What are people using to put up a new ceiling? REPAIRS Post #11

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ClintO, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

I am about halfway into the same project on my 2008 Niagara. I was able to find 1/16" plywood that was an exact match for the installed Luan.
    20190428_181310-1.jpg 20190428_181332-1.jpg

I will be picking up the vinyl to finish it up this week.
    I am a huge believer in grizzly grip for coverage and longevity.

Good camping!

2. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Is grizzly grip the adhesive for the Luan? Or the sealer for the roof?

3. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

Roof sealer. It is actually a truck bed liner product but the manufacturer claims almost 60% of their business is popup roofs.
    Not cheap but easy to apply and lasts for years.
    I used Loctite Power Grab to glue the Luan to the foam

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. nessa2

nessa2 New Member

I am so glad I found this thread. It gives me hope that I will be able to fix my ceiling without having to take the roof off. My only problem is that I have no canvas right now and have to do all my work outside. This is what I am looking at having to fix, as well as a seam that is wet on the inside with no obvious damage. Praying that the supports aren't moldy or rotting!

Attached Files:

5. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

Are you the person with the 2003 Bayside? If so I believe you have the ABS roof.
    The picture you provided indicates a fair amount of Luan damage based on all of the wrinkled vinyl which normally occurs when the Luan gets wet, warps and starts to disintegrate.
    Have you found the leak? do you have any cracks in the ABS? Or do you think it is the air conditioner?

6. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

You say there is a seam, is it like the one in the photo below? If so that is the seam that runs down the middle of the roof where the two pieces of insulation meet. That seam provides a perfect path for the water to run through the ceiling and spread. I went around the areas of the ceiling that were bubbled, wrinkled, or were soft and used a pencil to draw around the edges to see what the size/area of the damage was. I then used a box cutter with a new blade and cut around the edges and then worked my way outward until I found good wood, then I patched the holes
    Just my 2 cents. 20190428_181408-1.jpg 20190428_181451-1.jpg

Attached Files: