What are you towing with?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by amberckaufman, Apr 14, 2017.

1. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X2 with Theseus
    I pulled with an odyssey that was right at its max, with a WDH. I did not enjoy it. When the WDH broke during a trip home, it was dangerous.

2. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Pulling a 2001 Viking 1706 with a 2010 Toyota Tundra. As mentioned above the Tacoma is a great choice as well but they are a bit tight with 4 people in them. Not sure what your family size is.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The dry weight of the camper does not include any amenities, including the awning, AC, propane etc. So to say the camper weighs more than you expect. That is why it is best to use to GVWR of the camper when determining what you should tow with.
    My camper has a GVWR of #3600 but in full camping mode weighs just about #3000+ pounds. I tow with a v6 Toyota 4 Runner with a tow limit of #5000. I have no problems with my setup. I trust my setup and know that I am able to stop it if gosh forbid my camper brakes fail or be able control it if something else seriously goes wrong.

4. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I tow our Bayside with an '03 Tahoe with 265000 miles on it.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TV's are on both ends of the spectrum. One has a 2.2 liter engine. I never pull more than 3k lbs with it. The other has a 7.5 liter engine. I currently pull 6k with it.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Trailer, fully loaded is 3200 lbs.
    Tongue weight is usually over 525 lbs. (Bike hauler deck with two deep cycle batts, two propane tanks, water, gas and other misc stuff runs the tongue weight up.)
    And I tow it with a 2016 GMC CC with a max tow of 10,700 lbs (that's the rating but not sure I would ever want to try it[:P]), and a max weight carrying hitch weight of 800 lbs.
    One thing people do forget is the max load of the tow vehicle, and that can easily be obtained or exceeded with a heavy tongue weight, camping gear, family, and large dogs.

7. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Many combinations work fine on flatlands, but, if you are going to cross mountains,
    everything becomes more demanding. The powertrain, cooling system, suspension, and braking
    system are all forced to work harder.

8. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

You didn't mention just what your budget is, either. I see many people making great recommendations for 2010 and newer vehicles that could easily be $10-20k. Too rich for my blood! I don't want to be saddled with more payments, so from here out......we're cash only. My wife and I have a VERY comfortable income but we've decided that we'd rather keep our 1999 Durango and get a new ski boat rather than upgrade the family car. It has plenty of room with 3-row seating, plenty of power with the small V8 and 3.92 gear ratio, has pulled a loaded flatbed full of ATVs and dirtbikes up to 9k ft, and will knock down 18-20mpg unloaded. I haven't actually tried to pull my new Pup (toy-hauler off-road model) with it yet as its waiting for warmer weather for me to do some minor repairs and upgrades. I also have an older 3/4T Chevy, but that's not really a family vehicle.

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

To the OP, it would really help if you would give us the year and model of your camper. Depending upon some more info, you might be just fine towing with a minivan with a 3.5K lb towing capacity. You can get late model minivans for relatively cheap and they are great family vehicles for when you are not towing.

10. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Pulled our Starcraft (~2500 lbs fully loaded) with both '97 Jeep TJ and '03 Xterra. Xterra was rated for 5,000lbs, it had no problem pulled the popup - barely knew the popup was there. Currently have a Ram 1500 to pull our 7,000 lbs TT.

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm towing with a 2002 Ford F350 with a 7.3L diesel. My tow rating is "whatever" for all intents and purposes. If I get up around 500 lbs on the tongue, then I have to use a weight distribution hitch. So, for me, if its on an RV lot, I can pull it.

justwork likes this.
  12. justwork

justwork Active Member

This is my dream truck. Actually any year goes with the 7.3L

duckman1988 likes this.
  13. JAlbers

JAlbers New Member

Like several have said, what PUP you have and were you plan on going, will change what you need. Our Rockwood 2317 weights between 3000-3500 lbs when loaded, plus the coolers and fire wood in the TV. Our TV is a 2005 Tacoma crew cab, with the factory tow package and added brake controller. We don't have any problems and I would definitely recommend the Tacoma.

14. Jughed

Jughed Member

The biggest question is your budget... how much do you want to spend?

I tow with a gas powered 2500 Ram Mega cab. 2WD, one level of options above "work truck" - picked it up used with 60k @ 4 years old for 17k. Less than most minivan's/SUV's of the same year/mileage...

Weight is no concern - it's no diesel, but its rated for 11k + or 17k CGVW. So the capacity is there if/when you decide to upgrade to a TT.

17mpg towing while loaded with gear for a 3 week trip, 5 people & a dog.

And I would rather have a pick up VS SUV... and don't like towing with small SUV's or minivan's. We also have a Pilot- I don't like the way it tows.

15. 1114vontagen

1114vontagen New Member

My '59 Ranchero does a great job pulling my '67 Western Field Tent trailer.

crackerJack likes this.
  16. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

We towed our old Flagstaff with a Dodge Caravan, didn't do mountains or really long trips but the car towed quite well. Now we will be using my Chevy 1500, sold the minivan and Flagstaff and now have a KZ Sportsman 30' TT. [:D][:D]:eek:

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We towed our first, sub 800#, pup with a '96 Outback and our '05 4Runner. The 4Runner has a 5000# tow limit. We towed our ~2500# pup with it and it did very well. We had a Thule roof top carrier to handle extra cargo, since neither pup had much space when folded down. (We added the roof top carrier in ground tent camping days.)

We have towed our 3500# TT with the 4Runner, but with the greater surface area (over what a pup has) it does not have quite enough margin under some conditions - winds, long uphill climbs. We ended up changing to a '15 Chevy Colorado with 7000# tow limit. [I know not everyone can make as drastic a change, that '96 Outback needed to be replaced last year, so the 4Runner was demoted to mostly around town, and we bought the truck as main TV and my daily driver. I used the 4Runner to tow on a trip a couple of weeks ago, it turned 184K on that trip.]

The 4Runner has been a great TV for us, even with the stretch to tow the TT. In spite of the fact that we usually used a cargo box on top, they do have quite a bit of space inside. Friend tow with an '08, but that's the most recent 4Runner that I've driven.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I tow mine (3500# GVWR) with 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with tow package. I can go 20 mpg while towing on flat level road. Went up Grapevine Mtns with no problems. Be sure to have brake controller.

I bought an old Explorer for $3000.00 - 122k miles on it. It was donated for Kars4kids when the tranny went bad. Look for V6 engine with tow package... takes time and patience to find one.

19. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Snow....great post. Lots of things should be considered before anyone can make an intelligent decision. The OP was looking at a vehicle for 18K. If that is the budget the choices are many but to your point after you drill down on the needs it will make the decision a lot clearer

20. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

^^^X2^^^