What age did you start camping with your kids?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kdannyk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

My son learned to crawl in a tent at 6 months. He was the firstborn. The girls both camped as infants. We got all wet from a huge rainstorm with the youngest, and my wife declared we have to get off the ground if we are going to continue camping, hence us purchasing our first popup, and my discovery of this great website and community!

Inuit mothers give birth in igloos on sealskins and bearskins, and nurse their babies until the sun comes back out. There is no age limit on camping with a baby! You can do this!

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Well, we started camping before our kids were born - just to get them used to the idea. :) In any case, they were very young when we camped with them. Part of it is knowing your child. If you have a screamer, that could put a damper on the neighbors experience, but if they do OK, then you can start them as soon as you are ready and all will be well. Lots and lots of hikes for us with the baby in the carrier, they usually fall right asleep in there. You adjust to them just like you would at home. When they get a little older, sometimes it makes sense for them to sleep or nap in the pack n play, but those pack up pretty nice for travel.

3. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

my oldest started walking on his own at a myrtle beach campground. On one hand, a big event. On the other, we had to keep up with him.

4. Zombieitch

Zombieitch Member

Camping is in the DW's and my blood - we even got married at our family campground. Our sun was more than likely conceived in our tent and we plan to take him camping shortly after he is born. Camping doesn't have an age limit! Having running hot and cold water a shower and refrigerator should make the trip vastly more enjoyable.

5. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Great topic!

My daughter started camping in a tent at 3 months in the Adirondacks (we set up a porta-crib in the tent). She was car camping in Joshua Tree National Park at 1.5 yrs. When she was 3 she did her first true backcountry wilderness trip which was a 70-mile canoe trip down the Allagash River in northern Maine.

I love seeing parents take their kids outside. The joy of camping is something that needs to be preserved and the best way in my opinion is to get the next generation excited about it. Have your kids make their own hiking sticks and bring them home to proudly display. Buy or make a kid size paddle and teach them to wood burn their camping/canoe trips into the blade. Lots of cool ideas out there to keep them interested in the outdoors.

Another thing we can do is encourage those families out there with really young ones who are doing the extra work it takes to camp with their kids so their whole family can experience a weekend in the outdoors. Sometimes just a smile and nod will make a huge difference to them.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Poor mothers in India raise newborns in landfills.

7. gruss

gruss Active Member

1, 6 and 8....enjoy it while they're little. They love it. Then teenagers happen!

8. She2dancer

She2dancer New Member

Our kids all went camping their first summer (so 6mo, 3mo, 10m and 7mo)...they all did great! This is our first year with a pop-up so we tent camped with them. We bought a camp rocking chair from Bass Pro and brought our blow up gym ball for some rocking and bouncing to sleep. Other necessary accessories for us was a baby carrier and for the very littles a place to put them down (we brought a pack n play with us).

9. TheRappyCamp

TheRappyCamp New Member

My oldest was 1 when we first went, but we were tent camping then. If we had the pup, I would've gone sooner. We have plenty of friends that have made it work with babies. Do what works for you, if you feel comfortable, giving a shot. I'd suggest camping nearby the first time to see how it goes and give yourself some flexibility.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I think (long time ago) as soon as it was safe to travel with them. Probably 4-6 months..They still love camping and the outdoors..

11. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

Both kids started young... our oldest was born in October so she was 5 months old on her first trip to Arches NP ... her younger sister was born in March so she was 3 months old and her sister 2.5 when we went to Great Sand Dunes NP

12. Astro

Astro New Member

9 months old, for our son this past week. He did pretty well, but it was basically like home, taking care of a baby but instead in a pup. You just have to adjust your goals for what you want to accomplish camping. We used to hike more when out, but not with our baby yet. He's a bit heavy to carry, so that's why. Time to get a jogging stroller!

13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Oldest was 6 months and we camped out of our van! We got eaten alive by mosquitos!! [:!].

14. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

I forgot to add that a pac-n-play fits perfectly in our pup either in the center isle or where the dinette goes... it also works well under the awning at campsites

15. dougfam

dougfam Member

We went tent camping a few times when our son was around 6 months old. We bought a pup a few years later when our daughter was 2.

16. kassiemom

kassiemom New Member

my daughter was born in June and we took her the following May long weekend. We are new Pup owners so we have only done tent camping with her. I was not well after having her but if i was we probably would have taken her that summer she was born. esp with a PUP
    i would suggest somewhere close to home just incase you need to make an escape for home :)

17. karley020

karley020 Member

My little guy just turned 1. I thought it would be too hard to take him last year, so we did not go. Now I am looking into buying a pup and going this summer...and I am MORE scared! He is so NON STOP busy. He started walking at 10.5 months and has not stopped getting into trouble since ;) Babies are so much easier when they stay where you put them! I say go for it. Just make sure you have enough places to lay little one down and to keep them cool - might not be able to regulate their body heat yet by 3 months, so just make sure they do not overheat in the sun. And if you are active, baby wearing is a great way to keep the baby close and your hands free- - but again, in the summer heat they can warm up pretty fast against your body. Either co-sleep or bring a pack and play for night times. I plan on co-sleeping with our little guy between my DH and myself this summer just to ease any fear of a new place for him. Easier to comfort them back to sleep when you don't have to get out from under the covers too.

18. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

My daughter was camping at 5 weeks old lol.

Hubby uses the double bed and Tori and I get the queen bed together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mtnbkndude

mtnbkndude Member

We started tent camping when our boys were 4 months and 2.5 years old. We bought our camper last summer. Boys were 5 and 7 years old. They love it! A camper would have been much easier than a 4 person dome tent.

20. Mimito12!

Mimito12! New Member

We started late with our kids, when we discovered camping. they were 14,12,6, 4 and 2. The oldest (DD) did not like tent camping, and still to this day doesn't. The others love it and most of our children camp at this time. When our youngest was born, she was about 10-11 months old. We tent camped until she was about 12, and was the only one left at home. We bought our first PUP and had that until 3 years ago. Gave that to our DS and his wife and children and bought our first Hybrid. Just traded that one in and are waiting for our new one to come in.