Wet Canvas Inside (all over) Looking for help

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Bobby Keller, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Bobby Keller

Bobby Keller New Member

I am a new owner of a 2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD. Physically in good shape. I have had it for about 3-4 weeks. I have removed a ton of mold / mildew inside the trailer including the inside of the bunks, side walls, (inside) roof areas as well with mildew remover (mainly Mold Armor products). I removed the old caulk from the roof, replace it with Geocell Proflex and then put Eternabond tape over those seams.

It never rained while I was working on it so I could not really test the canvas and vinyl. Well, its raining now and all of the side walls (and top of the bunks in some areas) are wet to the touch. I can take a paper towel over it and it soaks up the water.

Looking at the outside, the roof and side walls appear to be in perfect condition. I know that the previous (original) owner did not maintain anything in the trailer. I am pretty sure it sat open for an extended period of time. I think this had the seams dry our or something is causing the water intrusion on the bunk ends. I have purchased some 303 fabric treatment and I did treat one single flap on a bunk end. I followed the instructions and that flap is also wet like the others as if it was never treated (but the water could be coming from the seam on top of the flap).

I am looking for suggestions on how to address this. I read a previous post where sealing the seams in a good place to start. Several products were mentioned (available on Amazon) including Shoe Goo repair adhesive and some Tear Aid products.

Any assistance is appreciated. I do like this trailer. I did not pay a lot for it and have put a lot of work into it thus far from new tires to replacing all of the fresh water and drain hoses. All of the appliances work perfectly including the AC, fridge and the furnace.

Thanks!

2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

First thing to find out is if it's leaking or condensation. If you're finding this after you wake up in the morning after sleeping all night, and temps are cool and humid, then it's likely condensation.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When your home spray it with a hose to see where its leaking, but if it is , get some seam sealer and then use the 303 on all the tenting. Thenspray with the hose again to see of it worked.

4. Bobby Keller

Bobby Keller New Member

Ok, sorry guys. I forgot to indicate that I was not sleeping in it during the "leaks". I have it setup in my driveway so I could see if it was leaking before my first trip so it can't be condensation (I wish it was that easy).

What is the best seam sealer? I have the 303 and I will use that as well.

tfischer likes this.
  5. J. S. Hunsicker

J. S. Hunsicker New Member

I have tried most of the recommended seam sealers but, after failure of each one, I ended up with vinyl glue. An old timer let me on to the fix. It's a small container with a brush applicator, similar to what is used to adjoin pvc piping but without the color. What we ultimately have done is screwed in some J shaped brackets to the area behind the bunkends upper wall. The trailer's running lights are also in this area. This is also where the vinyl tent end connects at the top. These J brackets fit through our tarp grommets and secure the tarp under the roof line. The tarp then lays over to cover the tent ends. We bunji cord the bottoms of the tarps to the trailer which is done to secure it better. We have tested this method with rain and wind and are just so happy to have dry bunk ends now. Our side walls of canvas and vinyl have never leaked luckily.