What are these for?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by lisah, Sep 7, 2015.

1. lisah

lisah New Member

Bought a NTU 1998 Jayco Eagle Series 10 2 weeks ago, was told it needed a coat of kool-seal and after getting it home we set it up in the backyard to clean and soon discovered it needed a little more than A coat of kool-seal...the whole back of the roof is rotted as well as the center support, after researching this portal we knew at this point it would be a total rebuild, no patching this roof! We removed the roof and DH has slowly removed the ceiling, trim and rotted wood, my question is:

There was 2 metal plates on the foam insulation and not sure what they are for and should we put them back? see pic...

Attached Files:

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

On my coleman, when we repaired the roof we also found metal sheeting inside the roof in places.

Our roof was a sandwich with aluminum on the outside, white bead foam, metal sheeting in spots, and 1/8 plywood/paneling on the inside.

I would guess that these meal sheets are meant to provide "grip" for screws attaching something to the roof. The screws won't hold in the foam or the thin paneling.

3. ragoetz

ragoetz New Member

If it is the same as my Starcraft Stardust, it is screw attachment for the fold up door latches. There was also one on mine foe a celing mounted handle/hanger.

4. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

while doing the roof rebuild on my 83 viking I also had 2 large heavy pieces of metal (4" x 18") sandwiched between the foam and the paneling ceiling. I also don't know what they were for...both were placed about centered over the axle on both sides of the roof.... shrug...... counter weighting for tongue weight? only thing i could come up with, nothing was mounted to them or around them.

5. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

after doing some searching and reading it looks like the metal strips that were put into the roofs of almost all campers were done so to help with sagging. Most PUP roofs do not have much for cross support bracing so they used the metal to stiffen up the center areas.....