What age did you start camping with your kids?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kdannyk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

By the time the kids were old enough to go, I was 39.
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Hello, my name is DaSchnoz, and I will be your resident wise ass this evening.

How old were our kids when we first took them camping? Our oldest was 6 and the twins were 3 (soon to be 4 - their birthday is at the end of June).

Oh, the (fkd up) beauty of the English language. Now I understand why they teach English in school every year (K-12).
    [:D]

2. kyar326

kyar326 New Member

Both of my boys were 1 on their first camping trip. But we did not start going camping regularly till last spring, so they were 1 and 5. I'm due with our 3rd son in August, but I don't think we'll attempt a camping trip with him till next Spring.

3. SquishySaurus

SquishySaurus New Member

I was 32, boys were 5 and 8 ;) That was last year in a tent! We'll see how it goes this year now that we're all a year wiser ;)

4. smsallen727

smsallen727 New Member

Our son (now 1 yr old) starting camping at 1 1/2 months old. But it was just in the backyard of a family member house to get him used to camping. Our first real camping trip was 2 months later. He was good and quiet. But he was also a good quiet baby.

5. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

While stationed in Gaeta, Italy we tent camped at an army base near Pizza when my son was 3 and daught was 7. I can't remember the name of the army base or camp ground, it has been a few years :) Anyway, it was one of the best campgrounds we ever stayed at.

6. chelle0576

chelle0576 New Member

My youngest was born May 17, 2011 and we had him camping in June 16,2011 even though originally my DH wanted to sell our pop-up after we found out I was expecting. Shade tent/awening for outside with a nice chair with arms for mom (or dad) to nurse (or feed) in and a good baby carrier (Ergo was my choice, with an infant insert) were all we needed besides diapers and wipes for that first trip. :) Later on I found small baby bath tub like the Tummy Tub could be filled in the showers and brought to the camper for bath time, and the pack n play fit perfectly where the table would go in our dinette. A portable swing and a Bumbo type seat was also helpful when he got a little older, both could be used to feed him when he started solids at 6 mo.

7. chrisaveryman

chrisaveryman New Member

My boy is 2 months old this week about to go out on our first camping trip this weekend, have a powered site and will be running the electric heater I'm sure if its cool at night.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My youngest was born during a week long camping trip. He was born on the second day of our trip. I switched to a powered site after he was born.

9. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

Youngest was 5 months old and 3 months out of an open heart surgery. Yes, the Dr was fine with it. It got down to 40* at night. We always camp mid May for our first camping trip of the year. So we knew to pack warm. Now, this is in a tent, not a pop up. That is the youngest though. I am sure we would have done younger, but camping season was never when they were younger.

10. blueeyedwitch09

blueeyedwitch09 New Member

My older sons are now 19 and 17, I started tent camping with them when they were 2 and 4. I have a 4 year old now and we started camping with him a the age 2 as well.

11. Mimito12!

Mimito12! New Member

My daughter brought her 3 month daughter with her along with her 3 year old. We brought a pack and play and set it up in the front of our hybrid. it was not any trouble and she slept most of the night. We are planning to camp over the fourth and the little one will be with us again.

12. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Both of our kids went camping at around 6 months of age. There seems to be something magical about camping that brings on teething!

Our son was pretty good, other than the teething... out daughter was (and still is) not a good sleeper. She is 3 now, and we just took her on her second camping trip. Everything went well this time. No more pack-n-play!

Just remember that pups don't block sound. I felt bad for people camped near us when the kids cried through the night. I would do it again, though... overall it was a good experience.

Here's a pic of my son on his first camping trip, and then in the same swing last year!

Attached Files:

13. funlovinfamily

funlovinfamily New Member

I have 4 kids and with each of them we started camping at a few months old. I actually think it's harder when they're mobile than at an early age

14. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Our oldest started camping at 3yo. Our middle child started about 9 mos old, because we did a lot of camping with Girl Scouts with the oldest. He was an honorary GS. [8D] The youngest was about a year and a half when she started camping. We didn't get our pup until the youngest was 9, so our camping was always tent camping.
    We brought the pack and play to help corral them, with a skeeter cover to protect them during naps.
    This week we saw a group that had put down a tarp and and multiple playpen panels to make a giant play area for babies and toddlers. The kids appeared to enjoy it a lot.

15. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

1998, my boys were age 5 and 6.

Mike

16. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[PU] [TV] Took my youngest son at 6 weeks of age. Took a microwave so we could plug up the noise for the 4 am feeding.etc. Did not have a camper then stayed with inlaws in their tent up at lake erie....Kept micro in back of van with the cooler and had to plug it in every use asthe camp did not allow electric devices.

17. funky187

funky187 New Member

My wife and I went camping a couple of weeks ago with our son who was born on leap day. He was not quite 4 months. I think he enjoyed it, just having his Dad and Mom with him for 4 days straight all day everyday! That said, he slept like a champ the first night we got back home.

18. JustinD

JustinD New Member

my son was about 18 months the first time and my daughter was much younger...we tent camped until March of 2015 when we bought our popup.

They loved tent camping, and they love having the popup even more! They both sleep much better (6 and 9 years old now however).

Gearing up for a 10 day trip starting this Saturday morning to the North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Grand Staircase & hopefully we get into Antelope Canyon.

19. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

3 months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Actually -9 months, pretty sure our first child was conceived in our pop up

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk