Weston, WV-Broken Wheel Campground

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by carolinacampers, Sep 24, 2013.

1. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Broken Wheel Campground's motto "Enter as strangers, leave as friends" is quite appropriate. It is a small, family-run campground in North Central West Virginia just minutes from Interstate 79. It makes a convenient stop for an overnight stay for those passing through the area. We've met many people dropping by on their way to other destinations. We've also met a lot of regulars who camp there on weekend get-aways from Morgantown or western PA, as well.
    We are presently making BWC our home-away-from-home, staying in one of their monthly sites until we can secure housing in the area.
    In addition to monthly sites, the campground has primitive sites for tent camping as well as a large section with water and electric hook-ups for everything from pop-ups on up to the big rigs. The roads and campsites consist of a gravel base. Trees are plentiful, but some sites are shadier than others. The sites aren't as large as we're used to, but they can fit a good-sized unit plus two cars. The water quality isn't great, but being in the mountains and in an area rich with minerals and such, that is understood. We ended up attaching a water filter to our hose and that has helped. Sewer hook-ups aren't available but there is a dump station on the premises. Each site also has a trash can, a picnic table, and a fire ring.

The campground store has a TV area, pool tables, arcade games, and tables inside and out if you choose to use the WIFI available. It is well-stocked with supplies for fishing and camping, as well as some groceries and souvenirs. The grounds also have a nice playground, a pavilion, and a stream that runs through the campground. Catch-and-release fishing is allowed. One weekend a month there is a scheduled activity that may include a fishing tournament for the kids, karaoke, a pot-luck dinner, etc.
    There is also storage available on-site for RVs.
    Cell phone service is sporadic at the campground, but we discovered this is all over NCWV. Also, the rest rooms are not the cleanest. We found that many campers use the facilities within their units.
    Overall, we're enjoying our time at BWC!

2. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

3. carolinacampers

You are correct. My husband has to be on-call 24/7. We are finding that is almost impossible in WV. I travel I-68 back and forth to my family and I've found all along the route my cell service is sketchy, probably because of the mountains.
    Where do you camp, Black Water Falls? We are looking for feedback/recommendations on West Virginia or Western MD/PA camping spots.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

5. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I boondock in the Monongela National Forest. Blackwater falls is nice though. If you want an awesome trip, check out Ohiopyle State Park in western PA. Absolutely beautiful.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

WV has some wonderfull state parks and the mountains are wonderful. But the best parks are back in BFE. You need to go on road that have miles of 10, 12+ percent grades. The interstate highway system I think the max grade is 7%.

We have camped at these back in the mountain parks many times. With a trailer and a 12% grade you will burn up your brakes going down hills unless you use the gears. I have gone down some of those hills where the TV was gaining speed in all gears except 1st. A mile + of 1st gear will get you setting up in your seat. Going up some of the mountains in 1st and 2nd gear, I will many time pull off, to let the TV catch it's breath. I was pull over one time and a f250 with a small camper pulled in behind me. The driver told me it was the only way to drive up this mountain with a trailer is to take a break. He had burnt you his transmission on the section several years ago by trying to do it none stop.

But the wonders of the steep mountain of WV are worth it.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

right near WV line is Cove Campground in Gore, Va. It is a great place to stay and play [8D]

8. carolinacampers

joet, what do you mean "premium phone" what kind do you have? And, who is your service with?
    Everyone we spoke with in the area says USCellular has the best coverage. My husband's company cell is with USCellular, he has the newest Blackberry, and he STILL periodically loses coverage. It could even happen when he's just driving down I-79. And there are times when my 8-yr-old Verizon flip phone gets better service than his Blackberry. But there are also times when I can go a couple days without getting a signal. *so confused*
    This makes it hard when you depend on a cell phone for communication. I have elderly parents and they say they call me and I don't answer. Then, three days later I get their voice mail??? :( I guess when we leave the campground we'll be getting a land line. I haven't had a land line for 6 years!
    Do any of you think there could be interference in signals due to the cybercrime center?

9. carolinacampers

nomorecoop, we'd like to try Ohiopyle. My sister-in-law and her husband camp there and like it. It's on our list, but probably not until the spring. Do they have water and electric hookups? Thanks!

10. tenttrailer

We like black water falls

11. carolinacampers

tenttrailer, I actually grew up in western MD-Garrett County. Blackwater Falls was a day-trip stomping ground. Never camped there though. I actually don't even remember where the campground is! It's been many moons since I was there last.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have a Iridum 9505A. If you want coverage, this is the only way to go.

13. tenttrailer

It's off of rt 32 on rt 29.

The other area we like is the Seneca forest area there are a few small forest camp grounds. It's a hard drive for us. But the Seneca Rock's view and hiking and views of the rocks and the climber. I could look at for hours.

14. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

The service in WV is getting better...since AT&T started putting up new towers. It will be sporadic. We used to own a little cabin just south of Green Bank...but, that was before cell phones took off. You should get decent coverage along the interstates...at least I do now. Also, old style flip phones and phones with external antennas are best for coverage.

Man, wish I was moving there! I am jealous.

15. Hanne

Hanne New Member

What does BFE mean? Oh, nevermind...I think DH just explained it to me [;)]
    We fell in love with West VA after our first trip 2 years ago. Blackwater Falls park is lovely, but the campground was way too crowded for our taste.
    We prefer boondocking or dry camping in the Monongahela.
    This year we'll be staying at Kumbrabow SP while checking out some land, then working our way north to Laurel Hill SP in PA.
    I don't mind missing some cell phone calls, but I did mind losing the GPS! Always have a back up atlas or some topo maps!

16. tenttrailer

I like not having the cell phone. You get disconnected and relax more.

17. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Sorry for the delay in responding...been [CP]

Electric only sites at Ohiopyle. Water is spread out through the camp, but no hookups. Typical OH/PA State park setup.

18. carolinacampers

Thanks nomorecoop. I've never camped in PA so I don't know what "typical" means, lol!

Hanne, I forgot about losing the GPS signals. We've spent hours driving in circles because we had no clue where we were and couldn't get a signal!

Tenttrailer, as far as cell phones, when I'm camping I could care less if I have a signal. But that's not what I'm referring to. We are "living" there with little and usually no cell phone service-a totally different story. My parents are elderly and in poor health so I need to be available/reached should something happen. And, my husband is on-call for his job. This makes it difficult should he be needed and they can't reach him due to no cell signals.

I am adding Seneca Forest and Kumbrabow to my bucket list for next summer. Thanks y'all!

19. runewolf

runewolf New Member

Wow Carolina, welcome to the state! I live about 20 minutes from Broken Wheel, but have never stopped there. I keep hoping that with the resort over at Stonewall, we'd get better service soon. I guess it will take AT&T execs to have a meeting there and realize they have no service before that will happen.

What are you looking for in WV? Most people here are leaving to find jobs unless you are working for an oil or gas company!

20. carolinacampers

runewolf, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I was born in western PA and lived in Meadville, Pittsburgh, Uniontown, and even Garrett County Maryland. When I graduated college and left for South Carolina 31 years ago I never looked back or wanted to come back. Believe me, if it were my choice we'd still be in SC. My husband is from Little Washington, PA. Who knows why, but unfortunately we're thinking corporate greed hit as my husband lost his job only for the company to replace him with an unexperienced, single, young female in his place. We relocated to WV last June when he found another position here. He is working for a gas company, btw.
    We lived at Broken Wheel from June until November. We are now renting nearby. You're 20 minutes away? Where exactly are you located? I'm guessing probably Buckhannon-nice town!