What are some tips tricks for storing my camper for the winter with no garage?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Synapticus, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Synapticus

Synapticus New Member

This is my first camper. I could use some advice on storing for the winter. I just purchased the camper it's already winterized. I purposely made the question very general because I need advice on all aspects of storage.
    Thanks
    Tony

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Do you have the manual, and if so, are there specifications for storing? e.g. tarp vs cover, or other things. If it has been winterized, did you double-check that or can you rely on the person's word that it was correctly done?
    Where will you be storing it? On a driveway? Gravel, concrete or grass/dirt?

Here's a section to peruse:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=57.0

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Not sure what your options are. Climate controlled indoor storage on a hard surface would be best. Maybe move the couch a little to the left and park it in the living room? My cousin did that with his Harley every winter. Worked well for him :) Non-cc indoor on a hard surface (concrete or asphalt) would be next best. If it's going to be outdoors, I would again recommend parking it on a hard surface - concrete, asphalt, or gravel. Try to avoid parking on dirt. The moisture from the dirt can cause the underside to rust. I would recommend that you cover it. A carport type structure would be best. If you use a cover, make sure that either the cover can breath or that there's an air space between the cover and the roof.

I would put pet-proof mouse poison under it or get a bunch of barn cats.

4. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

If it's outside, what's the ground going to be like in spring? Blocks under the tires may help. We tarp ours. I'm thinking about running a ridgepole the length of it to make the tarp more tentlike this year.

Shelter is very enticing to all kinds of critters. Try to make your camper not worth their while. Empty any paper goods that mice could shred and throw in a few ant traps. We also put in some dryer sheets (probably ineffective, but in this case being superstitious doesn't hurt anything). Seal all openings and use ant spray on everything that touches the ground.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure where your storing the camper, if in the grass or dirt expect lots of mud come spring. The farm field my camper is stored at, the trailers slowly sink into the mud if not on blocks of something. Store your trailer on an angle, to encourage runoff. If you have thick heavy snow, it may be wise to clear the roof off. First and foremost ensure your roof does not leak before storage or you will be left with a huge mess and problem come spring. Verify caulking is still good, make sure the vent (if any) has no cracks etc. Read the manual before covering.

6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

This is my first winter with our PUP. I researched this topic ad neaseum on this site. In the end, I decided to park it in our driveway with the stabilizers down and tire covers (for UV protection) over the wheels. No cover/tarp necessary from what I can tell. I'll brush off the top whenever I'm out snowblowing.

7. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I have stored mine just like rjhammetter since we bought he new in in '07.

Top gets dirty but nothing a stiff brush and car wash wont remove (I do that spring and fall). If you can't store on a hard surface out side at least put it on pavers and keep it at a slight angle to aid in run off.

8. Synapticus

Synapticus New Member

Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it!

9. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

I cover the camper with a 12 x 15 light tarp. Some air still circulates. Provides sun and snow protection.

Works great. [:D]

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I backed mine into the side yard, put it up on Lynx, tilted the nose high to encourage runoff to the back and let 'er sit.

Been doing that for 4 years.

If the ground isn't firm enough to pull out, the CGs aren't open around here, so it's a self correcting problem for me.

11. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

I cover my Aliner with a silver heavy duty tarp from Harbor freight. Jack up the frame slightly to rotate the tires off the ground. Once a month open it up on a sunny day to air it out, open all windows, and look for any discoloration such as mildew or mold. Lubricate all hinges with WD-40. I take a light cloth with bleach and just wipe the ceiling and walls very quickly. That's about it.

12. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Tony.
    This will be our 5th winter storing our A-frame camper. I noticed that most of the replies you have received are from people with fold out pop-ups which do not have the bubble windows in the roof. If you put a tarp over your camper you need to protect the polycarbonate skylight from being scratched by that tarp when the wind blows. I have been told that tarps are not necessary. If you must store outside in the down position, raise one end to prevent standing water and brush off snow. Putting bug traps and/or deterrent inside is also a good idea.

While our owners manual goes into great detail about winterizing, I have not found any recommendations on winter storage there. The advice we received from A-frame owners was that the preferred outdoor winter storage position was with the roof up unless they were concerned about severe winds. The veterans would fold their campers down for the storm and raise them after. The campers shed water well and stay ventilated when up.

We have always stored ours in our driveway (behind the house) in the open position with no problems. It is easy to check every now and then. We can keep it plugged in there so the battery doesn't lose its charge.

13. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Cover 8.JPG Cover 10.JPG Cover 11.JPG Here is how I made a cover support to keep the rain from ponding on Cover 8.JPG Cover 10.JPG Cover 11.JPG Cover 10.JPG Cover 11.JPG the flat roof panels. Hope this helps. Unfortunately it is now too large to post here so you will need to see it at the yahoo group site in the files for the group called "A-FrameTeam"at:

https://xa.yimg.com/df/A-FrameTeam/...zoHxwQMPQ1YftFDj_-oQYaoJquEsopg&type=download

I also posted other tricks on that website I put together for A-Frame owners. see: https://xa.yimg.com/df/A-FrameTeam

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

They are supposed to be weather proof. I do not cover mine, it is parked in the driveway on a hard surface. So far have had no damage due to it being outside in the weather.

15. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We park our pup in our yard (next to the driveway on 2 large rubber mats). We covered it the 1st couple of years with a small tarp (just big enough to cover the roof). This winter our pup will have a cover that is made for campers. I stumbled upon an add on craigslist (the seller lived in my neighborhood) and picked it up for $50. He just wanted it gone since they had recently gotten a TT. I also make sure it is angled so water drains off the roof and I will brush off any substantial amount of snow, which happens more often than not here in CNY [LOL]. Good luck!

16. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I've spoken with CNW the manufacturer of Aliner. I called to verify since they know what's best for their product. Aframes are VERY DIFFERENT than regular canvas PopUp's. Plus, CNW have always been very helpful.

1. CNW said to keep the Aliner in a down closed position. Keep the front side (tongue side) higher than the back side to allow water to run off down the backside. We have a large black rubber seal on the roof where the two halves meet. Water will enter if the backside is higher than the front. And by keeping in a closed position, you're also trying to keep critters and bugs out too. Plus, it's better for the bungees and roof springs.

2. No tarp covers. Tarp will rub scratches onto the polycarbonate aka bubble windows and will scratch the fiberglass side walls. And removing scratches from the polycarbonate windows is a real PAIN. Aliner windows requires annual maintenance using a polycarbonate polisher aka Novus 7100 polishing kit. It's in the owner's manual. Plus I verified with CNW for their recommendation.

I recently installed a Carolina Carport aka metal carport earlier this summer. It's well worth it. My Aliner is protected from the sun, rain, snow and hail. Brian Hovander's roof peak is a great idea. And I've seen a DIY short wooden carport that was built for protection against snow. In addition to the Carolina Carport, I use a ADCO Tyvek cover. CNW said that would be fine. I suggest before buying an ADCO cover, to contact ADCO for specific recommendations on what ADCO cover works best for your climate. We also use tire covers when she's resting between camping trips. Jack stands when she's resting for more than a month to keep the tires from developing flat spots. And lastly, I hot glued window screen on the inside of my refrigerator vent panels to prevent bug intrusions. There was large openings for bugs to crawl inside. The window screen has worked well since.

Be sure to do your seasonal maintenance. GoingNowhereFast has lots of videos on YouTube regarding winter, spring, and general maintenance. He's very knowledgeable about Aliners and has been very helpful.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

17. Carlsbad

Carlsbad Member

I put two moving blankets over the bubble windows and pool noodles at the corners and sharp points and cover with a tyvek RV cover. It's designed to breathe. It works great.

DiamondGirl likes this.