WFCO 8725 question “need help”

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by scanaego, Sep 7, 2019.

1. scanaego

scanaego New Member

2002 Coleman Sante Fe
    WFCO 8725

So my 8725 appears to sorta works intermittently.
    Should I always have 13.1 volts coming out dc at the battery?
    I have unhooked battery and often have .02 volts coming out or some super low reading like that. If I take the battery out but am plugged into shore power should I not still have interior lights and furnace fan?
    It also does not seem to charge my battery when it is below 50% unless I unplug from shore power and wait 5 or 10 minutes then re plug in. But it then goes into bulk mode 14.something volts but usually stops after a short while and I seem to be back to just battery power with my voltage readings in the low 12volt area. As I write this it has been working for 2 straight hours with my voltage reading 13v even. I notice this as my lights were often dimming and then it seemed to get worse.
    I am new to the pop up or any pop up and new to the site and I sure could use some help!
    Thank You

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Th 8725 has a three stage battery charger. It will output 14.6 bulk, 13.7, and then 13.2 float(I believe). If you don't have the battery plugged in, it puts out 13.7 to the 12V circuits all the time for sure on shore power. My suggestion is to unplug the battery and plug into shore and trouble shoot the converter with a multimeter. Check each fuse to ground - they should be at 13.7V. If that is good, then the issue with the 12V circuits is downstream from the converter. Your doing the right thing with the battery and charging, but the bulk will drop down once the converter senses that the amps delivered to the battery have dropped or bulk charge time exceeded. IT is possible that you have a bad ground, so you may want to check that. It is a pretty simple device, the 120V comes in and feeds the AC side and one breaker from the AC feeds the DC transformer on the converter. You can go online and look at the manual and troubleshooting guide

3. scanaego

scanaego New Member

I do not get the 13.7 all the time. It has been intermittent. When I unhooked the battery yesterday I had no lights or heater fan. I unplugged for a bit from shore power and plugged back in and bam lights and heater fan for about 20 minutes. A faulty ground may be the issue. What are the main places to look for this? I found two grounds on the rear of the frame and cleaned them up real good already. This unit seemed to work a month ago when I got it but has progressively gotten worse. I will try unhooking battery again and check fuses when the lights go out again tomorrow. But wouldn’t the fuses clearly not have power if the lights and heater fan are not working without battery. Right now my battery voltage is reading 12.9 on my charge controller which is a good battery charge I think but should I not be getting over 13volts (13.2)?
    Sry I’m a rookie

4. scanaego

scanaego New Member

Ok so did check for power at fuses on the DC side After plugging into shore power. The lights and heater fan worked for about ten minutes so I clearly had power. After the lights and heater quit I checked fuses on DC side and no power. I’m quite sure this unit is pooched and have ordered a new one.