What’s a good price?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Let’s camp, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

I’m looking at a 2006 Starcraft Centennial M-3606. It has a stove and oven, dinette slide-out, microwave, radio/speakers, double sink, fridge, toilet/shower combo. I’ve only seen pictures, but told it’s in as great a condition as it looks. I’m just curious what a good price is for this used camper? Thanks!

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Two years ago we got our 2005 3606 for $5,000. I am not sure how much that would drop.

3. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

So, $2800 would be a great deal?

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

It really depends on 1.Where you are. 2.The time of year. 3.What you're willing to pay.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

It’s more than I was originally looking to pay. Of course it’s at the end of season; but still in season. Most I am finding with less options are just as expensive or the cheaper ones have something wrong with them or don’t look as nice. So, I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth me spending about a $1000 over what I wanted for more options/space or waiting until the season is over and hoping to find a deal and hope I don’t regret passing it up. The one thing I kind of wanted that it doesn’t have is a couch...but is that a need? I don’t know. I don’t want to regret buying or not buying it

6. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I think that would be a very good price if it is solid and no leaks or rot. Here in Illinois i see people asking 4500 to 5500. Look on facebook market place and see what they are going for in your area.i just looked them up.

Minimalist likes this.
  7. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

Thank you. I’m just nervous. It has more options than I was looking for, but really like the push out dinette and that extra space- wanted a couch, but will I miss not having one? It’s just about $1000 more than I want to spend, but not finding much I like in my range or if I do I feel it’s worth the extra for what this one offers. It’s just me and my kids that will be going.

Senft78 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Oh ,if you have the slide out it will give you lots of room. My couch just collects stuff. So you cant sit on it anyways. Is it a highwall, it has an oven? Ill have to look it up.

9. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I had the couch in my Rockwood pup before i bought the TT. I liked it myself for just hanging out on in the early morning when everyone was asleep. But we didn't use the dinette because it was in the way of the bunk. With the slide out you will be able to hang out there. I would have traded the couch for the slide all day.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

we like our couch in ours we also have a dinette slide out. So we just take turns where we kick back when we are inside. But that does seem like a awfully good deal. Lots of nice amenities for the price as long as the condition is as advertised.

11. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I wouldn't wait to long to decide, around here PUPS go very fast. I sold mine in 6 hours. I had at least 10 people who wanted to come look at it and sold it to the first person.

12. Aladin Sane

If it is on craigslist at that price, I would suspect a scam. If you do get to go see it, make sure you crawl underneath and inspect the entire bottom for soft spots.

13. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

It’s actually at a dealership.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

IN my area campers that were junk were going for the $2000 budget I initially started with. As I was searching I realized if I wanted something camp ready I really would have to put the extra down. I ended up taking a small personal loan for $1500 to go with the $2000 I already had. Still took a lot of research and disappointment before I finally found something. So just wanted to point out that sometimes you may have to stretch beyond your budget if you find the right camper for you. As stressed look that camper top to underneath, in and out, lots of ways for people to hide problems in pictures. I had A dealer selling a camper as is, so I expected some problems but the pictures looked fantastic. I drive four hours to see it. I discovered they angled the camera just right to hide the problems and must have used photo shop for all the others. It was junk and so not worth the $3500 they asked. Talk about a waste of time. The right camper will come around, but you may have to be patient. It took me a good year of activity searching And a ton of gas to see junk. Learned in my search to not believe pictures or the sellers and only believe what my eyes tell me. Pretty sad.

15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Beware of all the extra costs the dealer will tack on. Stuff like a $2000 "inspection fee."

16. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

Yes. This camper is 2 hours away, so a 4 hour round trip. Otherwise, I’d have already checked it out. I hope this guy is honest. I reached out with questions through e-mail about specific concerns. If he answers with no problems, then I will go see it this weekend, but if I don’t hear back, I can only assume it’s misrepresented.

17. jmkay1

. Wish you the best, I ended up taking a day off work to see a few campers as I was afraid it would be sold right from under me. Had that happen a few times.. Drove two hours and get there and the camper I wanted to see was sold just a second before I showed up. Sadly it’s whoever has the cash out first gets first dibs. My camper I saw online at 10:00 pm. Absolutely great deal. Reached out to the dealer and low and behold he responded. Left a message with my boss I had to take a personal day and drove down at mornings light. Arrived the second the dealer opened. After checking it out thoroughly I bought the camper right then. Sadly I wasn’t able to bring her home that day as I still needed to get the SUV ready. They agreed to store her until the weekend when I could drive down to pick her up. I was driving home with my new camper on Christmas Eve.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Aladin Sane

Then I expect it has a major problem.

19. jmkay1

. It would be still a good idea to look it over just in case they priced it to just get it off their lot especially if they are getting new inventory. However it is VERY possible there is damage they are not advertising which is very common as well. Particularly lift problems. Easy to hide that in pictures.

20. Senft78

Senft78 New Member

Hey I'm in illinois also looking for a popup. I'll buy it and then I'll resell it to you for 4500 next spring. Lolz