What about Pop Up Insurance?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by CampAndPaddle, May 11, 2015.

1. CampAndPaddle

CampAndPaddle New Member

Hi all,

My wife and I just bought our first Pop Up and were wondering if we should get insurance on it. Is it common to get insurance on it, or is it covered under the Tow Vehicle? What about when it's set up? We want to not only be covered during transit, but also if a tree falls on it when we are camping... theft... vandalism.... bear attack.......... whatever........ Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Simon.

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Depends. Our first pup we paid $2400 for and didn't insure it. There was no loan. The 2nd we paid $6300 for and felt it would be too big a loss to absorb if something happened so we insured it. It costs $100 a year to insure which we think is cheap, but a couple more years and the value may be low enough we drop it.

3. Unkle Spike

Unkle Spike New Member

My popup costs me $97 per year, that is cheap for peace of mind. Check with your agent to see what coverage you have when hooked to your vehicle, and unhooked at the Campground or Stored at your house.

There is also liability, if your camper were to burn up in a parking lot and take a couple of cars with it.

Again cheap peace of mind.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The liability coverage of the tow vehicle extends to the trailer while towing. Beyond that you need separate coverage.

What if someone takes a short cut through your site and trips over your grill? Are you covered?

I highly recommend covering your property with insurance. The few dollars it costs is well worth the piece of mind knowing the insurance company has your back if something bad happens.

5. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Didn't have insurance the first couple of years. TV covered transport but not while set up.
    Saw in the news where a major storm went through a camp ground and destroyed several campers with high winds and trees falling on them. After reading and seeing the pictures of that, called and got coverage. At less than $10 bucks a month, I figured it's worth it.

6. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Well worth the money, I have full coverage on mine here in NB Canada and it only cost me $94 per year. If I did not have the coverage then my trailer is not covered for anything besides any damage I might cause to someone else's vehicle if I were to cut a corner to close. The TV insurance would cover the other vehicle but would not cover the repair bill on my unit.

7. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Get it, You won't regret it...

8. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

If you're restoring a vintage pup, you can set the value of the pup that it is to be insured for. I've had to do this with mine. With the new canvas, cushions and accessories I've purchased there's no way the run of the mill policies would cover it.

9. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Our pup is insured as a rider/addition to our tv but I think I will check about separate coverage

10. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

For us liability is covered under the TV while towing and under homeowners while set up or in storage. Comprehensive is extra - for us about $130 for the year. That is for full replacement value on a brand new PUP.

Like others have said, cheap peace of mind.

11. UtahCamperGuy

UtahCamperGuy New Member

I pay $20 every six months added to my car insurance for full coverage on my camper

12. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

If you can't afford it you can't afford to camp. Seriously.

We pay I think 11 per month. Ours even covers mouse damage. Talk to your agent to verify coverage. Most leaks will not be covered. The words "sudden and direct" are generally used. (Wife used to used to do auto claims).

We only paid 1500 for our camper. You bet it's insured. If it gets totaled then minus my deductible I can replace it. Worth every penny in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

Many different answers-obviously it varies by insurance company. Comprehensive (loss) coverage for our unit (book value ~$4000) is so cheap it is a no brainer. Keep in mind it is easy to damage a PUP beyond repair.

14. tinybluetj

tinybluetj New Member

I just added RV insurance for mu 2016 Jayco PUP to my Home and Auto for $12 a year. For that cheap, why not?

15. WingShot

WingShot New Member

A few variables to consider, and each situation will be unique. For us, the camper's replacement value is well over $10K and if something were to happen we would be not be able to afford that. Comprehensive coverage through USAA was less then $7/month, at that price it was a no brainer!

16. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

We pay $11 a month for full coverage. Resale on Evolution's in Colorado is, well, silly so my camper is well worth more than the truck that tows it. As many have stated, it doesn't take much to total a pop-up...

17. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We had to put insurance on as per our loan. It is very reasonable. Around $10/month. I am not sure about mouse or bear coverage. I have heard others say the mice got in and chewed their canvas up bad and were not covered... not sure about bear invasions.... check with your insurance agent.
    But well worth it if you were to have it totalled in an accident, etc. [PU]

18. tjmama

tjmama Member

We have insurance on ours even with its age and no loan. I would rather be covered than risk something happening. Its $18 a year. [2C]

19. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

So what insurance companies are offering these great rates?

20. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

It's their fault for trespassing!