What are your camping plans this year?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by robertswife, May 1, 2012.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

My plans are to go as often as I can. I have had 5 or so 3 day weekend trips so far this year. Just got my PUP in May 2012 and plan on going often as possible. I usually go by myself cause the DH does not like to camp. I am not afraid of the cold, so i will probably be going into late summer early fall. maybe even later................ LOVE TO CAMP :)

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

updating our plans for the year:

nights camped so far:
    Jan 27-29 - 2 nights at Redtop Mtn State Park, Cartersville GA
    Feb 17-19 - 2 nights at Chattahoochie Bend State Park, Whitesburg GA
    Mar 23 - 25 - 2 nights at Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rutledge GA
    Apr 10 - 15 - 5 Nights Cosby Campground, Cosby TN, Great Smokey Mtns National Park
    Apr 27 - 29 - 2 nights Cloudland Canyon Campground, Rising Fawn GA, National Cornbread Festival, South Pittsburgh TN
    May 15 - over night trip to McKinney Campground
    May 25 - 28 - 3 nights, Memorial Day Weekend, Upper Stamp Creek COE Campground, Cartersville GA
    June 1 - 3 - 3 nights, McKinney Campground, another COE campground, Cartersville GA
    June 29 - July 2 - 3 nights, McKinney Campground, Cartersville GA
    July 17 - 22 - 5 nights, reservations made for Watson Mill Bridge State Park, Comer GA

these are trips we already have booked reservations/plans for:

Aug 17 - 19, 2 nights, Sweetwater Campground, COE Lake Allatoona
    Sept 6 - 10 - 4 nights, GA FALL RALLY, McKinney Campground,
    Sept 14- 16, 3 nights, Flint River WMA, Vienna GA, boondocking/hunting trip

3. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Tampa to L.A. Christmas, Tampa to Lansing, Spring Break, Tampa to L.A. Summer, Tampa to Lansing, Late Summer. October one night to Rainbow Pointe, Florida. December one night to Oscar Sherer, florida. Several nights at the Sky Bridge, St. Petersburg when we can make it over to go fishing. Our favorite boondocking spot. Somewhere Thanksgiving, but have not decided where. Looks like about 4 months total we will be sleeping in our Aliner. 15 ft Camper with wife and 2 dogs. We did the same last year. I wonder if I can rent our stick house out for the 4 months. :)

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

During Spring break we stayed at Castaways CG (Berlin, MD) near Assateague National Seashore for 4 nights

For Fathers Day weekend we went to Cedar Creek CG in Bayville, NJ for 2 nights

We did a 2 1/2 week trip to Colorado
    Buckeye Lake KOA - 1 night
    Indianapolis KOA - 1 night
    St. Peters, MO - 1 night
    Salina, KS KOA - 1 night
    La Junta, CO KOA - 1 night
    Alamosa, CO KOA - 2 nights
    Durango, CO KOA - 2 nights
    Grand Junction, CO KOA - 1 night
    Rocky Mountain NP (Moraine CG) - 3 nights
    Ogallala, NE (Country View CG) - 1 night
    Des Moines West KOA - 1 night
    Middlebury, IN KOA - 1 night
    Mercer, PA KOA - 1 night

Also went back to Cedar Creek CG in Bayville, NJ for 3 nights this month

It looks as though our last trip of the season we will be going to Knoebels CG with 3 other families in October for 2 nights.

5. silvermickey2002

Well, looks like our October trip will not happen [:(]

Our son is starting his Eagle project and we need all the weekends we will have available so he can get the project completed before Thanksgiving!

Oh well, there's next year to look forward to!!! [:D]

6. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

We used to vacation (from California) to the SouthWest coast (Sanibel and Manasota Key were favorites) in the summer. Sounds nuts but on the coast it is great weather. Where are you located in Tampa? I'd be willing to rent your place for 2 or 3 weeks if the location is right!

7. silvermickey2002

Well, after speaking with the DW and DS we arranged our schedules and will be going to Knoebels afterall!!! [:D]

The DS and I will do some work on his Eagle Project on a few weekdays to free up a weekend so we can enjoy the last hurrah with the pup and friends for the season!! [:D]

8. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

Since we got the PuP almost a month ago, I'm beginning to think there is no such thing as too much camping!!! We're trying to go every other weekend. First time out was Aug 18th to Kaibab Lake USFS GC. Next time out was Labor Day weekend when we went to Dogtown Lake USFS GC. Both of those spots are near Williams, AZ within an hour from home. Next weekend we're going to Pinegrove USFS CG near Flagstaff, AZ.
    As you can probably tell, being noob rookies, we took the advice here of camping close to home the first few times. We'll try to do a repeat at one of the previous campgrounds before they close at the end of September. We're going down to Cottonwood, AZ today to check out Dead Horse Ranch State Park camp ground. Would love to do the Ales on Rails run of the Verde Railroad and camp a few nights so we don't have to drive back north.
    Then we're hoping to do some camping a bit south during the winter months. Not sure where just yet. The most ambitious trip we will plan for the summer of 2013. 5 days or so at the North Rim of Grand Canyon if we can fine tune the TV enough to make the pull up to Jacob's Lake. Some pretty steep switchbacks out of House Rock Valley.
    I guess we're pretty much hooked on our PuP so to speak!!!

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

updating our plans for the year:

nights camped so far:
    Jan 27-29 - 2 nights at Redtop Mtn State Park, Cartersville GA
    Feb 17-19 - 2 nights at Chattahoochie Bend State Park, Whitesburg GA
    Mar 23 - 25 - 2 nights at Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rutledge GA
    Apr 10 - 15 - 5 Nights Cosby Campground, Cosby TN, Great Smokey Mtns National Park
    Apr 27 - 29 - 2 nights Cloudland Canyon Campground, Rising Fawn GA, National Cornbread Festival, South Pittsburgh TN
    May 15 - over night trip to McKinney Campground
    May 25 - 28 - 3 nights, Memorial Day Weekend, Upper Stamp Creek COE Campground, Cartersville GA
    June 1 - 3 - 3 nights, McKinney Campground, another COE campground, Cartersville GA
    June 29 - July 2 - 3 nights, McKinney Campground, Cartersville GA
    July 17 - 22 - 5 nights, reservations made for Watson Mill Bridge State Park, Comer GA
    Aug 17 - 19, 2 nights, Sweetwater Campground, COE Lake Allatoona
    Sept 6 - 10 - 4 nights, GA FALL RALLY, McKinney Campground,

these are trips we already have booked reservations/plans for:

Sept 13- 16, 3 nights, Flint River WMA, Vienna GA, boondocking/hunting trip

10. loriwatjen

loriwatjen New Member

Got our PUP in August. Went to camp on the New River in NC mountains Aug. 10-12, going to camp & do VA Creeper Trail Sept. 21-23, & trying to pull off a trip Nov. 3-6 to Myrtle Beach State Park in SC. I wish I could work out another trip in Oct., but I don't think I can work it in.

11. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

As soon as I get my TV back, need fuel pump, fuel lines and serpentine belt.Ouch.
    I plan on going every possible time I can. I have CG's all around me and have a window of time before they start to get busy, so work 5, Camp 2 [8D]

12. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Got several trips planned before the end of the year. Time to start booking trips for next year! :)

13. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Well our favorite park has been reopened after a decimating storm last July(2012)... so we have booked Memorial Day weekend for Chippewa National Forest (Norway Beach Recreation Area) on Cass Lake, MN. Can't wait to go... and apparently others can't either... yesterday all the sites were available... this morning there were 11... now there are 9 as we have booked 2! [PU]

14. ricko

ricko Member

Mine are more ideas than exact dates...

Mid-March Louisiana - DFIL visit camping on private land for a couple of days followed by three or four days on the beach in Gulfport/Biloxi MS
    April - natural Bridge SP or Cumberland Falls in KY
    May - KY Horse Park with a visit w/my Mom
    June - Myrtle Beach, SC
    July - College visit in OH/PA
    August - close to home
    September -
    October - Townsend/Great Smoky Mtns

That's about as close as we can get right now.

Ricko

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

April - Grand Canyon NP (South Rim) - don't know which weekend we'll go yet, so no reservations made (Unless we wait too long to make and it turns out to be spring break somewhere, we are fine waiting longer to make those.)

May - DH will probably be out of town for 2 separate conferences, so if there are any camping trips, it will be a solo for me, or a ladies' trip

June ??? Maybe a ladies' trip or a solo, DH is saving vacation for the other trips planned

July - booked 4 nights for Fourth of July weekend, at a small and fairly remote campground
    Colorado PUP Rally is 22-27 @ White Star USFS CG near Twin Lakes (that's an invite!) We're planning on doing about a 2 week trip, so will be there a couple of nights before the Rally, and move on to Rocky Mountain NP and Collegiate Peaks for the rest of the trip. Trying to coordinate with BIL for a hike and family visits, too, since they live near Denver.

August - July trip will probably run over a bit into Aug. We are thinking we may begin a fall trip over Labor Day, to AZ and southern UT. Maybe a ladies' trip.

Rest of the year ???

We hope to meet up with friends for the fall trip, at least part of it. The DH of that couple is heading for some serious surgery in the next couple of weeks, so if/how that will effect camping remains to be seen. The DW is one of my 2 ladies' trips pals, so some trips this year may be more simple for all of us.

16. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

This year we would also like to go places we haven't been yet, so it's going to be:

Vermont
    Grayson Highlands State Park
    Savannah
    Shenandoah River State Park

Returning to places we have been before:

OBX
    Chippokes
    Loft Mountain

Campit

17. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Planned so far:
    Central Coast California
    Quartzsite AZ
    Moab UT
    San Juan Mountains CO

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Made reservations today for late April at Grand Canyon and several days in May at Arches NP

19. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Yesterday I booked 3 days at Cedar Point Amusement Park for the kids and 6 days at Turkey Run (IN) for DW and I. Stayed at both last yr on different trips and had a great time at both.

One other trip yet to be booked is Door County (WI) and some time in the UP (MI).

20. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Going to do a 6 or 7 night trip across the Rapid City, SD area in July. 2 nights at Wall, SD tentatively booked, 3 nights at Custer State Park booked and paid for and waiting on KOA to finalize 1 or 2 nights at Devils Tower, WY. Can't censored wait.