What age did you start camping with your kids?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kdannyk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kdannyk

kdannyk Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious to know how old some your kids were when you first took them camping? MY DW and I purchase a camper last year and enjoyed every moment camping. This year will be a bit different. My DW is pregnant with our first Child who will be born some time in May. We were thinking about taking him out when he's 3 months but not sure if that's a early.

2. Austin694

Austin694 Member

With our kids I think they were both about 1 year to 18 months. The only thing I would be worried about with a three month old is the nights and feedings.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not my child but my niece, we took camping when she was a year old. She slept on the folded down dinnette or with her grandparents. The dinnette was closer to the floor and in the TT my parents own it was closed in on three sides. She slept threw the night (sort of) at that time. She now loves to glamp (she got spoiled by her grandparents). I have been slowly trying to get her to appreciate mother nature and after 11 years she actually asked me to take her to my kind of camping. Dry camping with no fancy things to play on except what God gave us. [A]

4. Segchris

Segchris Member

My oldest started camping round 11 months and my youngest was about 10 weeks old. If you enjoy camping, go. We camped all last summer with my little one who will turn 1 in April. She loved it and we never once had anyone complain about a baby crying in the night. We find that many who camp are families and have been there, I'll complain about a radio or yelling drunks at 1am, I'll never complain about someones baby crying.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We were tent campers , so that does make a difference. We didn't camp until our youngest sons were about 5. We had more money back then and we stayed in a condo in the mountains for our vacations. It is up to you. I think that camping with a 3 month old is not worth the hassle. You should think of what is best for the child first. The baby wont even know that he/she is camping and would be happier at home or in a condo.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

First off -- Congratulations!

Our son was born in April and our first trip was in June in tents. We had him on the boat at 2 weeks. It was easier when he was 6-7 weeks than when he was 2 years old... You just have to do things differently. Trips to the beach go from being there all day to an hour or so then back to camp. Everything you can do around the living room can be done around a fire. The only consideration I would suggest is to camp closer to civilization in case you need to get a forgotten necessity or medical attention.

The thought never crossed my mind that he was too young. We've always camped and were prepared. As long as the temps aren't extreme either way the baby only knows I'm being held or I'm in my bed.

Lilbit275 likes this.
  7. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Why would tent camping make a difference? My son's first camping trip, he was only a few weeks old. We were tenters at the time. We just brought a portable crib and had it in the tent with us. (Granted, we had a tent we could stand up in and we had sufficient floor space). And as we had not switched him to a bottle yet, was easy to feed him in the middle of the night. We did not have an issue at all.
    Go with whatever feels right for you.

8. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

We took our first one out when he was 9 months. Would have taken him out earlier but had only just bought the camper a week before. Second one is due end of June and as soon as the wife thinks she is ready to go camping we will probably head out. We probably won't head up to higher elevation and probably camp closer to a town, but I suspect we will make it out a few times later this summer.

One thing we will be brining along is a lot of extra pillows for late night feedings as it is a little tight for rockers in the camper.

As far as the kids comfort is concerned, they really only care about the boob at that age. Keep them out of the sun, warm at night, do something to keep mosquitoes at bay and most importantly, keep momma happy.

Babies are easy, once they start crawling it gets more challenging to keep them occupied.

9. ute_fan

ute_fan New Member

Took my daughter in a tent the first time when she was about 6 months. Then we bought a PUP and camped a lot from the time she (our youngest) was about 2 until they got too old to want to go with us. We went through a series of the PUP and 3 regular trailers during that time. We eventually sold our last trailer when they wouldn't go with us any longer (she was about 18). Fast forward 10 years, and both kids are married with a baby boy. Took this same daughter and her little guy out when he was 4 months old -- in a NTU PUP and used it for that year. The next spring we bought a Hybrid, and we've now taken both the grandsons (both aged 2) out and are hoping to again this summer.

In some ways a younger baby is easier than a toddler as they don't need as much room to be happy. On the other hand, if you have one that isn't a good sleeper, it can be miserable if they cry all night. It's hard to judge for sure until the baby gets here and you can tell what kind of temperament he/she has. My daughter's first little guy slept through the night a 2 months, and did fine at 4 months. Her second is almost 5 months and still not sleeping through the night -- and I think our first trip with them will be in a motel where we can put them in a different room :)

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Just be mindful of your neighbors and the baby crying. I have 2 kids, they did not went camping until pre-teens but it was more due to our living style.

11. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We started camping when our youngest could walk, about 1 1/2 years old. I didn't want to have to carry her all day while camping. The boys were 6 an 7 at that time.

12. Bombers

Bombers New Member

My oldest daughter was 2 months old for her 1st camping trip. Spent most weekends camping that summer.

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I think my son was 3, not long after he had Open Heart Surgery, tent camping. He also has Down Syndrome so he is delayed in area's. We camped maybe 10 or so nights in the tent before the pup, now over 100 nights in the pup in 28 months!!

Always over pack, and always double up blankets/sheets for quick accident clean-up!!

14. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Our daughter was 5 months old the first time we took her camping. In fact, it was the first time my wife and I had gone camping together. We had a really large tent at the time and our daughter did great! It is actually much easier to go camping before they are mobile in any way because you can just park them in a pack and play while you setup and break down camp.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We camped with a 3 month old and a small dog in a backpacking tent. The baby slept in a basket. The dog attempted to sleep in the sleeping bag. Other than DH doing more of the cooking, the trip wasn't much different than usual. We did take extra clothing for everyone and some extra towels.

16. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I reread the question, I was 28... hahaha [:D]

17. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Our son was 6 months old on his first camping trip. It was in mid September, a little cool so I carried him in a front pack baby carrier zipped inside my jacket for our walks on the beach. Family camping created many fond memories for all of us over the years.

18. lvmycag

lvmycag Member

2 weeks my son was born Aug 17 and we were camping Labor Day weekend.

19. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

[:D] [;)] Haybale [;)] [:D]

Our boys were 11 months and almost 3 when they first went camping, which was in a state park cabin in October. The next summer we had acquired a tent and that was our camping style for the next couple of years. At age 4 and 6 we got our popup. The boys outgrew the popup(ours was very small!) and we moved to a TT bunkhouse. At 9 and 11, they are seasoned campers and both are enjoying learning new skills thru Boy Scouts of America ;) [{:)]

20. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

Our kiddo is 2 yrs old and he is going on his first trip this march. We would have definitely gone earlier, but we tent camped before this year and thought the elements would be too harsh. The pup would have been great to have and as long as you pack accordingly, you should be fine.