What am I missing here?.....

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Mark Fidler, May 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM.

1. Mark Fidler

Mark Fidler New Member

Please see the attached photos. The 2 white wires are hot when I hook up 12v DC and I am sure they go to the 2 12V lights which do not work. My question is, how do I get them up to the closest light to power it up? I used a jump wire to verify that the lights worked which they did. These 2 wires come out of the cabinet under the sink but I don't see any other wire to connect to. Also, what is this headphone jack looking receptacle that is on both 12v ceiling lights?
    Thanks in advance,
    pop up pic 2.jpeg pop up pic 1.jpeg pop up pic 1.jpeg pop up pic 1.jpeg pop up pic 1.jpeg

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Strange, most white wires are grounds in 12vdc circuits. How are you measuring the voltage? From each wire to ground or between each other? Do you have a light safety switch in that area? Some campers have a wire that runs up a roof post to power the lights. Jacks are for small 12v fans or other 12v accessories.

3. Mark Fidler

Mark Fidler New Member

I installed a battery and grounded one wire and the other wire lit up a 12 volt test light. I am trying to locate the wire that it hooks to as I am confident that will get power to the overhead lights? Not sure about the light safety switch. Thanks!

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Based on the first pic I'd say those wires are for the water pump and should be connected to a toggle switch located on the front of the galley.

You should back off on your pics a bit to provide a little more context. It would help to know the make year and model of your pup.

5. CentralMtnsExploring

CentralMtnsExploring New Member

Hard to say what those wires are for, I agree with SteveP more context would sure help.

The 'jack' in your ceiling lights is to plug in additional lights which may or may not have come with your camper. If there's a 3/4" dowel type bracket on the ceiling (possibly over the sink), that's a bracket for an additional light that couldn't be left installed when the camper is folded down.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mark, how did you hook up the battety? What other 12 v stuff do you have? Does any of it work? Have you checked the fuses? The saftey switch and the wire assembly that goes to the roof? Hard to be confident in something if you dont know what it is. Some campers have a saftey switch that would be under the flip up galley, some on the bed ends. This is so the overhead lights do not come on and burn up the camper when its closed up. I would start at that switch first. See if it has power. But first thing is first, how did you hook up the battery?

7. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

The wires for my 12 Volt lights run up through the canvas flat as shown in the photo. They then go up into the top and over to the lights. But if you don't have wires set up this way you can easily add them. You don't need to put them inside of the top. There is a plastic sticky-back wire conduit that you can buy to put them in and run them on the outside of the top. That's how they installed my A/C unit. Only the factory used metal conduit instead of the plastic kind. Your choice.
    20210504_140815[1].jpg 20210504_140842[1].jpg 20210504_140808[1].jpg 20210504_140815[1].jpg 20210504_140842[1].jpg 20210504_140808[1].jpg

Attached Files:

8. Grandpa Don

I agree about the phone jacks. I have the same lights with the same jacks. But there was only one jack in the front light. I installed a second jack in the rear light. I had my camper for two years before I figured out what that jack was for.

Mark Fidler likes this.
  9. Mark Fidler

Mark Fidler New Member

Hi All,
    Thanks for everyone's consideration. Apparently there WAS a switch that was missing. See attached photos. I connected the 2 wires under the sink and the lights lit up. I then added a single throw switch that I had on hand. Problem solved but I'm sure I will have other questions as I put the pop up back in service.
    Many thanks again.
    Mark

Attached Files:

• 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  10. LilRed

LilRed Active Member

Guessing by your picture that those white wires are under the flip up sink? Are they meant for the kill switch??

Mark Fidler likes this.
  11. Grandpa Don

I can't imagine why anyone would remove that safety switch in the first place.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it broke, it would be prudent to replace it. There are a few instances here where people have burned canvas from there lights. Also, replace the lights with leds. They dont burn as hot.

13. Mark Fidler

Mark Fidler New Member

I don't have a clue as to why someone would remove it either. I replaced it with a switch I had on hand.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

That's some people's mentality. They put very little thought into repairing, just get by. Rather spend money on beer and cigs, rather than a safety feature. Just stick the wires together, when needed and all is good.

Mark Fidler likes this.