen Lake.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i usually ride my motorcycle around tappan lake, route 22 gets nice once it gets down to two lanes, never camped there however did drive trough campground somewhat but looked kind of tight alot of boat trailers

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Technically I live in virginia but my trailer lives in Gettysburg, pa. So people tease. That my summer home is in PA. So far I haves tried many places to camp in the middle/ west areas of PA. My favorite so far is prince gallatizen (spelling) state park. Lots and I mean lots of hiking trails. Huge lake for fishing/kayaking. Still keeping an eye out for other campgrounds in the western area so I will be following this posting.

7. kiteri

kiteri Just a Happy Girl!

My vote is also for Prince Gallitzin's Crooked Run Campground (and not because I only live 5 miles from there). Though it can be busy... I have kids who like to be busy so it works out nicely.

We like that there is a swim area INSIDE the campground dedicated to only campers, unlike a lot of the state parks where you have to walk long distances to the main beach area to swim. It can be quite a hike with your floaties, beach towels/chairs and a cooler of snacks at some other state parks, if you can even walk at all due to how far from the campgrounds are from some of the swimming beaches. There was even a summer that we had to share the campground beach with a turtle nest which my kids thought was pretty cool.

They do karaoke or dance dance revolution or a movie in the amphitheater every weekend night. They have an awesome group called the "Friend of Prince Gallitzin" that raised funds for brand new playground equipment last summer and sponsors weekend events like the Red, White and Blue weekend for the Fourth of July where a lot of the campsites will compete in a decoration contest and then the kids have a bike parade with all their bikes pimped out in leftover red white and blue streamers and decorations. AND the DCNR calendar has a bunch of other activities scheduled too. For this May they have Geocaching, Disc Golf, Orienteering and Searchin for Squatch.

The camp store is nice to order a pizza from when we roll in and then by the time the pop up is popped up and ready, so is the pizza. Jeepin Dad is right about the ice cream too, and the camp store is close to the campsites instead of out at the entrance gate like I have seen at other campgrounds, so I often feel comfortable with the kids walking or riding their bikes to the store to get snacks, milk, or bait for fishing. There is a small boat rental pavilion inside the campground too so you don’t have to drive out to the Marina to rent a paddle boat or a canoe.

I keep stressing all the awesomeness “inside” the campground, but there is a lot of fun stuff to do and see outside the campground as well. The park has lots of trails to hike and one of the trails leads to a big water tower on a hill that you can climb to the top of for amazing views/photos and to make the kids race each other to the top of which works WONDERS for getting them so tired they fall right asleep in the bunk end. There are a lot of nice lakeside nooks to picnic and/or fish. Rock Run is close for you Jeepers, there is a drive-in movie theater 10 miles away, and there is a place to rent horses and go on a trail ride (at least there has been in years past, hope it opens again this year).

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

HappyGirl , don't forget the kid who delivers your firewood. It is really large campground. I think it has the most sites of any PA SP. there are some sites along the water... some near the playground s and some away from all the action and very quiet. They also have a cool moto cross bike area.

The ice cream is beyond great!

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I did scout out p.g. Somewhat looking for possible rally areas. It was winter though and only half the park loops where drivable. Did pass the ice cream place also but that too was closed. [:!] is crooked run and the actual state park campground the same or different?

10. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

For Jeepin Dad and myself, we need at least a 3-day preferably a 4-day weekend to go camping in Western PA. Luckily Jeepin Dad gets ever other Friday off from work [:D] however it's getting harder to take the boys out of school. One boy is in advanced placement classes that move at a very fast pace. The other boy, well... let's just say he can't afford to miss any instruction, LOL.

We are thinking next year (summer break) we'd really like to do Blackwater Falls in West Virginia. Perhaps even combining it with a trip down to The Great Smokey Mountains National Park. After our trip to Shenandoah National Park last fall, we are making an effort to visit the NP's. This year we're committed to Acadia National Park in Maine - the reason we're missing vagov's rally.

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We are about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh and our favorite park is Keystone SP in Westmoreland County. Only go when we can get a waterfront site. Small park, but it has a beautiful lake and a small sandy beach and is about an hour from our home. We love to go to Laurel Hill, but haven't been there for a while. We have reservations for Clear Creek which is a favorite also. We travel to Nascar races and have been to Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond, Darlington, Atlanta and New Hampshire and have reservations for Charlotte this year.

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I used to camp im my early twenties at blackwater falls sp it was nice however havent been there since. I wouldnt mind returning again on the bucket list ! I thought i read somewhere of a possible rally. But then again i may be mistaken ! Just courious who camps around the western pa area., just courious basically , i been to a few private campgrounds in butler pa and also some tent camping in lake erie pa. When i take a quick trip i Am always asking myself " i wonder if any portal members are here?"

13. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I am a little less than 10 miles south of Pittsburgh! Me and DH almost exclusively camp at Allegheny National Forrest. We dry camp/boondock. Doesn't cost anything and we can take the dogs and not worry about them being tied up and knocking stuff over.

We have gone to Blackwater Falls but stayed in a cabin and it was amazing. We have also tent camped at a place in WV called Bear Haven. It is a very small rustic campground with vault toilets. But the seclusion is marvelous.

We are not Campground kind of campers. We prefer to rough it a bit more than most.

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Bandc12 10 miles south of pittsburgh. We are practically neibors i live in brentwood

15. kiteri

Yes, the Crooked Run Campground is just the name of the State Park's campground. They name their stuff. There is Pickerel Pond, Muskrat Beach etc. The winters are pretty rough on trees around here, so you were lucky that half the loops were drivable, where do you think they get all that firewood for the delivery boy! [LOL] Just kidding.

16. jsky1

jsky1 New Member

We live in ohio about an hour from the PA or WV lines. We like an Ohio State Park called Beavercreek. Its limited for hookups but we prefer dry camping. My kids love it!

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/beavercreek

17. kiteri

We rented one of the teepees at Beavercreek once, and ended up sleeping in the truck because there were really bad storms roll in that weekend. We have an awesome memory of a turtle running over my son's sandal clad foot making him SCREAM like a girl! I also liked getting the milled grains at the little gift shop next to the old mill there. Very good time!

18. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Bandc12 10 miles south of pittsburgh. We are practically neibors i live in brentwood

We are! We live in Castle Shannon!