What’s the best pop up camper made from 2000 - 2010?

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I think GalsofEscape nailed it with their answer.

My HW27KS would not be at the top of the list, as far as best for build quality, and I would rank my previous Fleetwood Westlake way above it. However, it scores top marks for floorplan, amenities and just sheer delightfulness!
I really wanted the HW27KS - high wall with an exterior kitchen really got my interest. I was never able to find one in either decent shape or within my admittedly low budget. In the end I moved away from the exterior kitchen and just went with setting up my kitchen how I want it based on the site. More work, but the cooking experience is better I think, and I saved a ton of money.

DM27

Aug 1, 2018
We have a fleetwood Arcadia. A 2008.

Basically the Niagara high wall but with a couch/bunk where the Niagara has a microwave counter. I think it’s a hair better of a design because I don’t even use the microwave we have at home (yes, my wife laughs at how I have no idea how long to put anything in for)

Is it the best? Maybe. But not if you are towing with something smaller. The rock wood high walls are nice but I like the dual king beds the fleetwoods have.

But I do love this camper. Sleeps a small army if needed and has more amenities than people expect in a popup. It does also have a much too small grey, black, and fresh tank which is a hassle when staying anywhere longer than 2 days.
We have an Arcadia as well, and I prefer it to the Niagra for the same reason--we camp without hookups, so the microwave just takes up space. But it has just about everything else you could possibly want, though it is heavy. After a blowout, I upgraded to 8 ply tires (65psi) instead of the 6 ply OEM-equivalent tires. Our 3/4 ton Yukon XL has no problems towing it through the Cascades.

TSS

Jan 17, 2022
NW Georgia
I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara and I absolutely love it - I feel like I did a lot of homework beforehand and really came to the conclusion that this really is the best camper out there. When you factor in things like cost, quality of parts, accessibility to parts, size, layout, amenities, tow weight etc etc - I feel like this is THE ONE! I want to see what everybody else thinks - is there a better camper out there?! Thanks! Best to all!!

- Waldo
StarCraft. We had a StarCraft. Pulled out was over 24ft. Traveled 3000 mile trip from Crystal Lake Il to B’ham to Orlando to Atl for Olympic soccer. Amazing trip. Now have Rkwd 1640. Too small. Miss the StarCraft.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
I really wanted the HW27KS - high wall with an exterior kitchen really got my interest. I was never able to find one in either decent shape or within my admittedly low budget. In the end I moved away from the exterior kitchen and just went with setting up my kitchen how I want it based on the site. More work, but the cooking experience is better I think, and I saved a ton of money.
To start with I wasn't too fussed about having an outdoor kitchen, as it wasn't on my priority list. I choose the HW27KS over the HW27SC due to being able to access the fridge with the roof down. I'm mostly a weekender so can't wait half a day at the campground for the fridge to get cold. So I need to be able to cool it at home, fill it with food & drinks before I leave, so it's ready to go when I arrive. I also didn't like the location of the stove on the HW27SC.
I have come to absolutely love the pull out outdoor kitchen, having water on tap right there is super convenient, I still set up my outdoor kitchen & camp stove next to it tho.

I got lucky when I purchase mine, just before covid hit I bought my 2 year old HW for $9000 out the door (after I traded in my 13 year old Westlake)

Panamabrian56

Apr 27, 2022
For many years I had a 2004 Utah and really enjoyed it. I no longer have the trailer but I have the "Add a Room" that came with it new. The Add a Room has never been used. I am trying to give it away as I want it to be used rather than me just sending it to the land fill. It is for a 12 trailer. If you are interested in it, send me a PM and you can have it.
I have a 2001 Utah. Where are you located?

Coulter Wood

Sep 27, 2018
For many years I had a 2004 Utah and really enjoyed it. I no longer have the trailer but I have the "Add a Room" that came with it new. The Add a Room has never been used. I am trying to give it away as I want it to be used rather than me just sending it to the land fill. It is for a 12 trailer. If you are interested in it, send me a PM and you can have it.

Y'all - this very kind man packaged up his Add A Room and shipped it to me yesterday. I can't tell you how excited we are to have it. Just wanted to give a shout out to awsandlin - really thoughtful and generous. Thank you so much!

JandKfromVA

Jun 3, 2022
Virginia USA
I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara and I absolutely love it - I feel like I did a lot of homework beforehand and really came to the conclusion that this really is the best camper out there. When you factor in things like cost, quality of parts, accessibility to parts, size, layout, amenities, tow weight etc etc - I feel like this is THE ONE! I want to see what everybody else thinks - is there a better camper out there?! Thanks! Best to all!!

- Waldo
We are new to camping and have the same camper as you. We bought it from a friend who upgraded to a TT and never opened the pop up after he bought it. For not knowing anything about campers I feel like we got a good deal on a solid camper. It’s just my husband and I so there is ample room for storage and moving around. The walled bathroom is a nice feature and we use it on all our trips. Ours was closed up for a long time so we had to do some system repairs/replacements but parts and are easy to find. The original owner had kept all the manuals so we lucked out with that. We are slowly getting our dogs comfortable with it but when we take them camping in the future there is enough room not to feel cramped and they even have their own bed.

Latest posts