What are you thoughts on patching a gap in the corner of the bunk canvas

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by triskal, Sep 14, 2020 at 6:45 PM.

1. triskal

triskal New Member

We have a 2003 R-Vision Bantam Trail-Lite that I am doing some work on before out first trip with it in two weeks. We had a ton of rain and found a leak in the front bunk - fortunately the only leak!

It is where the bunk canvas meets the frame in the upper corner. The canvas does not appear torn or have a hole. honestly it looks like it has been like that since new or at least a very long time. It is a bit tucked under the overhand of the bunk opening so it isn't as if there is a steady flow of water coming in, but in heavy rains some of it works its way in and gets the corner of the mattress wet.

Below are some pics from inside and out as well as the other side for reference. Given that they used some kind of flexible sealant from the factory I was hoping I could get by with doing the same now. I would put in some temporary backing on the inside so it wouldn't ooze in and then fill it from the outside. I was thinking of using either some ProFlex RV Sealant or some Flex Shot Rubber Sealant. I can't find any examples of anyone doing this kind of patching online so I thought ya'll might be able to help.

IMG_20200914_165757.jpg IMG_20200914_165851.jpg IMG_20200914_165923.jpg IMG_20200914_165933.jpg

2. rsdata

rsdata Member

I recently bought some of this stuff at the local ACE hardware store... it dries clear, flexible and soaks into the fabric. If there is an actual hole, then use another piece of fabric, but if the canvas is just weak at this point, I would just put this stuff on, spread it around with a finger or stick and let it dry. We are talking cotton canvas? not vinyl canvas? loctite sealent.jpg

3. triskal

triskal New Member

It is the vinyl coated canvas. And unfortunately that 1 oz tube is nowhere near going to be enough.

4. rsdata

rsdata Member

It was impossible to tell the type of "canvas" you referred to and showed in the picture... but now that I know it is vinyl, that glue will work if you also use a small patch, fabric or otherwise, cut to size and just glue the edge of the patch. I personally love to use Gorilla tape whenever I can, as it lasts and lasts. A small square with rounded edges, one on each side (inside and out) with the glue on the tape meeting at the hole, and then use that small bit of glue to bond the edge of the patch on the outside and the inside edge of the tape to the vinyl. After all it is vinyl/fabric glue. I personally would not use Pro Flex to fill that hole.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

5. triskal

triskal New Member

Ahhh, I gotcha now. That makes sense. I was thinking of the Pro Flex because it looks like from the factory they used some kind of flexible sealant. But I might just give you suggestion a try. Thanks!

rsdata likes this.