What are people using to put up a new ceiling? REPAIRS Post #11

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ClintO, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ClintO

ClintO Member

4/1/19 Edit: See post #11 for repair update

I cut out the soft spots to open everything up so I can dry it out. Everywhere that the ceiling was not soft and the luan was still bonded to the styrofoam, I cannot get it apart to be able to replace one giant sheet on each end. I really don't want to tear down the styrofoam as it seems to be in good condition and also don't want to destroy it trying to take down the areas that are still bonded.

I went to Lowe's and home Depot yesterday and couldn't find any plywood that was thin enough to match the existing thickness.
    The only thing that I found at Lowe's that match the thickness is this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_15483-SS1254825-46498_4294937087?productId=3014304

I also thought about patching it in with that link above and then going over two sections with a solid piece of http://www.lowes.com/pd_518477-518477-53547_4294937087?productId=50121135 so I don't risk seeing any seams through the wallpaper but I'm wondering if it'll be too much weight pulling on the ceiling. Everything seems fairly light but I don't know what the ceiling can hold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and cut more of the ceiling away. At minimum, cut back to the roof brace in the picture. Otherwise,when trying to piece in new sections of ceiling, it's going to look like crap. I had a very similar situation as you. I cut back to the roof brace, and replaced used 2 sections of luan with a seem in the center. I glued and screwed to the wood roof structure. And used a piece of trim to cover the center seem. Then I painted everything white. Sorry the picture is not the best. 20180427_171518.jpg

3. ClintO

ClintO Member

In the front section I tried to remove all of the wood, but where it is still glued to the styrofoam it doesn't want to come away from it. I'm afraid to tear chunks out of that styrofoam trying to pull the Luan off of it.

In the front section of the camper I don't want to get too close to that rail that holds the door when you put the door up to put the camper down

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. Matt Benoit

The foam is not structural. If some breaks off you can replace it...it it's basically 1in pink foam board from home depot glued on both sides. Considering the water damage and what looks like mold in your pictures, I would remove it anyway. Think of it this way, you only want to do this work once right? Here is a picture of what mine looked like after I removed the damaged section.

Screenshot_20180427-171344_Gallery.jpg

ClintO likes this.
  5. ClintO

ClintO Member

I was going to put a thin coat a kilz over that styrofoam. and if I look at yours, you have a lot more wood supports running through your roof than I do

6. Matt Benoit

With less internal wood support, you'll have to get creative and definitely use more construction adhesive. You may even need to create some support structure below the patch until the glue sets up, to keep the panel from sagging.

7. ClintO

ClintO Member

When I put up the panels I'm going to make braces to hold them up while the glue dries.

I was out there poking around a little bit ago and I just can't figure out how I'm going to get that ceiling separated where it's still glued. I do not want to remove that styrofoam, I'm just going to paint it good with a thick coat of kilz

8. Pozi

Pozi Member

You could use some sort of blade between the wood and the insulation to separate the two. If you end up removing more insulation than anticipated, it's easily replaceable with new sections.

Also, I could be wrong but I'm not sure applying a water proofing paint to the insulation is advised as it will seal the water in. Much like the flooring, it needs air to breathe so no paint.

ClintO likes this.
  9. ClintO

ClintO Member

My wife is having bad anxiety about removing the existing styrofoam. If the styrofoam seems stiff and not saggy I wonder how compromised it may not be that I can just let it there rather than replace the styrofoam also

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Of you paint the styrofoam use latex paint, no oil or rattle cans. It could melt it. Some glues will melt it also.

ClintO likes this.
  11. ClintO

ClintO Member

Update on my Repairs
    1. Used dehumidifiers to dry everything out

2. Painted over the exposed styrofoam with Zinsser White Mold Killing Primer

3. Glued up 1/8 hardboard to replaced the rotted Luan I removed, as I could not find another board type that matched the thickness
      Hardboard: https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Smooth-Brown-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/3014304
      Glue: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-16-7-fl-oz-Bonding-Multipurpose-Adhesive/1000222231
      Roller: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-Extendable-Floor-Roller-10-955/100012074

4. Chaulked all my seams around the repairs

5. Covered the whole sections in vinyl wallpaper
      Wallpaper: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Norwall-Trowel-Texture-Paintable-Wallpaper-48903/303172070
      Glue: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roman-PRO-543-1-qt-Universal-Wallpaper-Adhesive-209902/202535475

Left to do:
    - Paint the whole inside ceiling

- Go around the inside perimeter with chaulk or trim to cover the gap between the curtain frame and roof

- Scrub the outside roof good and look for any issues

- Take off the roof rails and either use EternaBond tape to go over where the rails were or use a RV roof sealant and seal the whole roof. Will not be putting the roof rails back on.

- Checked AC gasket

Attached Files:

Kitrina and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

13. ClintO

ClintO Member

14. wimarine

wimarine add me to FB

this will be one of my projects!!

15. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

Great post! The pictures and the links are spot on. Great job and very helpful post! enjoy the pop-up.

ClintO likes this.
  16. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Thank you for posting details and pictures of your repair. It gives me hope that I may not have to take off the whole roof to repair a similar issue in my '07 Niagara. Any idea what kind of Sealant you will be using on the roof?

17. ClintO

ClintO Member

Hi Katrina,
    I definitely did not want to take the roof off either. If I would have recognized the damage when we first went to look at the popup I wouldn't even have bought it .
    But because we had already bought it and had it home, there was no turning back . My wi

The damage on the inside wasn't everywhere, so to me it didn't make sense to remove the roof and tear it all out just for a few spots in the ceiling. If your damage has went into the sideboards that form the outer inner shell ( the wood the curtain channels and stuff is screw into) then you may need to remove the roof to replace those. Three of my four side boards feel solid, one is 50/50 but I'll letting it be for now and see how this camping season goes .

Kitrina likes this.
  18. ClintO

ClintO Member

For the outside of the roof, I am removing and discarding those roof rails, covering the seams under them with
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJPLTO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

And then painting the roof with:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJJX9I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The directions mention a Dicor Primer, I called Dicor and they advised you only need to use a primer if you are going over any rust or bear/shiny medal. In my case I am good on that front.

Kitrina likes this.
  19. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Yeah that's kind of where we are at. Just bought the 07 niagara; it's our first camper. The ceiling looks bubbled in places (this being our first camper purchase, I thought maybe we could just seal the exterior and leave the bubbling ceiling) but the more research I do, I'm learning that it needs to be addressed. I believe our surface is Filon...which is fiberglass; the product description says that the dicor could be used for fiberglass so I may look into getting some of that. I wonder how it compares to rustoleum elastomeric paint?

20. ClintO

ClintO Member

Kitrina likes this.